The Student Room Group

The Social Classes of Britain Today (opinion)

I have found the labels working class, middle class and upper class to be too simplistic and are no longer relevant in Britain today, so I've done my best to try to think of the new classes and subclasses that exist.

There are perhaps three types of working class today: Traditional Working Class: blue collar, manual jobs that still actually exist. Upper Working class, those like myself who have origins in the old working class but are closer to the middle class than the traditional working class. Then there is the "Chav" working class; working class people who are in a mixture of occupations, unofficial and ofifical, or just live off the state. Examples of such may be the traditional "chav" epithet popularised in British culture.

There are also several types of middle class; again, traditional middle class - those who have been to university, attended higher education, in professional job roles like banking or the legal system. Neo-middle class; those who have unconventional jobs, eg, "vlogging", "influencing", which earn them a significant amount of money which ensures they fit into the middle class bracket. Then the Quasi-Middle class which is basically somewhere between upper working class and traditional middle class; those who have some level of social mobility and take part in middle class culture and aspire to better themselves.

Then, the Upper class. Traditional Upper Class - aristocracy, royalty, gentry. Industrial Upper class - those who own large businesses and corporations. Ascribed Upper Class - those who do not have a profession, but have inherited wealth and estate to allow them to fit in this bracket.

Does an underclass exist, you ask? The cloest thing to it is the "Chav" Working Class.

So , there you have it. This is based on my observations, findings and taking the old class structure and adding to it. I hope it is of use and interesting.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is very interesting. Just makes it seem like Marxist need to update. Btw, where will you put those termed as «*New Money*»?
My class system:

Rich
Very comfortable
Getting by
Broke as ****

👍
Original post by biisii
This is very interesting. Just makes it seem like Marxist need to update. Btw, where will you put those termed as «*New Money*»?

Probably qasi-middle class.

I'm very much sympathetic to Marxism but it's just too limited in 21st century Europe.
Reply 4
Well, I guess change is truly inevitable and I think it’s limited everyone it’s practiced in the world.
I think this is more of a comprehensive definition; I would personally put myself as upper working class
I think a fair few won't take kindly to being labelled as a "chav" considering it's negative connotations
Original post by bones-mccoy
I think a fair few won't take kindly to being labelled as a "chav" considering it's negative connotations

I know, it's just something memorable and I think its still better than "underclass".

It's basically working class people who are materialistic and resort to crime rather than say poltics to change things.
To sum it up; working class people have gone from being the "salt of the earth" to the "scum of the earth" in the eyes of the media and many other social circles. The "chav" working class is actually semi-middle class in that it is obsessed with the self rather than the good of others; it is obsessed with materialism too. We need to re-define the working class; there is hardly any traditional "manual" jobs left. The coal mines have shut, as have most of the factories.
Reply 9
Personally I see four classes..

Underclass - Long term unemployed

Lower working class - Part time workers, renters

Upper working class - Full time employed, sub 20k, renters

Lower middle class - Full time employed, sub 30k, home owner

Upper middle class - Self or full time employed, 30k+, home owner

Upper class - Privately educated, home owner, net worth exceeding 1m
Original post by Rakas21

I prefer your way, but I think the salaries should be changed a bit, imo.

Upper working class - Sub 30k
Lower Middle Class - Sub 50k
Upper middle class - 50k+
Upper class - 150k+

I don't really think that being a homeowner is an upper-class thing, nor having a net worth exceeding 1m.
Why are the English obsessed with class? Genuine question. Irish descent and just do not understand need for it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21

Those salaries are way too low IMO, there's no context either. Is this a single earner or a family?

Like upper middle class 30k+, that's way too low.

Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
I prefer your way, but I think the salaries should be changed a bit, imo.

Upper working class - Sub 30k
Lower Middle Class - Sub 50k
Upper middle class - 50k+
Upper class - 150k+

I don't really think that being a homeowner is an upper-class thing, nor having a net worth exceeding 1m.

By that standard, my family is upper middle class, which definitely is not the case. Dad's salary has fluctuated over time, but its certainly high. project manager self employed, so a middle class job, albeit he didn't actually initally get a degree, only getting one at open uni. Mum is a teaching assitant so on something like less than 10k.

It's not just about salary, its about culture and it really is subjective. i'd consider myself upper working class or lower middle class. At least compared to people where I live....
Original post by Scotney
Why are the English obsessed with class? Genuine question. Irish descent and jusy do not understand need for it.

Most actually aren't, and neither am I, its just supposed to evaluate the traditional 3 class view that many have.
Original post by Ferrograd
Those salaries are way too low IMO, there's no context either. Is this a single earner or a family?

Like upper middle class 30k+, that's way too low.

By that standard, my family is upper middle class, which definitely is not the case. Dad's salary has fluctuated over time, but its certainly high. project manager self employed, so a middle class job, albeit he didn't actually initally get a degree, only getting one at open uni. Mum is a teaching assitant so on something like less than 10k.

It's not just about salary, its about culture and it really is subjective. i'd consider myself upper working class or lower middle class. At least compared to people where I live....

This is the only use for a class system so you can judge others as I see it.
Original post by Scotney
This is the only use for a class system so you can judge others as I see it.

Fair enough, although as said...I mean police officers in london start off on £30k. police officers are a lot of things, but "middle class" isn't the first thing that comes to mind. neither is working class tbf...
Son is at Cambridge and a french fellow student asked him to explain what class she should say she is in. Son told her not to bother trying to label herself and answering the question just reinforces the stereotypes.
Original post by Scotney
Why are the English obsessed with class? Genuine question. Irish descent and just do not understand need for it.

Probably because we’ve not been conquered since the country formed so our old culture and institutions has diluted over time rather than been broken.

(Original post by Ferrograd)Fair enough, although as said...I mean police officers in london start off on £30k. police officers are a lot of things, but "middle class" isn't the first thing that comes to mind. neither is working class tbf...

Most police officers (a friends mother is one) own their home and get paid an above average salary. By definition that’s pretty middle class.

On the single vs household I’d say lifestyle is more dictated by having one earner above each mark rather than two combined. The family with one guy on 40k and a mother working part time probably feel more comfortable than two people earning 20k each because the employment is likely more precarious and they will be less confident in their earnings power.
Original post by Rakas21
Probably because we’ve not been conquered since the country formed so our old culture and institutions has diluted over time rather than been broken.

(Original post by Ferrograd)Fair enough, although as said...I mean police officers in london start off on £30k. police officers are a lot of things, but "middle class" isn't the first thing that comes to mind. neither is working class tbf...

Most police officers (a friends mother is one) own their home and get paid an above average salary. By definition that’s pretty middle class.

On the single vs household I’d say lifestyle is more dictated by having one earner above each mark rather than two combined. The family with one guy on 40k and a mother working part time probably feel more comfortable than two people earning 20k each because the employment is likely more precarious and they will be less confident in their earnings power.

In terms of education though,most don't have degrees, albeit that is changing as a degree is now required
I don’t agree with class labels. Everyone should have a chance to make something of their lives and not be associated with what their fathers did before they were born

Latest

Trending

Trending