The Student Room Group

Why tall people should feel very Lucky

It's strange why tall people don't feel like those lucky people they literally are. As they win the gene lottery

Scroll to see replies

Yes I get it, I need a girlfriend.
6'2" here, granted not the tallest of tall but at this points can get annoying for some things but actually really useful for other things.

high shelf? me.

trousers that actually fit me? need to order online M&S doesn't stick them forget about Primark I checked no chance.

small or low car? bound to hit your head every single time on the roof.

like riding bicycles? yeah find a 58cm+ frame. not too many available if you want to buy used.

in a crowd watching something? you see above everyone.
walking in a crowded corridor? ditto.

girlfriend? nope.

being tall has highs (hahahahaha) and lows.
pity it cannot be said for the old wives tales about the taller you are, the biggy one you have in the trouser department.
Reply 4
Original post by Kaspar Ambühl
6'2" here, granted not the tallest of tall but at this points can get annoying for some things but actually really useful for other things.

high shelf? me.

trousers that actually fit me? need to order online M&S doesn't stick them forget about Primark I checked no chance.

small or low car? bound to hit your head every single time on the roof.

like riding bicycles? yeah find a 58cm+ frame. not too many available if you want to buy used.

in a crowd watching something? you see above everyone.
walking in a crowded corridor? ditto.

girlfriend? nope.

being tall has highs (hahahahaha) and lows.

6'2 isn't that tall. I know, because I'm 6'2 as well...

And all the issues you talk about there are about proportions, not actual height. I get trousers anywhere, can fit into almost any car, bikes are easy.

You must have some really odd balance between leg length and back length.
it is the inside leg that is different.
ladies, you know what to do if it feels alright in your hands
Im 5'10 and i'm a girl, I don't feel lucky
Being shorter has some advantages. Shorter people and medium sized people have won the gene lottery too.
Being alive and in good health means that you've won the gene lottery. It's a generous lottery with more winners than losers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/mens-health/11906258/The-five-surprising-health-benefits-of-being-short.html
I don't even like tall guys, prefer someone my height
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski

And all the issues you talk about there are about proportions, not actual height. I get trousers anywhere, can fit into almost any car, bikes are easy.

I'm 6'2 myself and I don't consider myself as tall. Yes, I overlook the majority of the people but only by a bit. I know people that are a lot higher than me and they overshadow me completely.
Yes, talk people have an advantage
Being tall overrated.
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski

I'd always thought it's strange while women tall , complain about the leg room in cars and plane, given a typical tall woman is my height 182 cm on a good day, I'd never felt in need for further legroom in a plane or need more legroom in those cars I'd driven , and they have been all kind of middle-class cars , not limosine or mini cars. So winder why that always accure to be a problem for women about my height , or the shower thing. Now when you are really tall as my fiancee who happens to be stunning 198 cm tall , a giant for a woman. Your talk about things get right, but as she told me , everyone have things that they use to get hung up about. And it's hard to have all advantage in life, her problems is also her great advantage , being watch all time, she automatically draw all attention where ever she go. She love it and , the day she got my attention her life changed , as never before had a guy my height asked her to date, and today 4 years after we are going to marrie, and I'm going to jump to kiss her in the church, something she just love, when I challenge myself and try to grab a kiss without her kneeling towards me
Original post by zozomatthews
Im 5'10 and i'm a girl, I don't feel lucky

Fell so Dam sorry for you, I'd been living with quite some tall and very tall women during my adulthood, most were in the height range from my height and taller , roughly from 182 cm to my present fiancée who's stunning 198 cm tall. And yes some mentioned there height had caused them problems trough life. But also they're found out there problems were very insignificant compared to guys my height , we might have no physical problems, since everything is adjusted to our height that is the average height of our society. But in the psychic area, we average men height and get ridiculed all the time, as precisely the tall women, constantly telling us that taller men are far better men, and that men under 6 feet are not real men. Since it is clearly WAY to be told you are too small than too tall. These things never seems to have bothered them , as tall women never care about shorter guys feelings were. I'd manage to make them see what a fantastic life tall women and tall people in general have compared to shorter and normal height people have. And they all felt very embarrassed after a while, as the thing a tall woman can complain about on the mental site , as them never able to find a boyfriend for instance, were 99% a self-made problem, a thing easy to solve for all taller women , the only thing they need to do, the should turn there face a little down and try to date them guys only a few cm shorter than themselves and never again will they feel I need to miss a boyfriend, as 99% of all guys shorter than the woman would gladly date a taller woman. So if tall girls in general changed there attitude towards men not tall , there dating life would change from a nightmare to a wonderful thing, and suddenly most problem s tall woman use to face is gone, and at the same time men not tall feel as a human being again.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Being shorter has some advantages. Shorter people and medium sized people have won the gene lottery too.
Being alive and in good health means that you've won the gene lottery. It's a generous lottery with more winners than losers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/mens-health/11906258/The-five-surprising-health-benefits-of-being-short.html

Usually taller women hate guys not tall, and given most men avarage height are attached to and only want to date taller women of logical reasons ofcause, as dating a taller woman boost you self-esteem and make life much better. But the fact taller women hate guys not tall, hurts so dam much and dating can become a nightmare for nearly all men who haven't won the genetic lottery and becomes tall , with no efforts at all, only been that Lucia to have had tall parents too, and suddenly the gates to heaven opends up for people , simply just for crowing above normal height, and everything get different pretty hard to understand and accept for the great majority big people who didn't win the lifetime lottery and become tall
Original post by karelina
I don't even like tall guys, prefer someone my height

You should be given an for every guy who have been hummiliated because he were too short ( under 6 ' tall) and you will be a Welty woman
Original post by Anonymous
Usually taller women hate guys not tall, and given most men avarage height are attached to and only want to date taller women of logical reasons ofcause, as dating a taller woman boost you self-esteem and make life much better. But the fact taller women hate guys not tall, hurts so dam much and dating can become a nightmare for nearly all men who haven't won the genetic lottery and becomes tall , with no efforts at all, only been that Lucia to have had tall parents too, and suddenly the gates to heaven opends up for people , simply just for crowing above normal height, and everything get different pretty hard to understand and accept for the great majority big people who didn't win the lifetime lottery and become tall

Reading that Daily Telegraph article, I would take a 10% reduced chance of cancer at the cost of having an increased difficulty in getting a girlfriend as a trade-off any day of the week. That is a great genetic trade-off to have.

Your look at the advantages of being tall is unbalanced because you are not looking at the disadvantages as well.
Original post by Ruben jann
It's strange why tall people don't feel like those lucky people they literally are. As they win the gene lottery

See I’m currently 5’9 and I’m smaller than nearly everyone I know, boys and girls. I do wish I could be taller because it’s annoying but what I can’t make up for in height I make up for in strength
Being tall isn't always great, the lack of legroom on public transport is really uncomfortable.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Being tall isn't always great, the lack of legroom on public transport is really uncomfortable.

Would you swap that disadvantages for , the attraction every tall guy are given just for his height alone, from mainly shallow women who hardly ever look at a guy below 6' unless he stand on a big wallet, hope you get my point. I know from my fiancee there is a lot of psychical disadvantages being tall, but the mental advantage being respected and loved just for your height must be far more interesting . To your information my fiancee she's a giant 6'7 tall, so I'm avare of those tall disadvantages she face, but she love the attention she get all day long , and made it into an advantage instead
I’m 5’8 and female. I do feel privileged in that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending