The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pbgstl
I don't know why people seem to have so many doubts. The diploma you get when you graduate is the same as the one in London and you can choose to do FY 1 and 2 as well as the specialty in the UK.
I also think that there might be advantages with going to a smaller and less competitive school (more likely to be top of the class, smaller hospitals give students more chance to do stuff).
I know people might disagree with these ideas but from my experience I think QMUL might not be a bad idea.
Personally the idea that it's in Malta is also very apealing because the Mediterranean lifestyle and weather is what I'm used to and I have family there so I wouldnt mind staying to live there long term.
Of course many of these points are based on my personal preferences but overall I would suggest at least applying.

I agree as QMUL says that it is in the same position as London degree and will most likely be approved by GMC. Most UK applicant will not apply as the fees are more expensive but more overseas students should apply as the fees for them is cheaper than any in any UK based medical school
Got a rejection because I don't meet their age requirements.... I turn 18 two weeks after the beginning of the semester. I hate the age requirements. :mad:
Original post by yadig?
Got a rejection because I don't meet their age requirements.... I turn 18 two weeks after the beginning of the semester. I hate the age requirements. :mad:

Seems unfair
Reply 63
Who is thinking of accepting their offer (if u get one)?
Reply 64
Original post by pbgstl
Who is thinking of accepting their offer (if u get one)?

Do you have any idea how long they give you to confirm if you do get the offer? I gave my interview on the 22nd, but since then I've gotten a UCLAN offer and a Queens Belfast interview and I don't really want to make a decision before I get to kkow my Belfast outcome.
Reply 65
Original post by RaabM
Do you have any idea how long they give you to confirm if you do get the offer? I gave my interview on the 22nd, but since then I've gotten a UCLAN offer and a Queens Belfast interview and I don't really want to make a decision before I get to kkow my Belfast outcome.

I also had my interview on the 22nd and havent heard back yet. Idk about what u asked but most univiersities want an answer but may
Reply 66
Original post by pbgstl
I also had my interview on the 22nd and havent heard back yet. Idk about what u asked but most univiersities want an answer but may

UCLAN gave me an offer on the 16th of Jan and they gave me 4 weeks to decide. Not too sure if I can ask them to extend the time for that.
Reply 67
Original post by RaabM
UCLAN gave me an offer on the 16th of Jan and they gave me 4 weeks to decide. Not too sure if I can ask them to extend the time for that.

Oh well idk about that, but I think qmul will give us more time. I also want to know about my other offers before making a decision
Reply 68
Original post by pbgstl
Oh well idk about that, but I think qmul will give us more time. I also want to know about my other offers before making a decision

Where else have you gotten interviews from? And are you international?
Original post by pbgstl

I got an offer from QMUL (Malta) today and they gave me until the 31st March to decide (this is undergrad, btw). I'm probably going to ask if they could extend this to a later date, as I have 3 other interviews (QUB, Lancaster and Imperial), and I obviously want to hear from them to see where to go from there.
Original post by theuglypanda
I got an offer from QMUL (Malta) today and they gave me until the 31st March to decide (this is undergrad, btw). I'm probably going to ask if they could extend this to a later date, as I have 3 other interviews (QUB, Lancaster and Imperial), and I obviously want to hear from them to see where to go from there.

Was the Queen Mary Malta interview tough? How did you prepare for it?
Reply 71

When was your interview?
No, it was pretty straight forward. They send you an article beforehand via email, be sure to read through it and understand the ethical issues behind it. Also, re-read your personal statement and make sure you know it inside out and prepare to answer any questions. Obviously prepare for the classic ones (why do you want to be a doctor, etc). I prepared by just practicing.
Original post by RaabM
When was your interview?

2 weeks ago.
No, it was pretty straight forward. They send you an article beforehand via email, be sure to read through it and understand the ethical issues behind it. Also, re-read your personal statement and make sure you know it inside out and prepare to answer any questions. Obviously prepare for the classic ones (why do you want to be a doctor, etc). I prepared by just practicing.

Thanks! For someone who doesn't have other offers, would you say QMUL Malta is a worthwhile option?
Original post by Maltese Falcon
Thanks! For someone who doesn't have other offers, would you say QMUL Malta is a worthwhile option?

If you have definitely been rejected from all your ucas choices (I assume you applied to the UK?), if you have the means to pay the fees, of course it is.

If you don’t have any offers, and still want to study in the UK, some universities go to clearing for medicine. Some even let you re-sit your UCAT before re-applying! You’d need to do some research on this, though, since I’m not an expert in the whole clearing thing!
If you have definitely been rejected from all your ucas choices (I assume you applied to the UK?), if you have the means to pay the fees, of course it is.

If you don’t have any offers, and still want to study in the UK, some universities go to clearing for medicine. Some even let you re-sit your UCAT before re-applying! You’d need to do some research on this, though, since I’m not an expert in the whole clearing thing!

That's comforting to know, thanks.
Reply 77
Original post by RaabM
Where else have you gotten interviews from? And are you international?

Imperial, Edinburgh, KCL. I'm EU but live overseas (edinburgh and imperial have considered me EU but KCL has considered me overseas
Reply 78
Just got an offer!
Original post by RaabM
Just got an offer!

Comgrats!!! AAB? Do you think they are flexible enough to let an applicant drop one grade?

Latest

Trending

Trending