The Student Room Group

PGCE Maths

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has done a Maths PGCE and if they have any advice/tips on interviews etc? Thanks!!
I didn't do maths, but there is some generic advice/tips here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6193808

In England, there's such a shortage of maths teachers that you'd have to do something dire not to be able to find a place!
Original post by Brikena27
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has done a Maths PGCE and if they have any advice/tips on interviews etc? Thanks!!

*waves*

You need to frame your question rather more precisely. At the moment, it's vague! What do you want to know exactly?
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
*waves*

You need to frame your question rather more precisely. At the moment, it's vague! What do you want to know exactly?

Haha sorry! Fairly new to the TSR questioning process. I don't have a Maths related degree so I assume my interview will be quite important for my chance to get onto a course! I was wondering if you have to plan a lesson or activity for an interview or whether this depends on the uni/school?
Haha sorry! Fairly new to the TSR questioning process. I don't have a Maths related degree so I assume my interview will be quite important for my chance to get onto a course! I was wondering if you have to plan a lesson or activity for an interview or whether this depends on the uni/school?

It depends on the uni/school. Sometimes you have to say how you might approach a topic or bring in an item and say how you might use it as an engaging hook for learning. There is no general rule. Probably at least half of the people on the course won't have a mathematics related degree so you won't stick out like a sore thumb. They may want you to do a subject knowledge enhancement course.

My best, and sincere, advice is don't do it! If you have a half decent degree in a STEM subject then you should be able to get a job that is well paid, interesting, and one where you will be appreciated.

As most of the honest teachers will tell you, teaching in most UK state schools is hell. You will be expected to put up with appalling behaviour in the classroom. When you are not there SLT will take up the gauntlet and bully and humiliate you mercilessly. When they say jump you had better be damn good at saying how high, and with a big smile on your face. Then there's the vast amount of admin which has zero educational value. You will find yourself envying Sysiphus' punishment. But the cherry on the cake is that if you last a good few years and progress up the pay scale you will probably be managed out on a trumped up capability charge, so that you can be replaced by someone much cheaper.

About 45 years ago I can remember my chemistry teacher warning me off teaching, and things very vastly better then.
Before you take any notice of Mr Getling, you might like to read the Amazon reviews of one of his "books".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behind-School-Gates-Richard-Getling/product-reviews/1499791461/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews
(edited 4 years ago)

Please ignore Mr Getling - I love teaching Mathematics and it's very rewarding when a student suddenly 'gets' it. I've also been involved in interview potential PGCE students and Mr M is correct when he says interviews vary a lot. They will tell you what you need to prepare.

Tasks I've seen include:
* bring in an object and talk about it
* small group interview - given a maths problem to solve
* finding a misconception and discussing how to deal with it
* prepare a talk on a Maths topic

I'd familiarise yourself with the new GCSE spec - do a past paper perhaps?
Original post by Muttley79
Please ignore Mr Getling - I love teaching Mathematics and it's very rewarding when a student suddenly 'gets' it. I've also been involved in interview potential PGCE students and Mr M is correct when he says interviews vary a lot. They will tell you what you need to prepare.

Tasks I've seen include:
* bring in an object and talk about it
* small group interview - given a maths problem to solve
* finding a misconception and discussing how to deal with it
* prepare a talk on a Maths topic

I'd familiarise yourself with the new GCSE spec - do a past paper perhaps?

Yes, teaching can most certainly be very rewarding, but not in the vast majority of UK schools. I myself have very fond memories of teaching in Christchurch Girls High School, in New Zealand, and also Berlin British School and Berlin and Brandenburg International School in Germany. And, I was one of the most popular teachers in them. But they were not UK schools.

Why do you think there's a teaching crisis in the UK? It's definitely not the money! Myself and many others issuing the warnings are like someone trying to help others avoid falling down a hole by putting up a sign to alert them of the danger. Unfortunately, misery loves company, so there are no shortage of others who get satisfaction covering the hole over and watching others fall into it too.

Hello!

As mentioned, the interviews for teacher training courses vary dramatically. Each individual teacher training course provider will have their own recruitment criteria and so the interviews will be adapted to make sure you are able to demonstrate the skills and qualities that they are looking for.

As the providers and interviews differ so greatly, there are a team of qualified and experienced teachers, who are happy to discuss the issues that other posted have raised, and if you do decide to pursue an application for a Teacher Training course, we can help with every aspect of that. Please register your interest here - or call 0800 389 2500 for a teacher training adviser.

All the best! :smile:

Jane

Hello! So, extreme opinions aside... :rolleyes:
Did you do Maths A Level? Was your degree in any way related to Maths (e.g Engineering). Each provider will have varying amounts of flexibility on what is or isn't accepted and how long your SKE will be . Generally most providers will require the planning and delivery of either a lesson to a class, group or a presentation. My advice, if Maths is what you're set on, is to be familiar with Maths National Curriculum, (the basics!) and what's expected in KS3 and 4 at the least.
Teaching can be incredibly rewarding, don't let people put you off if this is your passion!

Quick Reply

Latest