The Student Room Group

should I take maths a level?

I just finished gcse mocks and got an 8 in maths and bio and am planning to do them both for a level. my other choices are art and photography. i’m just wondering if this is too much work as I know that maths and art are incredibly time consuming. if I go into the science side of things it would be for veterinary science or zoology or ecology and if it was the more creative aspect it would be photography or interior design. are these good a level choices? is there anything I should know before starting? I enjoy maths and find it easy but I’m just wondering if it’s worth it?
Original post by Hope.stephenss
I just finished gcse mocks and got an 8 in maths and bio and am planning to do them both for a level. my other choices are art and photography. i’m just wondering if this is too much work as I know that maths and art are incredibly time consuming. if I go into the science side of things it would be for veterinary science or zoology or ecology and if it was the more creative aspect it would be photography or interior design. are these good a level choices? is there anything I should know before starting? I enjoy maths and find it easy but I’m just wondering if it’s worth it?

For a levels, the best advice i can give isdo what you enjoy, i do maths (aswell as bioand chem) a level and am really enjoying it but ive always loved it. I think that art will be time consuming, but maths not as much, but obviously this depends on the person aswell
Reply 2

Maths honestly isn’t that bad once you get into it as an A level
Maths is really good to have, as you need it for most STEM subjects, and with you getting an 8 your mocks for GCSE your probably more than capable.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Blossom-
going into year 12 I’d recommend you keep an open mind about dropping one of your subjects or taking one of them to AS if your school offers it as you may find the work load of those 4 a lot especially as art and photography are course based. I’d recommend thinking about what you’re more likely to do into and seeing what you need for it.

yeah don’t worry I’m definitely dropping one after the first year I’m just not sure which yet
Original post by Deenipops
For a levels, the best advice i can give isdo what you enjoy, i do maths (aswell as bioand chem) a level and am really enjoying it but ive always loved it. I think that art will be time consuming, but maths not as much, but obviously this depends on the person aswell

thanks so much
Original post by ibby68
Maths is really good to have, as you need it for most STEM subjects, and with you getting an 8 your mocks for GCSE your probably more than capable.

thanks but like how hard is it? like what topics do you learn?
thanks but like how hard is it? like what topics do you learn?

I sorta just started it and its ok so far lol. A lot of work tho. Not much harder than gcse, but tbh Im still on 1st year stuff. So I cant really talk for 2nd year content. But in all honesty you should be fine with the A level, in fact with an 8 some would encourage to do further maths but it really depends what you want to do, and if your willing to put the work in. However, Id strongly advise you to at least do the regular A level maths, as it is a pretty vital subject to go into a lot of areas,such as sciences that you mentioned you wanted to go into.

If you wanna just browse over topics to get a rough idea: look at Logarithms,Binomial Expansion,Integration to get an idea. The start of these are AS topics and are fairly simple imo.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
In my opinion, Maths is a necessity!

Maths can sometimes be difficult or confusing but you should be fine. For example, I spend a lot of my time understanding topics and doing plenty of past questions. Also, I receive plenty of help from my teachers.

Take Maths!

Quick Reply

Latest