The Student Room Group

Strugging With CIE AS & A Level Chemistry... :((:(( Major Anxiety...ugh

As the title says I am struggling with A-Level Chemistry under the exam board, CIE. I am currently debating whether to write both AS and A-Level exams May-June or AS now and A2 later this fall in October-November. Based on my grades at school, I am at a B. I got a very low B in my AS exams last year. I really need some help as to what I can do or where do I go so that my Chemistry grade will be at A.
(Prefers advice from those who have finished A-Level Chemistry especially under my exam board)
Reply 1
Hi! I'm also taking my A-Levels under CIE. I suggest taking AS now so you can focus on it and A2 later during October-November as I understand that there's a lot of content. You would have to take a deferred entry or a gap year though if it's done late but it's better done now than later. Well done on getting the B though and I'm sure an A grade isn't too far out of reach.
Thanks. I'll consider taking A2 later. If you don't mind me asking, what year are you in and how are you finding Chemistry?
Reply 3
Original post by nia(the_devoted)
Thanks. I'll consider taking A2 later. If you don't mind me asking, what year are you in and how are you finding Chemistry?

Not at all :>> I'm in my A Level year so second year of CIE A Levels. I have heard from previous exam takers within my school that the A Level exam is harder than the AS Levels so I would really suggest for you to focus on one at a time since they're both massive amounts of content to review for. I actually don't take Chemistry but do take Biology and Psychology (not that it helps). However, I do get lots of input from my best friend who is taking Chemistry as well and she struggled a lot at first. It takes a lot of work and don't beat yourself up for any score you get! I'm sure you've been doing great already.
Original post by lmaodan
Not at all :>> I'm in my A Level year so second year of CIE A Levels. I have heard from previous exam takers within my school that the A Level exam is harder than the AS Levels so I would really suggest for you to focus on one at a time since they're both massive amounts of content to review for. I actually don't take Chemistry but do take Biology and Psychology (not that it helps). However, I do get lots of input from my best friend who is taking Chemistry as well and she struggled a lot at first. It takes a lot of work and don't beat yourself up for any score you get! I'm sure you've been doing great already.

Thanks. It does help. I do Biology as well. Also, Mathematics.
Reply 5
Thanks. It does help. I do Biology as well. Also, Mathematics.

That's the A-Levels my friend's taking as well! We're both having a really hard time but hopefully we can get the scores we want hahaha. Good luck! Are you planning to study anywhere abroad?
Original post by lmaodan
That's the A-Levels my friend's taking as well! We're both having a really hard time but hopefully we can get the scores we want hahaha. Good luck! Are you planning to study anywhere abroad?

We all are having a hard time. 😭😭😭
Yeah I plan to study either in the UK or Canada. But I'm taking a gap year and will apply then. Wbu?
Reply 7
We all are having a hard time. 😭😭😭
Yeah I plan to study either in the UK or Canada. But I'm taking a gap year and will apply then. Wbu?

Planning to study in England as well. I think if you're taking a gap year, it'd be great for you to focus on your AS levels now and do A2 Levels later this year. :>

Quick Reply