The Student Room Group

Personal Statement and references for specialty training

Hi,
Do you need a personal statement and/or references for applying to medical/surgical specialty training in the UK? I know, you of course need it to enter medical school but not sure about specialty training.
Thanks.
Reply 1
I am currently an intern. Honestly, I have not yet decided which specialty I will apply to. I was just thinking whether I would have to find referees and write a personal statement for training in the UK.
Reply 2
By the way IMT recruitment website states that interviews are sent according to the automated scores that are generated based upon the information candidates provide regarding their achievements etc... This process is objective as far as I know. What difference could personal statement and references make then?

Edit: Oh I see that the original reply I had posted is still under moderation review. This one is actually the second message haha...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
If jobs are given purely on the basis of points awarded at the interview and (to a less extent from the) application score, what use is the personal statement and reference of?
Reply 4
Original post by Montus
@ecolier If jobs are given purely on the basis of points awarded at the interview and (to a less extent from the) application score, what use is the personal statement and reference of?

Don't know about the PS as we didn't have to do them in my specialty (anaesthetics) but the references are basically a backup check, rather than part of the selection process. I think they only contact referees once they've made offers to people, and it's essentially to check that you are who you say you are, have worked in the posts you've said and there aren't any clinical concerns.
Reply 5
Yup, a maximum of 17 points are there for how the application is, but it itself is determined by the "objective" elements of the application on which transparent points are awarded like additional undergraduate degrees, postgraduate degrees if any, number of presentation, number of publications, awards/distinctions etc...If all these things are same, how does a different personal statement and reference affect the score?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Helenia
Don't know about the PS as we didn't have to do them in my specialty (anaesthetics) but the references are basically a backup check, rather than part of the selection process. I think they only contact referees once they've made offers to people, and it's essentially to check that you are who you say you are, have worked in the posts you've said and there aren't any clinical concerns.

@Helenia Thanks for mentioning that. Do you believe this whole process of selection is objective?
Reply 7
Original post by Montus
@Helenia Thanks for mentioning that. Do you believe this whole process of selection is objective?

I think it has become much more objective over the last few years. Don't know the details of IMT recruitment but certainly in anaesthetics the scoring criteria for the portfolio side of things is widely available and clear. There will always be an element of subjectivity but how can that be avoided?
Reply 8
Original post by Helenia
I think it has become much more objective over the last few years. Don't know the details of IMT recruitment but certainly in anaesthetics the scoring criteria for the portfolio side of things is widely available and clear. There will always be an element of subjectivity but how can that be avoided?

Thanks for your valuable response. And ecolier your response was valuable too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending