The Student Room Group

Lying about grades when applying for law firm open day?

Hello everyone!
I am a first year Oxford student. I plan to have a career in commercial law, preferably in a top tier law firm.
I have rather good A-levels A* A A, but my uni grades are not too good. I’m really struggling with the workload here and Mods are fast approaching so things are not looking good. I have been receiving 2:1 grades mostly below 65, one below 60 and some 67s. On my collections (a mock exam of which only one has been returned to me) I received 60.5%.

Anyway, I want to apply for some law firm open days this week and I know the uni grades are also very important, even though I am in first year. I want to apply to Baker McKenzie, Slaughter and May and Freshfields’ open days. I want to lie about my grades as they are asking me for the percentages specifically. I know this is bad blah blah. The big question is do you think I can get away with it? As in do they email the uni to confirm collection results or will they ask for proof. I’m sure they check when it comes to vac schemes or training contracts but this is just for open days. Also, would you recommend instead of giving my collection results I just give an average of my essays during term time which average out to a better grade i.e. 62 and 66 for Roman and Criminal respectfully.
Thanks in advance!
Original post by MizaL
Hello everyone!
I am a first year Oxford student. I plan to have a career in commercial law, preferably in a top tier law firm.
I have rather good A-levels A* A A, but my uni grades are not too good. I’m really struggling with the workload here and Mods are fast approaching so things are not looking good. I have been receiving 2:1 grades mostly below 65, one below 60 and some 67s. On my collections (a mock exam of which only one has been returned to me) I received 60.5%.

Anyway, I want to apply for some law firm open days this week and I know the uni grades are also very important, even though I am in first year. I want to apply to Baker McKenzie, Slaughter and May and Freshfields’ open days. I want to lie about my grades as they are asking me for the percentages specifically. I know this is bad blah blah. The big question is do you think I can get away with it? As in do they email the uni to confirm collection results or will they ask for proof. I’m sure they check when it comes to vac schemes or training contracts but this is just for open days. Also, would you recommend instead of giving my collection results I just give an average of my essays during term time which average out to a better grade i.e. 62 and 66 for Roman and Criminal respectfully.
Thanks in advance!

They either do or they dont. If you feel that is the way to get ahead, then it is your choice.

Unlikely they check for open days.
If they ask for specific grades then that might not be up for interpretation.
If they find you have lied or deceived, then you will just have to deal with that.
The fact you are asking in the first place would make me question your suitability.
Reply 2
The grades you have are fine for an open day application. I don’t think they’ll check but there’s no point in lying as they might well check further down the line if you end up applying for a VS/TC.
Lying about grades at any point of any career is not a good idea at all. I wouldn't risk it if I were you!
Reply 4
lol.
Lying about grades = dishonesty. Don't even go there...
Reply 6
Original post by MizaL
I know this is bad blah blah.

The basic question here is do you have any honesty, integrity or scruples?

I implore to inspect these alien words in your nearest dictionary.

(Plagiarism, too, while you're at it)
Reply 7
You're a first-year law student. The grades you have received presumably do not count towards your final year mark. You can only quote your end of year mark after your formal examinations.

Kill two birds with one stone - Write N/A. It's the truth, and you don't need to lie (which is obviously a ridiculous idea).
If you lie, you are taking a spot from someone who is probably better than you and has more integrity. I'm sure there are city firms where a complete tosser would fit in, but maybe find out by asking rather than, well, being a tosser.
Don't lie. If they ask for your transcript then you're screwed. They might even blacklist you after that.
Original post by MizaL
Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance!

don't lie about your grades. You scored 2:1s. Those are good grades. Order a transcript and send it to them if they ask for one. DO NOT LIE ABOUT YOUR GRADES you might face legal consequences. What can you do.. is to study and get better grades during your second semester (firsts) so your average will be higher.
(edited 4 years ago)
Never lie about your grades . Friend is an associate in the MC - Oxbridge degree then GDL .
If you get further than the assessment stage they will ask for transcripts and breakdown of your modules .
Best thing you can do is own it , tell then up front , explain why you thought it happened and how you intend correcting it - that’s what they did .
As some have said , lying is not a great start to your career and if found out , you may as well forget about it .
Original post by MizaL
Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance!

Collections are not formal exam results - an Oxford Law transcript will only state your Mods and Finals results. I think you can just put N/A, and if people ask, say you haven't taken any exams yet but are consistently achieving 2:1s in regular coursework.

Do not lie - you never know if or when it will come back to bite you. Honesty is hugely important to the legal profession, and dishonesty-related offences can get you disbarred or disqualified. It is absolutely not worth the risk.

More importantly, have you figured out why you haven't been doing well and are you actively taking steps to improve? A solid 2:1 is very doable at Oxford. You still have some time before Mods, and you should speak to your tutor if you don't understand why you're under-performing (e.g. exam technique, time management).
Lol it's never even come into my mind to put collection marks down! You put N/A, you haven't taken any real exams yet. All is good :smile:
Have you not watched suits?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending