The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

May I ask you what are your predict grades?
Original post by Anonymous
May i know where r u from? And what did u apply for?

germany social sciences
Reply 62
Anyone applied to HKUST undergrad with other countries 4U,M marks?
Reply 63
Hi, I’ve applied to HKUST business program with my high school marks (4U, M), anyone got an offer?
Hello! Is there anyone(international students) who is confirmed going to hkust/hku?
Original post by Yuhhj
Hi, I’ve applied to HKUST business program with my high school marks (4U, M), anyone got an offer?

Got an offer in december
Applied to CUHK during the early round, got in two weeks back for BSSc Economics.
Just got an offer for PolyU for a BSc in Biotechnology with a full renewable scholarship. Conflicted on whether I should accept it as I'd only get a full one-off at UST but would prefer to major in Biochemistry (which PolyU didn't offer). I'm obviously still very interested in Biotechnology (I wouldn't have applied if I weren't) but it makes me question whether it would make sense to study it if I have the chance to do my first choice of major. Any advice/thoughts?
Original post by somwhaghuman
Just got an offer for PolyU for a BSc in Biotechnology with a full renewable scholarship. Conflicted on whether I should accept it as I'd only get a full one-off at UST but would prefer to major in Biochemistry (which PolyU didn't offer). I'm obviously still very interested in Biotechnology (I wouldn't have applied if I weren't) but it makes me question whether it would make sense to study it if I have the chance to do my first choice of major. Any advice/thoughts?

Is money a problem?
If not, I would recommend UST. Firstly, PolyU in comparison to UST is not that reputable. UST is considered as one of the Top 3 Universities in Hong Kong, although PolyU is decent, the overall reputation of UST is better than PolyU which would be useful in the future.
Also, I'm not a fan of bringing politics in but with the whole situation (I hope you know), PolyU has been one of the main universities involved whereas UST is one of the universities which have not been too heavily impacted. But it also comes down to the location, UST is far from the city (40+ mins by MTR) whereas PolyU isn't too bad in terms of distance.
I would generally recommend UST especially if it was your first choice, you still get a scholarship, reputation, etc...
Hope it helps a little bit, what i've written are only my thoughts, so if anyone else has other opinions, don't flame me
Is money a problem?
If not, I would recommend UST. Firstly, PolyU in comparison to UST is not that reputable. UST is considered as one of the Top 3 Universities in Hong Kong, although PolyU is decent, the overall reputation of UST is better than PolyU which would be useful in the future.
Also, I'm not a fan of bringing politics in but with the whole situation (I hope you know), PolyU has been one of the main universities involved whereas UST is one of the universities which have not been too heavily impacted. But it also comes down to the location, UST is far from the city (40+ mins by MTR) whereas PolyU isn't too bad in terms of distance.
I would generally recommend UST especially if it was your first choice, you still get a scholarship, reputation, etc...
Hope it helps a little bit, what i've written are only my thoughts, so if anyone else has other opinions, don't flame me

Thank you! My parents would pay for my tuition but obviously I'd prefer for them not having to (because who wouldn't).

I think bringing politics into it sadly is necessary. I asked about how PolyU is dealing with the situation during my interview and the interviewers were very open about it which I highly appreciated but it still leaves a somewhat bitter taste.

I thought about my decision last night and I think your comment reinforced it (although I will probably postpone it a few more days). Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts :smile:
Original post by somwhaghuman
Thank you! My parents would pay for my tuition but obviously I'd prefer for them not having to (because who wouldn't).

I think bringing politics into it sadly is necessary. I asked about how PolyU is dealing with the situation during my interview and the interviewers were very open about it which I highly appreciated but it still leaves a somewhat bitter taste.

I thought about my decision last night and I think your comment reinforced it (although I will probably postpone it a few more days). Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts :smile:

No worries
My cousin is currently at PolyU, and she has said that despite the efforts, it would definitely still influence the students a little bit.
Are you set on HKUST?
No worries
My cousin is currently at PolyU, and she has said that despite the efforts, it would definitely still influence the students a little bit.
Are you set on HKUST?

Pretty much. The only thing I'm worried about is that I have to get a specific grade in my Biology exam whereas with PolyU I'd only have an overall grade condition which makes it far more flexible. I have to accept my UST offer by February 14 so I don't want to pass that up, especially since neither HKU nor CUHK have gotten back to me about interviews yet and I doubt they will anytime soon.
did anyone get a mainround offer yet from HKUST or cityU
Original post by eduholic123123

i applied for cityU mainround and no i haven't received any offer. I think they send the offers beginning feb or march for the mainround candidates
Hi there guys, I did my interview for all three Hong Kong Universities. This means, HKU,HKUST,CUHK and received an offer for hkust business prgramm. My question is if you guys think hong kong will be a worth to go still after all it has been through??
Original post by eduholic123123

Yes business programm HKUST
Original post by sheng123
Yes business programm HKUST

Hi there guys, I did my interview for all three Hong Kong Universities. This means, HKU,HKUST,CUHK and received an offer for hkust business prgramm. My question is if you guys think hong kong will be a worth to go still after all it has been through??

It depends. If you are admitted to prestige programme such as Global Business or RMBI of HKUST then it is worthwhile to go. But it also depends on your family opinions and whether you have better options to choose from.
Hi! Did anyone receive any type of offer or reply from hku till now? I am really worried. My application still shows 'Under Consideration' and I am not even sure if it has been reviewed by them even once. P.S.- I applied for Engineering
Original post by CursedOne
Hi! Did anyone receive any type of offer or reply from hku till now? I am really worried. My application still shows 'Under Consideration' and I am not even sure if it has been reviewed by them even once. P.S.- I applied for Engineering

I did my interview yesterday, be patient for a few more weeks and I am sure offers will come out in the next weeks.
I did my interview yesterday, be patient for a few more weeks and I am sure offers will come out in the next week

Congratulations! Hope it went well. Though I am not really sure about my fate

Latest

Trending

Trending