The Student Room Group

American Imperialism is dying: Philippines vows to 'tone down' relations with USA

Philippine president also said cabinet members would be barred from visiting US due to diplomatic row over Washington refusal to issue visa to one of Duterte’s allies.

“No cabinet member should be allowed to go to the United States [except the foreign affairs secretary],” he said. “I will not allow any cabinet member to go there at this time.”

Duterte reiterated his willingness to ‘terminate the VFA’, the 1998 agreement that governs US soldiers visiting for military exercises and humanitarian operations.

Since becoming president in 2016, Duterte has repeatedly threatened to “break up” the Southeast Asian nation’s alliance with the US, while pursuing closer ties with China.

The current stand-off was set in motion when the US Senate last month passed a resolution seeking sanctions against Philippine officials.

“We will not sit idly if they continue to interfere with our processes as a sovereign state,” Philippine presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said in December.

Duterte on Wednesday reiterated his willingness to “terminate the VFA”. “I was not joking. The day I said it was the day that I decided it should be terminated,” he said. “I will do it not only for dela Rosa but for every Filipino.”

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/3048180/philippine-president-rodrigo-duterte-skip-us-asean-summit
Reply 1
Great! Hopefully Trump cuts off the $175 million of U.S. development financial assistance along with the $200 million worth of military aid. Maybe turn it into a loan and make them pay it off with interest. Time to end the support for fighting terrorism there as well.

Maybe if they're lucky the Philippines will stop China from trying to win back Taiwan and occupy them instead.

Good luck to them with their outbreak of Corona Virus, I hope we or the USA won't be financially assisting. If you want to be independent, do it! Don't half do it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Good, Duterte is deadwood.

Original post by 3121
Great! Hopefully Trump cuts off the $175 million of U.S. development financial assistance along with the $200 million worth of military aid. Maybe turn it into a loan and make them pay it off with interest. Time to end the support for fighting terrorism there as well.

Maybe if they're lucky the Philippines will stop China from trying to win back Taiwan and occupy them instead.

Good luck to them with their outbreak of Corona Virus, I hope we or the USA won't be financially assisting. If you want to be independent, do it! Don't half do it.
Another day, another 10 **** posts from the CRCs propaganda dept.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Philippine president also said cabinet members would be barred from visiting US due to diplomatic row over Washington refusal to issue visa to one of Duterte’s allies.

“No cabinet member should be allowed to go to the United States [except the foreign affairs secretary],” he said. “I will not allow any cabinet member to go there at this time.”

Duterte reiterated his willingness to ‘terminate the VFA’, the 1998 agreement that governs US soldiers visiting for military exercises and humanitarian operations.

Since becoming president in 2016, Duterte has repeatedly threatened to “break up” the Southeast Asian nation’s alliance with the US, while pursuing closer ties with China.

The current stand-off was set in motion when the US Senate last month passed a resolution seeking sanctions against Philippine officials.

“We will not sit idly if they continue to interfere with our processes as a sovereign state,” Philippine presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said in December.

Duterte on Wednesday reiterated his willingness to “terminate the VFA”. “I was not joking. The day I said it was the day that I decided it should be terminated,” he said. “I will do it not only for dela Rosa but for every Filipino.”

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/3048180/philippine-president-rodrigo-duterte-skip-us-asean-summit

Duterte is an insecure dictator trying his luck in a so called unlike Mr Xi who doesn't hide his authoritarianism.

Reminder of Chinese imperialism against the Philippines:

Reply 5
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Duterte is an insecure dictator trying his luck in a so called unlike Mr Xi who doesn't hide his authoritarianism.

How is he a dictator sorry? He might be an unpleasant individual but he won office freely and fairly..
Necessary. Philippines is a literal hell hole. They culturally live in cemeteries, and eat garbage aka pag-pag....imagine legitimising eating rubbish and literally rotten meat because it happens so much, by giving it an actual nickname....12 yr olds casually give birth. 19 yr olds have six kids....they're crawling with viruses from bacteria from fishing out of water brimming with pollution!! They make like less than one quid a day!!

Watch MarkNowhereMan YouTube channel....a Filipino man with thousands of vlogs documenting his fellow missionaries touring slums and giving homeless families food, all while condemning USA's relation with the place and cheap labour. I've seen **** on his videos that's unlike anywhere else. Makes the slums of Brazil, India and Africa look like Disneyland....
Reply 7
Original post by Just my opinion
Another day, another 10 **** posts from the CRCs propaganda dept.

That's nearly a couple of grand a year, if my calculations are right. Well done to him, I think it's cool and it just wouldn't be the same without.
Reply 8
Original post by Bang Outta Order
12 yr olds casually give birth. 19 yr olds have six kids....

Manchester isn't in the Philippines?
Original post by Napp
Manchester isn't in the Philippines?

Ok but that doesn't happen here. It regularly happens in the Philippines. Your point was..?

You're mocking my post as if to say that the Philippines is in great shape contrary to my point; then how deluded can ya get?

Anyways like I said they make less than a quid a day. Damn sure less than a fiver. And a lot of it is to do with USA's outsourced cheap labour.
Reply 10
Ok but that doesn't happen here. It regularly happens in the Philippines. Your point was..?

You're mocking my post as if to say that the Philippines is in great shape contrary to my point; then how deluded can ya get?

Anyways like I said they make less than a quid a day. Damn sure less than a fiver. And a lot of it is to do with USA's outsourced cheap labour.

Actually i was just being rude about the UK... you need to chill out bro.
Original post by Napp
Actually i was just being rude about the UK... you need to chill out bro.

Actually I know that and that's why I won't "chill out"
Reply 12
Actually I know that and that's why I won't "chill out"

Apparently not :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending