The Student Room Group

first car £20,000 budget

Hi guys
I just turned 17 and am looking into getting my car!
My budget is as stated but I can go a little over.
I have been looking at minis but have heard from people that they are bad cars?
Really I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of a good car that has a nice feel to it and doesn't have a crazy insurance.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shi0l
Hi guys
Really I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of a good car that has a nice feel to it and doesn't have a crazy insurance.
Thanks

Your budget for your first car is £20,000 :headfire:

What happened to your first car being some old B reg jalopy with the mirrors being held on with cable ties and a daily requirement of a pint of oil?

@Doonesbury@Good bloke
Original post by shi0l

Do not spend that much. Buy something cheap, reliable and safe for a few years. Once you have enough experience, you can start to drive more powerful cars, if you want to.

If you don't need a car, I wouldn't get one yet. I am a bit of a petrol head though, so I understand the urge.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Your budget for your first car is £20,000 :headfire:

What happened to your first car being some old B reg jalopy with the mirrors being held on with cable ties and a daily requirement of a pint of oil?

@Doonesbury@Good bloke

I was a very spoilt youngest child and, much to my siblings annoyance, had a new first car. I bashed the drivers door within a week, and was lucky not to do worse...

OP, save your (or your parents) money and get a more typical first runner. Even £4 or £5k will get you something good, fun and reliable.
Who’s financing this? You or your parents?? And if your parents, why are they letting you spend £20k on your first car lmao. I don’t know whether to be jealous or laugh at the stupidity of letting a 17 year old have a £20k car
I agree with everyone else. Spending that much amount of money on a car makes absolutely no financial sense unless you are already like a millionaire, in which case, it doesn't really matter what we say.

If I had the money/the will to spend that much money on a first car, I would go with either a z4 or a ford Mustang. Used ones of course. Buying new cars is not very smart
I am 21 and I had to pay like £2000 in insurance for a 2008 vauxhall Corsa worth £3500 (for Arnold Clark, they are known to overprice).

So buying a 20k car at 17, will drive your insurance through the roof
Reply 7
Lol save that and get your second car for that much. 90% of people bump and scratch their first car. I’d recommend gettin a fiesta or corsa for 1-2k and having that for a year or so, also build up your NCB as your insurance will be sky high year 1.

In terms of what cars to get if you’re going to ignore this, anything VAG will usually have a lot of features and be good value for money. VAG being VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda but I might be a bit biased haha
Reply 8
Original post by username4167714
...and doesn't have a crazy insurance...

While obviously some cars cost more to insure than others, you're the liability here, not the cars.

Don't be numpty. Don't waste your money. Get a bang average car, get your no claims bonus (and experience) built up, then buy a decent car.
Original post by Doonesbury
I was a very spoilt youngest child and, much to my siblings annoyance, had a new first car. I bashed the drivers door within a week, and was lucky not to do worse...

Oh, I bet your siblings hated you for that. I wasn't so lucky - an 'old' (suffix) N reg mini which was held together with tape.

I loved it, looking back :moon:
Reply 10
Oh, I bet your siblings hated you for that. I wasn't so lucky - an 'old' (suffix) N reg mini which was held together with tape.

Yep it still rankles :biggrin:
It was just the cheapest Ford Fiesta, although I did keep it for 5 years
Reply 11
Oh, OP has deleted their account. :toofunny:

Posted from TSR Mobile
20k???? WTF

Get a car no higher than 3k so when you buy an expensive car the insurance isn’t crazy
Reply 13
:biggrin: he'd need more than £20k for a brand new Beemer (nevermind a 300hp model). And another £5k+ for the insurance if he can even get some.
Where on earth is this £20k coming from??? There is no way you should be spending that much money on a first car that you’ll likely damage within a year and unless you’re parents are rich and buying it for you I honestly cant imagine where you’ve even got that amount of cash.
Original post by RogerOxon
Do not spend that much. Buy something cheap, reliable and safe for a few years. Once you have enough experience, you can start to drive more powerful cars, if you want to.

If you don't need a car, I wouldn't get one yet. I am a bit of a petrol head though, so I understand the urge.

I totally agree.
Who in their right mind would spend £20,000 on a first car.

D reg Austin 1100, held together by rust.
I myself would get a cheaper car so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I damaged it. I would recommend getting a nicer car after being on the road for a while.
Original post by username4167714
Hi guys
Thanks

I think that you should buy a mini, are good cars don't listen to people. My friend has one.
Reply 19
Original post by emily_000
I think that you should buy a mini, are good cars don't listen to people. My friend has one.

And my friend also works for Mini. There's also a lot of planned obsolescence. Some good, some bad. Can you explain why they might be 'good'? Having a friend with a Mini doesn't automatically make it good!

Edit: just realised you necro'd this thread :<

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending