The Student Room Group

Coronavirus. I’m too scared to go outside

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Em.-.
Yep. Even after the outbreak the real numbers won’t likely be known, however until then there won’t be an official mortality rate. It’s better at the moment to compare both critical conditions and deaths with the total number of infections to determine severity, though again the real numbers for these can’t really be known.

2.5% mortality rate currently
I’m a medical doctor in my foundation years and I can say that unless your immune system is compromised/you are elderly, your risk of having long term consequences of coronavirus is literally very low. The coronavirus is also responsible for the common cold. In addition, there have been no reports of coronavirus in the UK. Keep washing your hands and maintaining proper hygiene and you are minimizing your risk.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a medical doctor in my foundation years and I can say that unless your immune system is compromised/you are elderly, your risk of having long term consequences of coronavirus is literally very low. The coronavirus is also responsible for the common cold. In addition, there have been no reports of coronavirus in the UK. Keep washing your hands and maintaining proper hygiene and you are minimizing your risk.

Although I’m scuppered if it does reach the U.K. I have a very weak immune system after getting measles, even after recovery if I got ill with a virus I still had to go to the gp because it was so severe. I had it 5 months ago now
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Greywolftwo
2.5% mortality rate currently

Yeah I hope it remains that way, but I remember when the cases were at around 3000, there were about 500 in critical condition (and more dead) so between 17-20% seem to be seriously life threatening or fatal. Hopefully these numbers didn’t account for those with milder symptoms who didn’t seek medical attention, but due to the fear level I expect most would.
Original post by ساره
Really? The mask with also eye wear protection would protect someone ?

The mask will full face coverage and eyes will do much better
Reply 45
look if your young fit and healthy the odds even if you catch it are excellent you will just have a bad cold like infection. if your old ill or immune compromised and catch it then that will be a different story. if you feel better wearing a mask do so. but also wash your hands like the good old common cold its spread by coughs and sneezes. it contaminates surfaces and you touch them. if you really are nervous see your gp. now to protect yourself well stay away from crowds wear a mask goggles and gloves and a disposable body suit like you see the chinese nurses wearing. but thats over kill for day today use.
The risk of coronavirus spreading to the U.K. is not that low and will become more likely as time goes on

How the flip did this virus even come about?
Reply 47
Although I’m scuppered if it does reach the U.K. I have a very weak immune system after getting measles, even after recovery if I got ill with a virus I still had to go to the gp because it was so severe. I had it 5 months ago now

then when it arrives as it has done.isolate yourself have healthy folks do your shopping. mask goggles and gloves if you do need to go out when it becomes widespread.

It has reached the UK now 😶
I saw somewhere that 2000 people from wuhan have arrived in the U.K. in the past week or 2 weeks.

And only around 100 of those people have been tested for the virus. And thankfully it was -ve.

I feel like the only thing I can do at the moment is buy a face mask, stay away from humans and strengthen my immune system by drinking my vitamins.

But the thing is I have so much anxiety that im too scared to wear a face mask outside because ppl will think I’m weird. But I’ve got to suck it up and just wear it for protection.

I’m fracking scared

Firstly, I'm sure those thousands of people are either fine, have been checked by a doctor already or aren't showing any signs of illness so have nothing to worry about. If anything, they have more to worry about tbh.
Even if you magically got the corona-virus, 98% of people will survive it. Those who have died from it have been stated to have had underlying health problems that made them more vulnerable. The normal flu kills approximately 56,000 people every year, whilst CV has killed 250. It's just because it's an unusual virus that it's in the news everywhere.
Face masks have been found to be useless for protecting you, but is good for those who are already sick. Just wash your hands and stay away from people with flu-like symptoms. We're at a much lower risk here in the UK.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 50
Corona.jpg
Reply 51
I saw somewheI donre that 2000 people from wuhan have arrived in the U.K. in the past week or 2 weeks.

And only around 100 of those people have been tested for the virus. And thankfully it was -ve.

I feel like the only thing I can do at the moment is buy a face mask, stay away from humans and strengthen my immune system by drinking my vitamins.

But the thing is I have so much anxiety that im too scared to wear a face mask outside because ppl will think I’m weird. But I’ve got to suck it up and just wear it for protection.

I’m fracking scared

I don't mean to burst a bubble, but wearing a regular face mask doesn't really do much for the wearer. Its purpose is to stop you from spreading your own body-liquids onto other people.

Now that that's out of the way, here's the thing about the virus, and about any other worry you may have. There is one thing to consider: is it something that you can influence?

The good news is, you can! You can wash your hands regularly, use hand sanitizer, take your usual vitamins. Once you start (or resume) doing that, that's about it. That's all you can do without usurping your everyday life. So go on, do whatever you'd normally do, because there's no proven reason to worry about it at this moment.

A thing about coronavirus, in particular, is that it's only causing more traction than the common flu because it spreads a lot faster. It's not particularly lethal, and (assuming you're about my age) you don't really have the predispositions to be super exposed to the virus.
Does the coronavirus kill you straight away of something? Is there no cure?

in China they probably make you eat a tiger willy or something.
I saw somewhere that 2000 people from wuhan have arrived in the U.K. in the past week or 2 weeks.

I’m fracking scared

I've been in the situation before, terrified about bird flu, religious concepts of hell,the world ending in 2012, climate change and global warming. I read news articles constantly and obsessed with all the panic and scaremongering associated with each of these things. You know what it does to you? Makes you paranoid, turns your life into a depressing and sorry trap that you're mentally setting yourself in for. The coronavirus much like cancer-is something you might get and it might kill you, but the odds that the Coronavirus will kill you is extremely slim. Last I checked something like 5% of those affected die from the virus, and think about it-there are roughly 64 million people who live in the UK- an unfathomable number, and you are one, just one little speckle, a little microbe amongst the millions and millions. By all means read about it because you'll gain knowledge, but don't let it consume you, it's pointless-life is worth living not worrying about.
Reply 54
84731668_2750461285031647_9032963307555782656_n.jpg
Not to scare anyone but I heard 2 students in Bethnal Green school got it, and it’s in London now too. They tend to put people that come from wuhan in isolation and check if they have it.

I don’t understand why they just don’t ban them from getting out of wuhan? They are travelling around the world and spreading it everywhere.
Newspapers and shows make money off throwing around claims that are probably false or incorrect. watching shows or reading papers about stuff like this only fuels their purpose to publish more fake info that they can use to scare people. These scared people then buy more papers or watch their show more to find out what happens next and then they gain more money. Please don't believe it all, yes some people may have come over but the statisics aren't always correct and the only ones worrying should be the health officials and the prime minister.

More outbreaks happen then we realise just our immune systems are designed to overcome such illnesses. Hope this helps in anyway x

I’m fracking scared

You cannot be serious right now, we have something called the NHS which China doesn't have. The reason the infection became a pandemic crisis was that China's healthcare system diagnosis and treatment is not free, unlike the UK. I am sure if someone was sick with a virus in the UK they would get immediate and rapid treatment as well as being isolated. Consuming vitamins DOES NOT defend you from a virus, only bacterium. PS yes wearing a face mask is weird.
The corona virus is what will end humanity.

Quick Reply

Latest