The Student Room Group

What do you think of this SUV as first car?

A friend is getting their first car and it’s a crossover SUV, it’s pretty chunky and nearly new (16 plate) low miles. It’s a nice colour but I kinda think it’s silly having a Car which looks like a family car as your first car and I feel like I should tell them.

What’s your opinions on crossover SUVs as first cars?

I tried finding a picture of what it looks like on google, I think this is what it looks like. What do you think of how it looks?

A870A1E4-800C-4B74-BE22-77FC286A4BD6.jpeg
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FionaFiat
A friend is getting their first car and it’s a crossover SUV, it’s pretty chunky and nearly new (16 plate) low miles. It’s a nice colour but I kinda think it’s embarrassing having a Car which looks like a family car as your first car and I feel like I should tell them.

What’s your opinions on crossover SUVs as first cars? Do you think they’re embarrassing?

No, why? As long as they can park it properly without looking like a tit, then it's fine.

Do you have a car?
Be grateful she’s getting a car 😂 If it’s her car why are you arsed about it
Reply 3
Original post by Ch4rlie17
Be grateful she’s getting a car 😂 If it’s her car why are you arsed about it

They’re paying £12k for it so kinda don’t want them to waist money.
They’re paying £12k for it so kinda don’t want them to waist money.

It's not up to you to advise them how to spend their money though... I'm not sure they will appreciate this justification.
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
It's not up to you to advise them how to spend their money though... I'm not sure they will appreciate this justification.

I just think it’s silly having a family car as first car, do you think SUVs are embarrassing for your people to drive?
I just think it’s silly having a family car as first car, do you think SUVs are embarrassing for your people to drive?

No. Like I said, if they can park it without looking like a tit, it's fine.

I would happily drive an SUV and I have done so on multiple occasions. It is not embarassing in anyway.
Reply 7

I don't see why it would be embarrassing. Some of them are good cars, so long as your friend can properly park it and has decent enough driving ability. Personally I wouldn't get one as a first car as its too big and very expensive to run and maintain.
Aren't the vast majority of cars family cars? :confused:
Reply 9
Original post by kkboyk
I don't see why it would be embarrassing. Some of them are good cars, so long as your friend can properly park it and has decent enough driving ability. Personally I wouldn't get one as a first car as its too big and very expensive to run and maintain.

I guess, I much rather a sporty small car but I guess everyone has their own taste.
Reply 10
Original post by StriderHort
Aren't the vast majority of cars family cars? :confused:

I just don’t know why anyone would want a big bulky car as their first car
Okay, who the f*ck gets an SUV for their first car?

Are you loaded or something? Can you even get insuracnce
What about the environment though. Your friend is killing baby penguins. LIKE LITERALLY HER HANDS ARE AROUND BABY PENGUIN NECKS AND SHE IS SUFFICATING THEM. BRUH. BRUH!!!
baby-emperor-penguins.jpg
My first car was an ancient Land Rover.
I'm still driving him.
I just don’t know why anyone would want a big bulky car as their first car

*shrug* "Bigger is Better" is the heart of an awful lot of designs and it's probably quite reassuring driving a roadtank, low slung & sporty can be intimidating in traffic and I say that driving one.
Original post by adam271

baby-emperor-penguins.jpg

That's a fking nice seat cover set right there, headrests and all.
Reply 16
Original post by Ferrograd
Okay, who the f*ck gets an SUV for their first car?

Are you loaded or something? Can you even get insuracnce

IKR, It’s a crossover SUV, it’s a 16 plate... not even sure if they make them anymore it’s really big and bulky, I think it’s got a smaller engine as it’s a crossover suv not sure though.
IKR, It’s a crossover SUV, it’s a 16 plate... not even sure if they make them anymore it’s really big and bulky, I think it’s got a smaller engine as it’s a crossover suv not sure though.

Never see anyone at my sixth form with an SUV crossover or anything. i mean sure some people have some expensive cars, but even then they're small, not big bulky cars.
A friend is getting their first car and it’s a crossover SUV, it’s pretty chunky and nearly new (16 plate) low miles. It’s a nice colour but I kinda think it’s embarrassing having a Car which looks like a family car as your first car and I feel like I should tell them.

What’s your opinions on crossover SUVs as first cars? Do you think they’re embarrassing?

I don't know if they're embarrasing among the youth culture (I'm too old to know).
All I can tell you they're idiotic by design.
They can't go anywhere off-road actually, they have bigger air drag and rolling resistance than normal passenger cars, so they're slower than normal models with the same engines, and they consume more fuel.
They also handle worse, because of the center of gravity being much higher.

Imho, using SUVs is a sign of mental retardness.
Reply 19
Original post by Ferrograd
Never see anyone at my sixth form with an SUV crossover or anything. i mean sure some people have some expensive cars, but even then they're small, not big bulky cars.

I tried to find a picture of it on google, this is what it looks like I think, I just think it’s ugly.

F16710C8-EB0F-4072-BD92-3A41D477B5AE.jpeg

Quick Reply

Latest