The Student Room Group

Name your favourite book and win free food!!

We're giving away 45 free Chiquito Nachos worth £4.49! :eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3:

To be in with a chance of winning this awesome prize, simply tell us what your favourite book is and why you love it in this thread.

The competition closes on 4th February 2020, when we will announce the winners! :king1:

Good luck!

Terms and Conditions

You can also increase your chances of winning by entering our other competitions on Instagram and Twitter. Just click through the links and follow the instructions there!

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My favorite book is I survived By Lauren Tarshis. I love it because it is a great action book and it keeps you reading.

My favourite book is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I love this book because it shows you what life is like with autism. It is also very interesting.
I wish I could read now :banghead:
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea. Beautiful, short, poetic, but so blunt it's almost painful. Mishima definitely goes down as one of the greatest Japanese writers. Without spoiling it, it's about a mother who is a very successful businesswoman, her son, who is involved in a gang of 14 year olds with interesting ideologies which are mostly anti-establishment, and a sailor who is involved in a love affair with the mother, and is realising that he has not achieved anything great in his life, despite his feelings when he was younger that he was supposed to be someone. It's super short like 200 pages, but really stays with you. (Warning that it was written in the early 1900's, and although the language is fine to read, there's some inherently sexist comments that as a modern reader just makes you go hmm okay). 10/10 would absolutely recommend
#BooksLiterature&ComicsActuallyExists :yep:

Tough choices - my favourite book is probably the Titans Curse my Rick Riordan :love: mainly because of the characters and how the plot developed in that particular book, compared to the others in the series :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by funny ty
My favorite book is I survived By Lauren Tarshis. I love it because it is a great action book and it keeps you reading.

Great answer! Is that a series of books? If so do you have a personal favourite from the series?
Original post by veronaaimee15
My favourite book is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I love this book because it shows you what life is like with autism. It is also very interesting.

That does sound really interesting, how would you sum up the story? (Without any spoilers please! May have to give it a read)
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
I wish I could read now :banghead:

Favourite picture book?
My favourite book is The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. I think the author's writing is beautiful, I haven't been able to read another book since because it just doesn't stand a chance. The Cruel Prince is the first book in the Folk of The Air series and I read the whole thing in hours. The characters are addictive and realistic, I love the way the story line twists in such unexpected ways that makes me want to read more. Realistic friendships, realistic love and realistic conflict in a fantasy setting that makes me believe that the faerie world really could exist!
What is a chiquito nacho? :beard: and why specifically 45
My favourite book is The Great Gatsby because his one of the few literary characters in literature I can identify with. I feel his pain and I know his pain. You would do everything for the one you love but your feelings are never reciprocated. I share his drive and ambition to change his circumstances, I too really want to make something of myself and not be like my family, I want to distance myself from them and be different. I also love the fact that the novel is written in the first person narrative. Not the biggest fan of third person narratives if I am honest. It is one of the few books that I got through very quickly. I also love the movie I think I watched it more than 5 times already. I also love the 1920s it was such a fun time period.
Holes by Louis Sachar as I just find it so facinating. I also find the main character so relatable.
Original post by ProbablyPallas
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea. Beautiful, short, poetic, but so blunt it's almost painful. Mishima definitely goes down as one of the greatest Japanese writers. Without spoiling it, it's about a mother who is a very successful businesswoman, her son, who is involved in a gang of 14 year olds with interesting ideologies which are mostly anti-establishment, and a sailor who is involved in a love affair with the mother, and is realising that he has not achieved anything great in his life, despite his feelings when he was younger that he was supposed to be someone. It's super short like 200 pages, but really stays with you. (Warning that it was written in the early 1900's, and although the language is fine to read, there's some inherently sexist comments that as a modern reader just makes you go hmm okay). 10/10 would absolutely recommend

Wow that sounds fascinating, I don't think I have ever read a book from a Japanese writer before so would definitely be keen to give it a try.
Original post by Chronoscope
#BooksLiterature&ComicsActuallyExists :yep:

Tough choices - my favourite book is probably the Titans Curse my Rick Riordan :love: mainky because of the characters and how the plot developed in that particular book, compared to the others in the series :smile:

I read the Lightening Thief years ago and loved it, never read any of the other books though, definitely need to finish the series sometime!
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien. Beautiful. It's basically an epic prequel to Lord of the Rings. Tolkien has devised an entire creation story of God and how he made powerful spirits who came onto Middle Earth and started planting trees and making the land beautiful in preparation for the coming of the Children of Ilúvatar, i.e. elves and men. The book spans hundreds if not thousands of years and reads like an epic mythology, detailing the lives and heroic deeds of some of the most interesting elves, men and spirits in Middle Earth's history, as well as the rise of Sauron, who was originally one of the nice spirits who came down onto Middle Earth.

It's just totally my kind of book: full of myth, legend, folklore, medieval-like kings and societies, adventure, heroism and extremely interesting, unique characters such as Fëanor, his seven sons, Beren, Lúthien, Melian, Thingol etc. Tolkien's genius is almost unbearable and it's mad to consider how he created an entire world, languages and an epic history so detailed that it really feels as if you're reading a historical account of another planet.

Lord of the Rings is probably my favourite series of books ever, I have never read the Silmarillion but it is definitely on my list, I also heard they are making a TV series based on it, have you heard much about this?
Original post by TortoiseSheldon
Wow that sounds fascinating, I don't think I have ever read a book from a Japanese writer before so would definitely be keen to give it a try.

If you want to get into Japanese literature, Murakami might be a bit less harsh to start off with than Mishima. Mishima had a fascinating life so if you want to jump straight into him definitely give his Wikipedia page a read first, otherwise you'll probably be like what the hell is wrong with this guy. Alternatively, Norwegian Wood by Murakami is FANTASTIC.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by TortoiseSheldon
That does sound really interesting, how would you sum up the story? (Without any spoilers please! May have to give it a read)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is about a boy named Christopher Boone, a 15-year-old, who is good at Maths but finds people confusing. The story starts with Christopher discovering a dead dog in his neighbor, Mrs. Shears', garden. ..
Original post by ProbablyPallas

Great choice! Read this about a year ago and it's probably worked its way up alongside my other favourites.
Can i introduce you to the only book you will ever need: the communist manifesto The simpsons and their mathematical secrets. It's a break down of so many incredibly nerdy jokes, particularly in the background, of the simpsons and why they're so funny. It's definitely worth recommending if you're incredibly sad.

Quick Reply

Latest