The Student Room Group

Two coronavirus cases confirmed in UK

Scroll to see replies

It's not ideal but this is not at all as scary as something like ebola. It just sounds like normal flu (which can be awful but not life threatening unless you are elderly or young).
Original post by AdelinePeterson
So something isn't important so long as it doesn't affect you directly?
No to the former, yes the latter.

Of course it is important to account for every demographic, whether it be young or old people. However, the unfortunate reality is that when people age, their bodies become more susceptible to every disease. Coronavirus can have serious complications in people with compromised immune systems and that’s honestly so sad. But same goes with every disease. The basic cold can, and has been deadly for thousands of elderly people a year.
Reply 82
Original post by thatmedic00
The H1N1 virus started in pigs (pork). Salmonella can be found in chickens. Dogs can develop rabies. Your argument that ‘Ebola started in bats’ is essentially invalid unless we account for every single disease spread by every single animal. Though you do not have to agree with eating bats (neither do I), you should at least respect the culture.

It’s not ‘the culture’. Most Chinese including myself don’t approve of it. I guess you can say selling warm meat is, but that’s a topic for another time.
Reply 83
The H1N1 virus started in pigs (pork). Salmonella can be found in chickens. Dogs can develop rabies. Your argument that ‘Ebola started in bats’ is essentially invalid unless we account for every single disease spread by every single animal. Though you do not have to agree with eating bats (neither do I), you should at least respect the culture.

The problem is the way the meat is cooked, if chicken isn’t cooked properly you can get salmonella. Bats have very unusual immune systems which enables them to carry many diseases such as Ebola, SARS and now seemingly this new virus so they are certainly not ideal for consumption, especially after SARS you’d think people would be more careful as to either not consume them or properly prepare them as to kill any infection.

The bat soup thing basically involved an entire bat, however this isn’t likely what started the outbreak. It began spreading at the wet market which runs due to demand of certain animals seen as delicacy (snakes, baby wolves etc) which was also how the SARS epidemic began. Wet markets are incredibly unhygienic and are perfect areas for viruses to spread since domestic and wild animals, dead and alive, are kept together in unsanitary conditions. I do not agree with nor respect this, and it is not really Chinese culture as I think most citizens do not eat or treat animals as stereotypes suggest.
Reply 84
95F8BADB-D380-415A-B885-01BCD5D0EC11.jpg.jpegDA2DCF7A-0F6E-4D38-BE77-A05394AD84AC.jpg.jpeg
Well there’s definitely mass hysteria about it in China as it conjures up images of the deadly SARS epidemic
Original post by secobf
It’s not ‘the culture’. Most Chinese including myself don’t approve of it. I guess you can say selling warm meat is, but that’s a topic for another time.

Well honestly I would argue that anything to do with food is a “culture” thing, but if you disagree that’s fine. Nevertheless, I do agree with you that I wouldn’t ever eat bats, but we shouldn’t necessarily hate on people who do. Calling it “disgusting” was what I felt was out of line, and what inclined me to reply in the first place. It’s not disgusting just because it’s different than what we’re accustomed to.
Reply 86
Well honestly I would argue that anything to do with food is a “culture” thing, but if you disagree that’s fine. Nevertheless, I do agree with you that I wouldn’t ever eat bats, but we shouldn’t necessarily hate on people who do. Calling it “disgusting” was what I felt was out of line, and what inclined me to reply in the first place. It’s not disgusting just because it’s different than what we’re accustomed to.

Personally I just think something to be considered a culture it has to be mainstream behaviour of a particular ethno-cultural group.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Em.-.
The problem is the way the meat is cooked, if chicken isn’t cooked properly you can get salmonella. Bats have very unusual immune systems which enables them to carry many diseases such as Ebola, SARS and now seemingly this new virus so they are certainly not ideal for consumption, especially after SARS you’d think people would be more careful as to either not consume them or properly prepare them as to kill any infection.

The bat soup thing basically involved an entire bat, however this isn’t likely what started the outbreak. It began spreading at the wet market which runs due to demand of certain animals seen as delicacy (snakes, baby wolves etc) which was also how the SARS epidemic began. Wet markets are incredibly unhygienic and are perfect areas for viruses to spread since domestic and wild animals, dead and alive, are kept together in unsanitary conditions. I do not agree with nor respect this, and it is not really Chinese culture as I think most citizens do not eat or treat animals as stereotypes suggest.

Yes and I definitely agree with you that it being unhygienic is a problem. I am saying that a multitude of diseases are known to have come from animals. Im a medical student and I can name so many diseases that we can develop by eating animals. It just doesn’t make sense to call out people for eating bats (which I agree is known to cause diseases) but not some other animals that can too carry diseases. I’m not trying to argue and i def agree that’s wet markets didn’t help the spread of the disease, but again, there are wet markets everywhere and I just want people to know that there are more countries than just China that have these markets :smile:) it’s bad, but it’s definitely not something that only China should be criticized for.
Original post by secobf
Personally I just think something to be considered a culture it has to be mainstream behaviour of a particular ethno-cultural group.

Okay- different perceptions of the same word i guess, I respect that. It still doesnt make it okay for the original poster to say those things, and that’s what I’m here to reply to! x
three, if they'd heard the state of my cough

Guys honestly in my whole 18 years of lives as a Chinese who is always discriminated by 'eating dog' 'eating bat' thing, I'd say that I don't even know that Chinese would eat bats or dogs before I've got in touch with some foreigners who have read a lot of freaking novel-like news... Please it's so pressured that I can't even walk on the road... It's not a cultural thing, just like there might be people like Edmund Kemper in the world but it doesn't mean that everyone in the world would be a killer...
We are also confused why would there be such a kind of idiot who ate those animals in our country. It's already stressful enough to answer the question like 'All you Chinese guys eat dog?' no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way I'm the second child in my family, the one-child policy really doesn't mean a thing for almost all of the families in China. Nearly every time I heard something about my country from somebody else I was like 'What?????? Are they really talking about my country....?'
Bruuh. Idk where I can buy surgical masks in person rather than online
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 92
Yes and I definitely agree with you that it being unhygienic is a problem. I am saying that a multitude of diseases are known to have come from animals. Im a medical student and I can name so many diseases that we can develop by eating animals. It just doesn’t make sense to call out people for eating bats (which I agree is known to cause diseases) but not some other animals that can too carry diseases. I’m not trying to argue and i def agree that’s wet markets didn’t help the spread of the disease, but again, there are wet markets everywhere and I just want people to know that there are more countries than just China that have these markets :smile:) it’s bad, but it’s definitely not something that only China should be criticized for.

I know it’s not only China which have these markets, which is why people are asking for a complete ban on them everywhere, this is the second time since 2002* it’s caused a major (even worse this time) epidemic in the same country. But bats are worse due to the amount of diseases they’re capable of carrying without it really harming them. Other animals that are consumed are generally cooked well enough to stop disease.

* also there were cases of the bird flu due to live poultry markets during this time, also in China.

I will not criticise China as a country as I believe the government did make these markets illegal and those deciding to eat bats are certainly a minority, but bats are just known for spreading disease due to their immune systems so I believe eating them is more irresponsible than other animals, especially if the meat isn’t prepared properly. Though the wet markets are certainly the worst thing (unhygienic and also rather cruel) and the main problem I believe.

I just hope for a global ban on wet markets before this happens again.
(edited 4 years ago)
...I can't help to read those posts saying 'world is getting worse because of Chinese' and being somehow angry but don't know what to say... Every time I say something that trying to say that neither all the Chines I knew nor I doing such things they said, they'll just say 'Oh you are brainwashed by your communist government! Poor you!'
Then some people can't take the stress for being discriminated and they backed to China, those ignorants would just say 'oh you piece of garbage, you are backing home just because you can't get a job in a foreign country, neither I would give you! '
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
If they were properly checked and certified fit for human consumption it wouldn't be such an issue, but in areas with little to no regulation on meat sales there will always be issues.

Personally I wouldn't mind eating bat provided that it was certified safe.

Original post by princetonalec
And in the UK we eat dried pigs blood and sheep heart, brains and other organs chopped up and cooked in its own stomach.
So you really don't have an argument in my eyes.

Suit yourselves, I am definitively not eating messed up **** like bats
Reply 95
Original post by secobf
95F8BADB-D380-415A-B885-01BCD5D0EC11.jpg.jpegDA2DCF7A-0F6E-4D38-BE77-A05394AD84AC.jpg.jpeg
Well there’s definitely mass hysteria about it in China as it conjures up images of the deadly SARS epidemic

I heard the picture on the left was from KL?
Original post by secobf
You never know whether there's a cover up on the Chinese side. Ever since SARS I think most people highly distrust the Chinese government in providing accurate information about the virus. It's slightly better this time but it's not ideal. Only after Winnie the Pooh said they have to put people's health first did the cases increase twofold overnight. There have been rumours that the Chinese are controlling the increase in case numbers by controlling the number of test kits they distribute.

If I had half of the passion you had for conspiracy theories which pose no tangible benefit to the Chinese government for my degree i'd be writing the course.
Reply 97
Original post by princetonalec
If I had half of the passion you had for conspiracy theories which pose no tangible benefit to the Chinese government for my degree i'd be writing the course.

No tangible benefit?
You definitely don't understand the ins and outs of Chinese politics
It's all about face and also in the fact that the Chinese believe that any mass catastrophe is a sign that the regime has to change
Bit difficult to explain but think a Chinese expat made a video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLp8CHeKQkI
Reply 98
Original post by Em.-.
I know it’s not only China which have these markets, which is why people are asking for a complete ban on them everywhere, this is the second time since 2002* it’s caused a major (even worse this time) epidemic in the same country. But bats are worse due to the amount of diseases they’re capable of carrying without it really harming them. Other animals that are consumed are generally cooked well enough to stop disease.

* also there were cases of the bird flu due to live poultry markets during this time, also in China.

I will not criticise China as a country as I believe the government did make these markets illegal and those deciding to eat bats are certainly a minority, but bats are just known for spreading disease due to their immune systems so I believe eating them is more irresponsible than other animals, especially if the meat isn’t prepared properly. Though the wet markets are certainly the worst thing (unhygienic and also rather cruel) and the main problem I believe.

I just hope for a global ban on wet markets before this happens again.

Making them illegal means absolutely **** all in China. That's how laws in China are generally treated.
As soon as the CPG (Central People's Government) stops exerting pressure on local governments enforcement basically grinds to a halt.
Reply 99
This is just an international disaster. I’m surprised the students’ visas haven’t been revoked yet.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending