The Student Room Group

Illustration BA while living in a beautiful inspiring place

I'm a Brazilian student and as such, I'm having trouble finding the perfect place for me to go.I'm into traditional art, watercolour, ink, oil, pastel, colored pencils, graphite - anything that gets my hands dirty. I love the golden age of illustration and of animation (especially disney's concept art), pre-raphaelites... Some of my favorite contemporanean illustrators are PJ Lynch, Alan Lee and Jim Kay. I love stories and poetry. I love to write and create my own. I only use digital art to touch ups, covers and such. I'm inspired by nature and forests, I adore myth and fairy tales and books in general, picturesque villages, art, animals - and I'm a vegan. I'd like to go somewhere that would inspire me and my work, and if possible with nice vegan restaurants.I'm also a bit worried about prejudice, being a Brazilian and all. I am well aware that all those things all blended into one perfect place is probably impossible to find, but perhaps something that resembles that. That being said, I also looked into Hertfordshire Uni in Hatfield - I'm leaning towards it for they have a channel here in Brazil and it eases the proccess, and it's near London, cultural center vegan friendly city with lots of international students and affordable tuition, but I also looked into Westminster (Jim Kay went there) and UAL in London (the student work looks very digital, so idk) and Brighton (looks like Chris Riddell went there), Loughbourough, Falmouth and Gloucestershire.I don't know where to begin, where's the best place to go careerwise, where I'd have quality of life and plus, I really NEED nature. I think Id die without it.Anyone got an opinion?

EDIT
It's VERY expensive in Brazilians to move to the UK, so I NEED to get this right to make worth it. I heard that the big two are UAL Camberwell and Falmouth, is that right?????????
AND What about Anglia Ruskin? I heard they have a bad rep - and yet I saw in their folio that one student won the penguin award and another the macmillan + in the same place as actual Cambridge where I could try to get into for English Lit (yes I know I'm crazy and think WAY ahead).
It's really hard to decide without actually visiting the unis.
After your replies, I decided to apply for: UAL Camberwell (such a good rep and I want an MA at Goldsmith - where could I live outside London with easy access to UAL?), Falmouth (I read some students saying they have good relationship with publishers and you visit a lot of them, besides study trips abroad etc), Brighton (offer English Lit besides Illustration and artsy town) and UWE Bristol (industry ready, traveling abroad, placements, 1h distance from London, cheaper to live). MAYBE Anglia Ruskin.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lamagiedalice
I'm a Brazilian student and as such, I'm having trouble finding the perfect place for me to go.I'm into traditional art, watercolour, ink, oil, pastel, colored pencils, graphite - anything that gets my hands dirty. I love the golden age of illustration and of animation (especially disney's concept art), pre-raphaelites... Some of my favorite contemporanean illustrators are PJ Lynch, Alan Lee and Jim Kay. I love stories and poetry. I love to write and create my own. I only use digital art to touch ups, covers and such. I'm inspired by nature and forests, I adore myth and fairy tales and books in general, picturesque villages, art, animals - and I'm a vegan. I'd like to go somewhere that would inspire me and my work, and if possible with nice vegan restaurants.I'm also a bit worried about prejudice, being a Brazilian and all. I am well aware that all those things all blended into one perfect place is probably impossible to find, but perhaps something that resembles that. That being said, I also looked into Hertfordshire Uni in Hatfield - I'm leaning towards it for they have a channel here in Brazil and it eases the proccess, and it's near London, cultural center vegan friendly city with lots of international students and affordable tuition, but I also looked into Westminster (Jim Kay went there) and UAL in London (the student work looks very digital, so idk) and Brighton (looks like Chris Riddell went there), Loughbourough, Falmouth and Gloucestershire.I don't know where to begin, where's the best place to go careerwise, where I'd have quality of life and plus, I really NEED nature. I think Id die without it.Anyone got an opinion?

If you need nature then london (and hatfield) probably isn’t a good choice.

Brighton is in a national park (or close enough), Falmouth might be a bit too isolated for you.

I would suggest looking into Arts University Bournemouth and Anglia Ruskin (Cambridge School of Art) for places that are still diverse but close to nature and within easy reach of London and with good illustration courses.
Hi, I'm a student at Bournemouth Uni - The arts uni (AUB) is next door! Bournemouth is a great place, multicultural, lots of vegan and veggie restaurants (many UK restaurants now offer lots of vegan options, so I'm sure you won't struggle too much but I've found northern towns typically offer less), we have the beach, the New Forest, Hengistbury Head (great for nature), and we are only 90mins-2 hours away from London by train. I would definitely have a look at the courses AUB offer. Also have a look at some of the villages in Dorset and Hampshire - They have inspired many of the classical novels are are absolutely stunning! You could also look at Bristol and Bath, Brighton, Surrey on the outskirts of London, Plymouth, Exeter to see what they offer course wise.

Hi there

We do offer a great Illustration course at Westminster however the campus is based in Harrow in North West London. You would need to get a train out to any areas of natural beauty. You definitely won't find natural beauty on your doorstep. However I'm sure you would love the Harrow Campus for its vibrancy and student experience. In all honesty if you need nature you should consider Bournemouth, Falmouth or Gloucestershire.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team

Hi Iamagiedalice,

ARU (Anglia Ruskin University) have an illustration degree based on our Cambridge campus. View student work here. It's very varied as our lecturers and facilities are there to help you develop in areas you want to develop in, rather than force you to take a certain style. So hopefully there's something that would peak your interest.

Cambridge is an idyllic city and perfect for student life. Everything is in walking distance and open spaces are in abundance. If you like rivers, willow trees, birds, greens, botanical gardens and historic architecture, Cambridge is the place for you. Oh, and cows - we have lots of cows on our commons throughout summer - making places like Midsummer Common the perfect place to stop for a rest.

That doesn't mean it's all countryside though. We're still a city with two shopping malls and plenty of supermarkets in walking and cycling distance, with nightlife, restaurants and cafes all in the city centre. Mill Road, near campus is also a buzzing community with small restaurants, bars and stores.

In terms of vegan eating, Arjuna Wholefoods is a 2 minute walk from the main campus (just on Mill Road) and is a hot spot for vegans for both food and beauty products (not to mention their vegan takeaway lunch menu). Meanwhile restaurants like Stem + Glory are popping up all over the city due to supply & demand. The city itself is full of students from all over the world and ARU students have even made a Latin American Society - a great place to meet other people, have discussions and try some food & drink including “Venezuelan & Colombian maized-based Arepas”, “Cuba libre”, and “Brazilian caipirinha” among others.

If you have any questions about the city of Cambridge, the nearby countryside on your doorstep in East Anglia or the Illustration course itself, please do let us know!

Best wishes,
Megan
#TeamARU
(edited 4 years ago)
I've lived in Brighton all my life and it sounds perfect for you- it's generally really accepting so I doubt you'll experience much prejudice, and there are tons of vegan restaurants (I'm vegan and I always have so much choice). Additionally, I think it's really naturally inspiring in that you're right on the coast and near to the south downs so if you're inspired by nature at all it's great for art and storytelling. In general, it's just a very artsy place. Additionally, its only about an hour to London by train, so you're quite close to lots of major art galleries and things.
I'm a Brazilian as well, but I live in Scotland so the experience will be somewhat different. I would suggest somewhere near London as it would probably have most of the things you would think of when you think about Britain. Most universities here are actually very good, in contrast to the Brazilian system with its private and public universities. Most of the things you mentioned are easily accessible in the UK, we're an island so it's difficult to ever be too far away from something. Transportation here is great, you can access most of the country easily, unlike Brazil that is pretty much inaccessible inland.

Hello @lamagiedalice

Glad to hear that you are interested in Hertfordshire! For me I find that living in Hatfield offers a good balance. The town isn't too rural and is close to London (a 25 minute train journey), however there are still quite a few green spaces.

Hatfield town centre itself isn't that inspiring but that's separate to our campuses. The College Lane courses (on which our Art & Design courses are taught) has a large green area in the centre of the accommodation area and several ponds, sculptures and sports facilities. The Old Town and Hatfield House offer a more historic feel (Hatfield House was once home to Queen Elizabeth I and also visited by Queen Victoria). Nearby (10 minute bus journey away) is the roman city of St Albans which has a large cathedral, high street with designer shops/restaurants and several parks. Around Hatfield there are large grassy areas such as the old airfield site, and the River Lea.

Additionally there are a couple of vegan cafes in Hatfield, however all of our on-campus cafes/shops have vegan options on the menu. The University of Hertfordshire is a very welcoming place for international students with over 3,800 international students from over 100 countries. I don't think we have a Brazilian society, although we do have a Portuguese Society which I believe has a couple of Brazilian members.

Below I have attached a few photos of the area:

Hatfield House & Gardens

Old Hatfield

College Lane Accommodation

College Lane Campus

Landscape of the old Hatfield Airport

St Albans Cathedral

I am in my final year at the University of Hertfordshire so let me know if you have any questions about the University of life in Hatfield. You can find contact details for Thais Zorron Do Nascimento of our South America office here.

Boa sorte!
Original post by skittish
I've lived in Brighton all my life and it sounds perfect for you- it's generally really accepting so I doubt you'll experience much prejudice, and there are tons of vegan restaurants (I'm vegan and I always have so much choice). Additionally, I think it's really naturally inspiring in that you're right on the coast and near to the south downs so if you're inspired by nature at all it's great for art and storytelling. In general, it's just a very artsy place. Additionally, its only about an hour to London by train, so you're quite close to lots of major art galleries and things.

Hi there, sounds like a great place for me indeed. Thank you! I'll definitely apply.
Original post by PQ
If you need nature then london (and hatfield) probably isn’t a good choice.

Brighton is in a national park (or close enough), Falmouth might be a bit too isolated for you.

I would suggest looking into Arts University Bournemouth and Anglia Ruskin (Cambridge School of Art) for places that are still diverse but close to nature and within easy reach of London and with good illustration courses.

Hi there! I read somewhere Anglia Ruskin has a bad rep and I was wondering why is that. Do you know? Is it part of THE University of Cambridge? It's definitely the perfect location, but Brighton and UWE Bristol also have nice locations. Thanks for your help.
Original post by Uni of Westminster
Hi there

We do offer a great Illustration course at Westminster however the campus is based in Harrow in North West London. You would need to get a train out to any areas of natural beauty. You definitely won't find natural beauty on your doorstep. However I'm sure you would love the Harrow Campus for its vibrancy and student experience. In all honesty if you need nature you should consider Bournemouth, Falmouth or Gloucestershire.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team

Original post by ARUOfficial
Hi Iamagiedalice,

ARU (Anglia Ruskin University) have an illustration degree based on our Cambridge campus. View student work here. It's very varied as our lecturers and facilities are there to help you develop in areas you want to develop in, rather than force you to take a certain style. So hopefully there's something that would peak your interest.

Cambridge is an idyllic city and perfect for student life. Everything is in walking distance and open spaces are in abundance. If you like rivers, willow trees, birds, greens, botanical gardens and historic architecture, Cambridge is the place for you. Oh, and cows - we have lots of cows on our commons throughout summer - making places like Midsummer Common the perfect place to stop for a rest.

That doesn't mean it's all countryside though. We're still a city with two shopping malls and plenty of supermarkets in walking and cycling distance, with nightlife, restaurants and cafes all in the city centre. Mill Road, near campus is also a buzzing community with small restaurants, bars and stores.

In terms of vegan eating, Arjuna Wholefoods is a 2 minute walk from the main campus (just on Mill Road) and is a hot spot for vegans for both food and beauty products (not to mention their vegan takeaway lunch menu). Meanwhile restaurants like Stem + Glory are popping up all over the city due to supply & demand. The city itself is full of students from all over the world and ARU students have even made a Latin American Society - a great place to meet other people, have discussions and try some food & drink including “Venezuelan & Colombian maized-based Arepas”, “Cuba libre”, and “Brazilian caipirinha” among others.

If you have any questions about the city of Cambridge, the nearby countryside on your doorstep in East Anglia or the Illustration course itself, please do let us know!

Best wishes,
Megan
#TeamARU

Hi Megan! Wow, sounds like a great place for me. I do have a few questions though. What I liked about Falmouth was that they offer these study trips (in Europe, in the UK and abroad), you can go to Illustration and Art Fairs, and I heard they have a good relationship with publishers, so students get to visit them and some even manage to get gigs - does ARU offers that as well? As I'm going to be a Children's Book author and illustrator, I'm worried about exposure and networking. Also, I'm a very traditional hands on artist, I like to let the bare minimum for the computer, being so, would ARU be a good place for me?
BTW, I studied graphic design for a year in Brazil. Does that count as the Foundation Year? Westminster and Middlesex accepted.
Thanks for the reply!
Original post by skittish

Thank you! You were of great help. I'll definitely apply! Fingers crossed xx
Thank you! You were of great help. I'll definitely apply! Fingers crossed xx

I'm so glad! good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest