The Student Room Group

Two coronavirus cases confirmed in UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Are you over 60 with pre-existing health conditions?

So something isn't important so long as it doesn't affect you directly?
No to the former, yes the latter.
Original post by AdelinePeterson
So something isn't important so long as it doesn't affect you directly?
No to the former, yes the latter.

This virus is a storm in teacup.

Practice increased hygiene and you will mostly likely be perfectly fine.

The WHO would disagree.
X
The WHO would disagree.
X

The WHO have to considered Global health including nations that are not even near as advanced as we are in the West.

The UK is well prepared for any cases.
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
:laugh:

I was waiting to ask if you wanted one as well, so I could order it you :colondollar:

ignore them and go study :judge:

Spoiler

The WHO have to considered Global health including nations that are not even near as advanced as we are in the West.

The UK is well prepared for any cases.

There's not even any treatment for it yet or vaccinations. The virus doesn't care how developed we are.
/
'have to considered'?
Cool.

Spoiler

Spoiler

There's not even any treatment for it yet or vaccinations. The virus doesn't care how developed we are.
/
'have to considered'?
Cool.

There are plenty of treatments for flu, we aren't living in the dark ages of medicine.

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Satin Silk

Spoiler

Spoiler

There are plenty of treatments for flu, we aren't living in the dark ages of medicine.

Flu isn't the same as the new coronavirus strain. Get clued up. There's no cure for it. It's just a matter of isolating cases.
Flu isn't the same as the new coronavirus strain. Get clued up. There's no cure for it. It's just a matter of isolating cases.

There are almost no cures for any viral disease, but there are still treatments to treat the symptoms.

"Get clued up" :lol:
There are almost no cures for any viral disease, but there are still treatments to treat the symptoms.

Antiviral medicines don't work on coronavirus. Treatment consists mainly of isolation and fluids. The rest is up to a person's immune system.
So yes, get clued up.
Antiviral medicines don't work on coronavirus. Treatment consists mainly of isolation and fluids. The rest is up to a person's immune system.
So yes, get clued up.

:facepalm2:

Thank you for repeating what I just said, it was very helpful.
:facepalm2:

Thank you for repeating what I just said, it was very helpful.

There is as yet no known treatment for the new coronavirus. You said there was. So no, I wasn't repeating what you said.
There is as yet no known treatment for the new coronavirus. You said there was. So no, I wasn't repeating what you said.

Where?

Is that clearer for you?
There are almost NO CURES for any viral disease, but there are still treatments to TREAT THE SYMPTOMS.

Reply 56
Original post by Seris
200 people out of what 6000? is a lot? Vs any other flue that's killed 3000+ lol. Some of yall be worried about the wrong sht.

When it was at 3000 around 500 people were in critical condition and there were others who were dead, so between 17-20% of people end up critical or die. Many of the people infected may yet die so the actually mortality rate can only be determined by comparing those who have actually recovered with those who have died, which will likely be more official at the end of the outbreak.

However I suspect it will remain below 10% which it was for SARS (although more people will probably die due to the new virus being more infectious and globalisation: it infected the same amount of people in a month as SARS did in a year). Definitely higher than regular flu (even a 3% fatality rate is considered high for a respiratory virus) but the majority of people will be fine.

Sensible people: No need to overreact to the coronavirus
Me: sure that makes sense
My mysophobia: are you sure about that?
Reply 58
Original post by fallen_acorns
its difficult because if you give people a deadline, they will always try and get out before it. The only way they could have really stopped a lot of them from getting out is to make it more of a surprise. But locking a city down so suddenly does have its own ethical implications.

Yeah I just remember the virus started in December (only around 5 cases at the time) after reading about it and being confused as to why no measures were seemingly being taken to prevent its initial spread, since any new Coronavirus into the human population as we know by now has the potential to be quite dangerous since our immune systems have no experience with it.

I suppose the one way to stop the virus once and for all would be to ban all travel, get everyone to go out stock up on food and lock themselves in their house for 14 days, then anyone with symptoms at that time can be quarantined and the outbreak is over. Of course this wouldn’t happen because of the economy and it’s certainly quite extreme/impractical but hey it would work. I think global travel should really be stopped though if it keeps getting worse, as if one country gets rid of it / doesn’t have it yet, all it takes is one traveller to bring the infection in, and it’s not just China anymore, it could be anywhere.
Where?

Is that clearer for you?

"There are plenty of treatments for flu, we arent living in the dark ages of medicine"- you.
You appear to be confusing flu with coronavirus. There are no cures for either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending