The Student Room Group

Medical School at 17.

Hi, I’m born in 2003, and I applied to Medical schools around the UK. I would like to know if anyone applied to Medicine at 17, or know anyone who did. I got rejected by a majority of the schools I applied to, so i would like to know if anyone managed to get it as there is a small limit of schools that accept under 18’s in the medicine programme.
I’m thinking of going through St. George Clearing for Medicine- I know they had one at 2019. I’m thinking if I should if they would have one in 2020, or if anyone had further information.
Besides taking a gap year, do i have another option?
My predicted A levels: A*AA
UCAT: 2630 Band 2
Gsces: A*AABB (i took one year gsces)
All Scottish students applying to medicine are 17, some are still 16 when applying
Reply 2
Original post by prolificsadness
Hi, I’m born in 2003, and I applied to Medical schools around the UK. I would like to know if anyone applied to Medicine at 17, or know anyone who did. I got rejected by a majority of the schools I applied to, so i would like to know if anyone managed to get it as there is a small limit of schools that accept under 18’s in the medicine programme.
I’m thinking of going through St. George Clearing for Medicine- I know they had one at 2019. I’m thinking if I should if they would have one in 2020, or if anyone had further information.

I started Medicine at Aberdeen at 17! Most Scottish students start university at 17, although I know some people that did an extra year of school to do Advanced Highers and were therefore 18. Interestingly Aberdeen was the only Scottish university I applied to, and also the only offer I received - no idea if these things are related or not. The only disadvantage that I experienced due to being 17 was at Freshers Fair - there were many events I could not get tickets for because you had to show ID, but obviously this isn't a big deal in the long run! I did an intercalated BSc so was at uni for an extra year, I quite liked being able to do that without being a year older than everyone else when I finally graduated. Good luck whatever route you end up going down :smile:
Reply 3

My son applied for medicine to start when aged 17. He got 4 interviews and 3 offers (this was 5 years ago now)
Original post by eisb
I started Medicine at Aberdeen at 17! Most Scottish students start university at 17, although I know some people that did an extra year of school to do Advanced Highers and were therefore 18. Interestingly Aberdeen was the only Scottish university I applied to, and also the only offer I received - no idea if these things are related or not. The only disadvantage that I experienced due to being 17 was at Freshers Fair - there were many events I could not get tickets for because you had to show ID, but obviously this isn't a big deal in the long run! I did an intercalated BSc so was at uni for an extra year, I quite liked being able to do that without being a year older than everyone else when I finally graduated. Good luck whatever route you end up going down :smile:

Could I know which universities did you apply to? And what were your qualifications? Thanks for your answer by the way.
Original post by GANFYD
My son applied for medicine to start when aged 17. He got 4 interviews and 3 offers (this was 5 years ago now

That sounds great! Can I know if any of you guys are local (UK residents) or international? I’m international.
Original post by eisb

That sounds great :biggrin: But the reason why I didn’t apply to Aberdeen was because for the 2019/2020 requirements required 18+! Was it like this when you applied, or were you a special circumstance? Also, was there any other 17year olds in your class?
Reply 7
That sounds great! Can I know if any of you guys are local (UK residents) or international? I’m international.

He is a UK resident and citizen (so Home or RUL, depending on whether an English/Welsh/N Ireland or Scottish uni).
There is info about age requirements here
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/minimum-age-requirements-for-medicine/

That sounds great :biggrin: But the reason why I didn’t apply to Aberdeen was because for the 2019/2020 requirements required 18+! Was it like this when you applied, or were you a special circumstance? Also, was there any other 17year olds in your class?

Being a Scottish med school, Aberdeen do not have a requirement for the applicant to be 18
https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergraduate/medicine/admissions-policy.php#panel159

(my son had an offer from here)
Original post by GANFYD
He is a UK resident and citizen (so Home or RUL, depending on whether an English/Welsh/N Ireland or Scottish uni).
There is info about age requirements here
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/minimum-age-requirements-for-medicine/

Being a Scottish med school, Aberdeen do not have a requirement for the applicant to be 18
https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergraduate/medicine/admissions-policy.php#panel159

(my son had an offer from here)

I vividly remembered when I called them, the responder said 17 and a half at least, and my IGSCES did not meet it :frown:
Reply 9
I vividly remembered when I called them, the responder said 17 and a half at least, and my IGSCES did not meet it :frown:

Definitely only need to be 17.
And Aberdeen have pretty low GCSE requirements (do not know where you are from for iGCSE):
Grade 5 passes in English and Maths are required.
A combination of Grade 6-9 passes at GCSE is expected, especially in science subjects.

There are very few med schools with lower requirements than this!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Could I know which universities did you apply to? And what were your qualifications? Thanks for your answer by the way.

Applied to Aberdeen, Newcastle, Birmingham, and Nottingham. Interviews at Aberdeen and Newcastle, offer from Aberdeen. I had As in Maths, Biology and Chemistry A Levels (this was before A*s were a thing) plus another couple As at AS levels (Geography and German). Before doing A Levels in England I was at an international school using the IB system, I ended up with a bit of a random assortment of IGCSEs and MYP certificates since IGCSEs were only available on a handful of courses in the school (I think I ended up with about 5 or 6 in total? can't quite remember). I was very concerned about this when I was applying and emailed all the medical schools, and basically applied to those from which I received the most positive sounding response.

This was 12 years ago (it really doesn't seem like it was that long ago, I feel old now!) There were quite a few 17 year olds in my class at the time. At the time of applying I never actually realised that my age might have been an issue, so I didn't check this with any of the universities first - I was so fixated on meeting the GCSE requirements!

Latest

Trending

Trending