The Student Room Group

Wales to bring in smacking ban.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leviathan1611
by definition, beating your kids as discipline is violence, because you're doing it with the intent to hurt.

Fair enough, it’s been a long long day
Original post by Greywolftwo
Fair enough, it’s been a long long day

yeah, I wish I could sleep
yeah, I wish I could sleep

I genuinely can’t sleep, I’m even listening to LBC to try to bore myself to sleep
I genuinely can’t sleep, I’m even listening to LBC to try to bore myself to sleep

just watch a movie😂😂

actually, scratch that, Watch this instead, pure boredom

https://youtu.be/pN7VQas4OgQ
(edited 4 years ago)
just watch a movie😂😂

Nah LBC is actually the best when you can’t sleep, most of what people say when they phone in doesn’t make sense but even more so when your tired
just watch a movie😂😂

actually, scratch that, Watch this instead, pure boredom

https://youtu.be/pN7VQas4OgQ

I’d say we’re probably on graveyard shift right now on TSR
I’d say we’re probably on graveyard shift right now on TSR

unfortunately yeah😂😂
Nah LBC is actually the best when you can’t sleep, most of what people say when they phone in doesn’t make sense but even more so when your tired

when I can't sleep I just watch vlives, I don't know why but I always get sleepy when I watch it in bed
There’s a difference between violence and discipline

Violence - behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

Hitting a child is by the very definition is violence, you can try to justify it any way you like but it will still be violence against a child.

Do you support violence against children?
Original post by black tea
Terrible idea. Children are already far too spoilt these days.

So violence against children is a good thing in your eyes?

How about violence against adults? Animals? Women?
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
So violence against children is a good thing in your eyes?

How about violence against adults? Animals? Women?

A slap is not violence.
Original post by tubphonecase
Yes, absolutely. Children deserve the same rights to protection from assault as adults do. If a random man came up to a child and hit them because he didn't like what they were doing, it would be totally unacceptable and he'd get in trouble, yet if the child's dad did it, it would be fine?
Teaching children that hitting those smaller and weaker than them is acceptable to get them to do what you want is not an acceptable in any way.
I instantly lose respect for anyone who would use violence on anyone defenceless, especially a child.

Your arguments are so flawed it's not worth talking about, who is advocating random people walking round the streets assaulting children, or creating a size based justification model on violence towards others?

Maybe learn the difference between discipline and abuse and assault and discipline, then come back.
(edited 4 years ago)
So you suggest kids should be allowed to do whatever they want when they are growing up without any kind of discipline?

No, who exactly was suggesting this? Are you actually proposing that hitting your child is the only way to discipline a child?
:spank:

Lovely, the nanny state (pardon the pun)
To be honest when I have children I probably wouldn’t smack them, just don’t think it’s necessary
Original post by Burton Bridge
Your arguments are so flawed it's not worth talking about, who is advocating random people walking round the streets assaulting children, or creating a size based justification model on violence towards others?

Maybe learn the difference between discipline and abuse and assault and discipline, then come back.

No it's not, it's a comparison. I never said anyone was advocating hitting random children, I asked why a person's relationship to that child makes it okay to hit them.
Hitting anyone is not okay, especially someone who cannot defend themselves, especially a child and especially a child who is supposed to be in your care.
Original post by SHallowvale
Care to substantiate any of this with data?

Typical answer, you dont have to provide data to back up every view point when its smacking us all in the face! You just need to open your eyes!

Copy/paste

Nearly one in four teachers are physically attacked by pupils at least once a week, a survey has suggested. Almost three in 10 (29 per cent) teachers have been hit, punched or kicked and nearly two in five (39 per cent) have been shoved or barged by students, a study from the NASUWT teaching union has revealed.20 Apr 2019

https://www.anttelecom.co.uk/blog/classroom-violence-statistics-uk

Youd reply will predictably jump on will stars which show violent crime falling since the 90's as a whole, but that only shows a fraction of the story. Knife crime for poorer demographics is rocketing for example.
The only problem is, society is getting worse since we have tried it your way.

Smacking has only recently become banned in two parts of the UK. How is society currently getting worse if 'my way' has only recently become the law?

So you suggest kids should be allowed to do whatever they want when they are growing up without any kind of discipline?

Nope. You can discipline a child without physically hitting them or being verbally abusive.

Original post by 1st superstar
Aww so i should never discipline my kid then (if i were to have one)?!? and you wonder why I am not a fan of my Generation (Gen Z)

1. I never said that. You can discipline a child without physically hitting them or being verbally abusive.
2. How old are you?
Typical answer, you dont have to provide data to back up every view point when its smacking us all in the face! You just need to open your eyes!

Copy/paste

Nearly one in four teachers are physically attacked by pupils at least once a week, a survey has suggested. Almost three in 10 (29 per cent) teachers have been hit, punched or kicked and nearly two in five (39 per cent) have been shoved or barged by students, a study from the NASUWT teaching union has revealed.20 Apr 2019

https://www.anttelecom.co.uk/blog/classroom-violence-statistics-uk

Youd reply will predictably jump on will stars which show violent crime falling since the 90's as a whole, but that only shows a fraction of the story. Knife crime for poorer demographics is rocketing for example.

You actually do. Anecdotes aren't sufficient enough evidence to claim that children are becoming less disciplined and/or that violence is rising.

With regards to physical attacks against teachers in school, how do these figures compare to 10-20-30 years ago?

I don't think you understand what the phrase "that only shows a fraction of the story" means; violence crimes have declined since the 90s and these statistics look at all violent crimes, not a fraction of them. Looking at knife crime and only in poorer demographics, as you suggest, would be looking at only a fraction.
Wonderful legislation. Had to rub my eyes many times reading this thread because I couldn’t believe how many people think whacking and causing pain to a child is OK. It’s disgusting, there is no evidence it’s effective and SHallowvale has already linked data showing it can cause problems. There are plenty of ways to discipline a child that don’t involve physical violence.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending