The Student Room Group

PGCE reference help

Applying for a PGCE and it says I need two references, one from a teacher and one from an employer. Sadly I have no teaching experience nor work experience so I'm wondering what my options are right now.
Original post by SaintMoon
Applying for a PGCE and it says I need two references, one from a teacher and one from an employer. Sadly I have no teaching experience nor work experience so I'm wondering what my options are right now.

Have you done any work experience in advance of your PGCE? Perhaps someone you worked closely with there might be able to help?
If you've recently been in university perhaps one of the staff members there could give you a reference (this is usually expected for any recent graduates and current undergrads)?
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Have you done any work experience in advance of your PGCE? Perhaps someone you worked closely with there might be able to help?
If you've recently been in university perhaps one of the staff members there could give you a reference (this is usually expected for any recent graduates and current undergrads)?

Last place I worked was in a warehouse like last year and it doesn't really show for much since the recruitment company doesn't exist anymore sadly. I'm unsure if I could use two references from uni. I think as a last ditch effort I may try to see if I can get at least a weeks worth of experience at a local high school just for the reference but because I'm in my final year of uni I don't really have much free time.
Last place I worked was in a warehouse like last year and it doesn't really show for much since the recruitment company doesn't exist anymore sadly. I'm unsure if I could use two references from uni. I think as a last ditch effort I may try to see if I can get at least a weeks worth of experience at a local high school just for the reference but because I'm in my final year of uni I don't really have much free time.

If you're applying for a PGCE and you don't have any work experience then this may hamper your application quite a bit anyway. Work experience is often a key ingredient to a good application, and so I'd say there's more than just the benefit of a reference to getting some. :yep:

If you're at university now, was your own school experience a recent one? You could ask one of your old school teachers for help with a reference?
Reply 4
I'm unsure what you mean by the last part of your comment sorry
I'm unsure what you mean by the last part of your comment sorry

Yeah I didn't word that very well, sorry.

Did you leave school within the last 5ish years? If so, a reference from one of your old teachers might be accepted? (It was for me, but I'd also done additional work experience there.)
Reply 6
Final year of uni currently so I got a reference from my tutor, don't think the PGCE would allow for another reference from a teacher since the tutor fits that area. I feel like I may have to try fit in some teaching experience before uni ends to get my PGCE approved, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it'll just make writing my dissertation at the same time a lot more annoying to deal with lmao
Final year of uni currently so I got a reference from my tutor, don't think the PGCE would allow for another reference from a teacher since the tutor fits that area. I feel like I may have to try fit in some teaching experience before uni ends to get my PGCE approved, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it'll just make writing my dissertation at the same time a lot more annoying to deal with lmao

I'm a final year of uni and my first reference was from my old school teacher, and my second was from my uni lecturer. It's allowed. :smile:
If the institutions you apply to want something else, they'll ask for it. :yep:
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17
I'm a final year of uni and my first reference was from my old school teacher, and my second was from my uni lecturer. It's allowed. :smile:
If the institutions you apply to want something else, they'll ask for it. :yep:

Sounds perfect, I guess I'll contact my old high school and ask if they could provide a reference if not maybe take me in for some experience, thank you for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending