The Student Room Group

Is losing at least 7 marks on a test bad or good in physics?

I think I dropped at least 7 marks is that bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ezza1234

For just one test? It's not too bad unless your grades are dropping every time you do a test. If it is, you may need to relook at your learning styles.
Original post by Hazelly
For just one test? It's not too bad unless your grades are dropping every time you do a test. If it is, you may need to relook at your learning styles.

Yeah just one test no my grades aren’t dropping? Is it bad?
Yeah just one test no my grades aren’t dropping? Is it bad?

It’s not bad at all, it might just be a blip
Depends on what the test is out of and what level it is tbf
Original post by Hazelly
It’s not bad at all, it might just be a blip

Okay thanks so much! :smile:
Okay thanks so much! :smile:

No problem, it might be worth completing some past papers in your own time to see how you're doing in general?
Original post by Hazelly
No problem, it might be worth completing some past papers in your own time to see how you're doing in general?

Good idea!! the marks I lost were mainly because I didn’t understand the questions and the other few was I wrote the correct answer and crossed it out or just did a silly mistake
Good idea!! the marks I lost were mainly because I didn’t understand the questions and the other few was I wrote the correct answer and crossed it out or just did a silly mistake

Perhaps you could go through the paper with your teacher?
Original post by Hazelly
Perhaps you could go through the paper with your teacher?

Yeah I will:smile:
Depends what the test is out of, if you got 13/20 it’s very different to 93/100 :smile:
If you understand where you went wrong and can compete those questions now and get the marks then it’s nothing to worry about :smile:
Reply 11

How many marks is it out of? I'm assuming this is a GCSE Physics exam (out of 100)? I'm an extreme perfectionist, especially about tests (so I'm not going to tell you to be happy with your mark as that would be somewhat hypocritical and it's not my business), but in terms of grade boundaries you are doing really well, only about 73 marks is needed for a grade 9, and the highest anyone I've known has ever got on a GCSE Physics paper is 98 (although that was a mock, I don't know how many marks he actually got), so you have nothing to worry about in terms of grade boundaries. In the actual GCSE Physics if you dropped 8 or 9 marks across both papers (let alone one), you'd still easily get a 9. If you're worried about it then go back over your paper afterwards and make sure you understand and can correct all the questions you got wrong, and make sure you note down any kind of recurring mistakes that you made (I did this for the 24 marks that I lost across my two GCSE Physics mock papers). I also advise talking to your teacher about it, this is a must.

Of course, I'm assuming this is for one 100 mark paper, and as always, that you didn't lose significantly more marks than you think you lost (I thought I'd got full marks on one of my Biology papers but actually got 87/100, it always difficult to predict marks lost). Good luck :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
Depends what the test is out of, if you got 13/20 it’s very different to 93/100 :smile:
If you understand where you went wrong and can compete those questions now and get the marks then it’s nothing to worry about :smile:

True!! thanks for the tip :smile::smile:
Original post by laurawatt

I think it is out of 35 ish it’s not a full paper
Original post by Zoqua
How many marks is it out of? I'm assuming this is a GCSE Physics exam (out of 100)? I'm an extreme perfectionist, especially about tests (so I'm not going to tell you to be happy with your mark as that would be somewhat hypocritical and it's not my business), but in terms of grade boundaries you are doing really well, only about 73 marks is needed for a grade 9, and the highest anyone I've known has ever got on a GCSE Physics paper is 98 (although that was a mock, I don't know how many marks he actually got), so you have nothing to worry about in terms of grade boundaries. In the actual GCSE Physics if you dropped 8 or 9 marks across both papers (let alone one), you'd still easily get a 9. If you're worried about it then go back over your paper afterwards and make sure you understand and can correct all the questions you got wrong, and make sure you note down any kind of recurring mistakes that you made (I did this for the 24 marks that I lost across my two GCSE Physics mock papers). I also advise talking to your teacher about it, this is a must.

Of course, I'm assuming this is for one 100 mark paper, and as always, that you didn't lose significantly more marks than you think you lost (I thought I'd got full marks on one of my Biology papers but actually got 87/100, it always difficult to predict marks lost). Good luck :smile:

It’s out of 35 because it’s not a full paper Yes that’s a good idea of noting down any mistakes thank you!! If you don’t mind me asking what did you end up getting in your actual gcse? 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂
Reply 15
It’s out of 35 because it’s not a full paper Yes that’s a good idea of noting down any mistakes thank you!! If you don’t mind me asking what did you end up getting in your actual gcse? 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

For Physics or in general? I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, although still alright. I got 9s in Maths (225/240), History (161/168), Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, 8 in English Literature (off 9 by 2 marks, remark unsuccessful, mainly due to poor time management and a horrible Jane Eyre question), 7 in English Language and French, and an A in FSMQ. The reason I was disappointed was because I was aiming for 9s in English as well (French I've always sucked at so I wasn't so fussed about it as long as I got 7-9).

I basically just locked myself in my room all day after collecting my results, it's a very weird day full of very mixed feelings, or at least it was for me (I never want to see, read or even touch a copy of Jane Eyre again). Luckily though I did do well in the subjects actually relevant to my A levels (Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics + EPQ).

Anyway, even if you think you lost at least 7 out of 35, the advice about noting down mistakes and talking to your Physics teacher about the questions still stands. Freesciencelessons is a really good revision resource for science GCSEs by the way, if you're unclear on anything. Good luck with GCSEs :smile:, and remember that time management may make the difference between grades (as it did for me).
Original post by Zoqua
For Physics or in general? I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, although still alright. I got 9s in Maths (225/240), History (161/168), Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, 8 in English Literature (off 9 by 2 marks, remark unsuccessful, mainly due to poor time management and a horrible Jane Eyre question), 7 in English Language and French, and an A in FSMQ. The reason I was disappointed was because I was aiming for 9s in English as well (French I've always sucked at so I wasn't so fussed about it as long as I got 7-9).

I basically just locked myself in my room all day after collecting my results, it's a very weird day full of very mixed feelings, or at least it was for me (I never want to see, read or even touch a copy of Jane Eyre again). Luckily though I did do well in the subjects actually relevant to my A levels (Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics + EPQ).

Anyway, even if you think you lost at least 7 out of 35, the advice about noting down mistakes and talking to your Physics teacher about the questions still stands. Freesciencelessons is a really good revision resource for science GCSEs by the way, if you're unclear on anything. Good luck with GCSEs :smile:, and remember that time management may make the difference between grades (as it did for me).

Congratulations for the AMAZING grades!! Could you please explain what you mean by time management as I dot tend to run out of time in exams? . Also what are your tips in getting 9 in maths sciences and eight in English And geography ie how did you revise and and tips and tricks because I really want to get 9’s and 8’s!!! Many thanks :smile:
Original post by Zoqua

Also I’ve got a geography topic test tomorrow I have made revision cards and learnt them do you think that is effective? Also I’ve got a maths test on straight lines coming up in a few weeks how do you think I should revise for them in order to achieve a 9 thanks so much!!! :smile:

what a stupid question! lol it is always bad to drop marks
Original post by Nawaas64
what a stupid question! lol it is always bad to drop marks

Ok.

Quick Reply

Latest