The Student Room Group

Two coronavirus cases confirmed in UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Em.-.
They weren’t what brought the virus here but I understand where you’re coming from, I know Australia are keeping them in facilities on an island for 14 days, though they were criticised for this. Most potential cases will come from the 2,000 people that flew in from Wuhan right before the travel ban which should have happened sooner.

its difficult because if you give people a deadline, they will always try and get out before it. The only way they could have really stopped a lot of them from getting out is to make it more of a surprise. But locking a city down so suddenly does have its own ethical implications.
Original post by bixol
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51325192

Two people have tested positive for coronavirus in the UK, the chief medical officer for England has announced.

Prof Chris Whitty, chief medical officer for England said: "The NHS is extremely well-prepared and used to managing infections and we are already working rapidly to identify any contacts the patients had, to prevent further spread.

Should’ve banned all flights from China to the U.K.
Reply 22
Original post by Mabey
I went to amazon to buy a mask and all of them are like £50 a pack lol. I ****ing hate capitalism sometimes...

Save your money, they aren't very effecitive anyway unless you are also exceptionally disciplined about hand and face hygiene. People usually contract viruses not by simply breathing it in, but via their contaminated hands when they go to touch the face or rub their eyes. Can you go a whole day without touching your face? Probably not, people unconsciously touch their face hundreds if not thousands of times every day. And you probably touch dozens of door handles and other potentially contaminated surfaces throughout the day too, do you wash your hands each time? Of course not, that would be totally impractical. Short of bunkering down in a remote shack with a few months worth of supplies, there really isn't much anyone can do to prevent catching it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
That is entirely separate, the repatriated citizens are to be put into a 2 week quarantine anyway.

Oh.
Ok.
Reply 24
I am pretty sure most people will have a strong immune system to fight it off.
...oh hell no

Original post by Seris
I am pretty sure most people will have a strong immune system to fight it off.

Oh well that's fine then. Its not like hundreds of people have died or anything.
"Google doesn't support gif insertion here"
Reply 27
200 people out of what 6000? is a lot? Vs any other flue that's killed 3000+ lol. Some of yall be worried about the wrong sht.
Original post by AdelinePeterson
Oh well that's fine then. Its not like hundreds of people have died or anything.
"Google doesn't support gif insertion here"

Mostly those over 60 with pre-existing health conditions.
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
*head to Amazon to order a mask* 😷

:rofl:

Order one for me, please. I am such a fool, going to public study spaces, almost as if I want to catch it.

I have an elderly parent and a very young nephew too, so I should probably stay inside the house.

Just when you think you no longer have self-destructive tendencies...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Mostly those over 60 with pre-existing health conditions.

You're not reassuring.
a lot of young people saying don't be scared because so far its only really been deadly for older people or people with other conditions... Like your parents or grandparents. I'm not worried about catching it for myself, I'm young and strong and should be fine. I'm terrified of catching it and then giving it to my grandpa. Given that you can pass it on before you show any symptoms, if it did become widespread it would be pretty hard not to do so.

People shouldn't be too scared or worried, but equally some people in the UK are far to relaxed about this. if the numbers rise a bit, you all need to be calm, but actually take it serriously. Masks, good hygine, avoid big public places/events, just like we here in China are currently doing already. My worry is that China is very preprared for this type of response and action, I'm not sure British people are.

At the moment its fine, go about your life normally, but be prepared that it may change over the coming week or two for the worse.
Original post by Satin Silk
Order one for me, please. I am such a fool, going to public study spaces, almost as if I want to catch it.

I have an elderly parent and a very young nephew too, so I should probably stay inside the house.

Just when you think you no longer have self-destructive tendencies...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mouth-Cotton-Protection-Fashion-Kawaii/dp/B07TTG2CYG/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=half+face+masks+panda&qid=1580478784&sr=8-7

These look good :tongue:

Haha bless :lol:
okay for real my trips to the library are stopping from today. not gonna die at 18. just not.
Original post by Ibbx
Should’ve banned all flights from China to the U.K.

Genius. that will stop people.

Oh wait, they can just catch a flight to korea or japan, and then to the UK from there.

If someone wants to get there, short of banning all Chinese people from entry, there is little you can do. (And even if you banned all Chinese people, it wouldn't stop people like me who live in China on a british passport.

The fact that you care about the aesthetic appeal has me in tears lmaooooo
Original post by Satin Silk
The fact that you care about the aesthetic appeal has me in tears lmaooooo

Has to be fashionable dear :wink:

Spoiler

Has to be fashionable dear :wink:

Spoiler

:rofl:

I refuse to believe this...wait...you guys have actually ordered them?!

I swear to God my family is way too chill about this.
Original post by AdelinePeterson
You're not reassuring.

Are you over 60 with pre-existing health conditions?
:lol:

No lol got it ages ago as like a bandana :laugh:
We haven’t ordered them.... yet :mmm:

Nah I think you should be chilled dw my family are as well :biggrin:

lmaooooo I am actually so dumb lol

:mmm: What are you waiting for, you lunatic?
I swear people on social media are driving me crazy. I am just going offline and study. :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending