The Student Room Group

Confusion with btec grades

Guys im so confused as to what grade i need to get in order to get into uni, currently on 1st year of level 3 diploma help :/
Well some Btecs are equivalent to 3 A levels and some are equivalent to only 2. Then it depends what course you applyfor. Some Uni's ask for grade and others state the Ucas points. I think most courses are around 96 UCAS points which is a CCC at A level I believe.
For level 3 Btecs the common ones are, the national diploma worth 2 A levels (the max Ucas points is 112, the grade woud be D*D*) and the national extended diploma worth 3 A Levels in which case the maxium UCAS points are 168 (i think).

Completing a BTEC level 3 course will still allow you to get into Uni as there are only a handful that dont accept Btecs and you get the grades required of course.

Ucas has a tariff calculater https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by joelyyy
Guys im so confused as to what grade i need to get in order to get into uni, currently on 1st year of level 3 diploma help :/

What grade you need depends on the entrance qualifications required by the uni.
It will state what btec grade is requested.

Once you know that then you can see how you might achieve that in your BTEC in terms of how many of the 18 units (assuming extended diploma) you need Pass, merit or distinction.

I cant help you more than that because theres not much information to go on.
Reply 3
Well I’m doing IT technician level 3 and just wanted to know like the minimum requirements, not the most academic so not aiming for a top uni just like what grades would I need on exams, assignments to get into uni
Original post by joelyyy
Well I’m doing IT technician level 3 and just wanted to know like the minimum requirements, not the most academic so not aiming for a top uni just like what grades would I need on exams, assignments to get into uni

Again it depends on the uni course and it's requirements. You should maybe look at a uni course you'd like to do and go from there, like computer science for example.

I mean, it could be DMM for minimum requirements, but you won't be able to tell without comparing a uni course requirements :smile:.
Try get distinctions mate. DMM wouldnt be the worst thing in the world though.
Original post by Paddylonglegs10
Again it depends on the uni course and it's requirements. You should maybe look at a uni course you'd like to do and go from there, like computer science for example.

I mean, it could be DMM for minimum requirements, but you won't be able to tell without comparing a uni course requirements :smile:.

Original post by joelyyy

If you go for passes on everything, you most likely can't achieve a DMM overall if ya get me. Maybe with all passes could get MPP? I can't remember how well the grades came out overall.
Reply 7
A low end uni will require MMM to get in but higher ones such as Sheffield will need at least DDM
Reply 8
Original post by Paddylonglegs10
If you go for passes on everything, you most likely can't achieve a DMM overall if ya get me. Maybe with all passes could get MPP? I can't remember how well the grades came out overall.

Well I get decent grades on assignments it’s just I always get passes on tests (assignments I get either merit or distinction) based on that do you think I will achieve DMM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending