The Student Room Group

Module averages in second year counting towards final degree grade

Hi!

I’m a second year where my grades this year will count 25% towards my degree. I just got back my first module grade which would average out to around 42%, not what I really want. This was mainly because the module consisted of me having to film myself which I wasn’t good with.

My other module grades should be at least 60% though when I do them this year. I at least got 60% on every assignment in my first year, so I know I should be fine with my future module grades.

Will the 42% in one module really bring me down, though? My goal is a 2:1, and I was thinking just one module being 42% but the rest (hopefully) being higher grades should still average me out to a 2:1 In the end, but I would just like someone else’s opinion.

Thanks for reading
Original post by marukidio
Hi!

I’m a second year where my grades this year will count 25% towards my degree. I just got back my first module grade which would average out to around 42%, not what I really want. This was mainly because the module consisted of me having to film myself which I wasn’t good with.

My other module grades should be at least 60% though when I do them this year. I at least got 60% on every assignment in my first year, so I know I should be fine with my future module grades.

Will the 42% in one module really bring me down, though? My goal is a 2:1, and I was thinking just one module being 42% but the rest (hopefully) being higher grades should still average me out to a 2:1 In the end, but I would just like someone else’s opinion.

Thanks for reading

That one bad grade shouldn't stop you getting a 2.1 if all your other modules are 60+. Have you checked your degree regulations? Some unis discard the worst module score.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
That one bad grade shouldn't stop you getting a 2.1 if all your other modules are 60+. Have you checked your degree regulations? Some unis discard the worst module score.

I’m going to ask my lecturer about regulations tomorrow. I checked that the module itself is worth 20 credits, but I’m not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things, I was never the best at working out what numbers mean.
I’m going to ask my lecturer about regulations tomorrow. I checked that the module itself is worth 20 credits, but I’m not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things, I was never the best at working out what numbers mean.

Your regulations will be available online. You can probably find them via Google, which is what I do when people here can't work out their averages! 😀
Reply 4
Your regulations will be available online. You can probably find them via Google, which is what I do when people here can't work out their averages! 😀

I found the regulations but I have no idea what any of it means, I think it’s too early to be reading all this🥱

So, do you think if I get at least 60% in all future modules, the one module at 42% won’t pull me down from an overall 2:1? Literally the only reason I got such a low grade is because of the way it was examined.

Sorry if I still sound stupid. It’s early and I’m a little stressed that I got so low on my first module of second year -.-
I found the regulations but I have no idea what any of it means, I think it’s too early to be reading all this🥱

So, do you think if I get at least 60% in all future modules, the one module at 42% won’t pull me down from an overall 2:1? Literally the only reason I got such a low grade is because of the way it was examined.

Sorry if I still sound stupid. It’s early and I’m a little stressed that I got so low on my first module of second year -.-

Which uni is it?

It depends on how much over 60 you get and the detail in the regulations, tbh. Most unis have ways of upgrading near misses as well.
Reply 6
Which uni is it?

It depends on how much over 60 you get and the detail in the regulations, tbh. Most unis have ways of upgrading near misses as well.

I’m at Salford university.

Yeah, I’m gonna ask tomorrow about it, I just really hope just one bad module doesn’t pull me down so much. Otherwise there’s no point even carrying on the degree to only get a 40% overall really
I’m at Salford university.

Yeah, I’m gonna ask tomorrow about it, I just really hope just one bad module doesn’t pull me down so much. Otherwise there’s no point even carrying on the degree to only get a 40% overall really

It looks to me as though the lowest 20 credits in each of second and third years is discarded.
Reply 8
It looks to me as though the lowest 20 credits in each of second and third years is discarded.

If that’s true that is a HUGE relief thankyou ;-;
If that’s true that is a HUGE relief thankyou ;-;

Thats my interpretation so check with your tutor. It would be good if you let me know their answer.

Quick Reply

Latest