The Student Room Group

Coronavirus. I’m too scared to go outside

Scroll to see replies

Do you believe in God? Just pray to him and you will feel a sense of peace.

Maybe this will encourage and force people who have struggled/found it hard to maintain good hygiene (like me) to actually keep themselves clean.
Bruv it’s only 2% of people that die from it and that’s mostly 80 year olds. Unless you’re old or have a immune system disability, then don’t worry
Original post by PrazzPrazz
You cannot be serious right now, we have something called the NHS which China doesn't have. The reason the infection became a pandemic crisis was that China's healthcare system diagnosis and treatment is not free, unlike the UK. I am sure if someone was sick with a virus in the UK they would get immediate and rapid treatment as well as being isolated. Consuming vitamins DOES NOT defend you from a virus, only bacterium. PS yes wearing a face mask is weird.

The Chinese health system is very good and also very cheap - from what I've seen of it in a big city it is quicker and often more high tech than the NHS and doesn't cost a lot more than the parking fee you're likely to get during the time you wait in A&E here. The Chinese also have far more control over their population which makes it easier for them to isolate people and to take rapid containment measures. Do you see us building a hospital in 10 days? . The country's experience of SARS has taught them a lot about how to react to this.

Thousands of people are sick with viruses in the UK every day and most of them just get on with their lives, going to work/school and giving it to other people. It appears those with Coronavirus can pass it on before they get symptoms and many people won't get that ill, meaning they won't necessarily know what they've got and so it will be very hard to contain. On the plus side it looks as though it isn't that serious for the majority of healthy people.

Yes, it's worrying but we need to keep it in perspective.
Original post by Anonymous
Do you believe in God? Just pray to him and you will feel a sense of peace.

Either any god is responsible for this or he doesn't intervene. Either way he's not much help.
Reply 64
Original post by Mustafa0605
Bruv it’s only 2% of people that die from it and that’s mostly 80 year olds. Unless you’re old or have a immune system disability, then don’t worry

Will likely be more than 2%, since many of the cases will account for people who will eventually die. For the first 3000 there were 500-600 critically ill or dead, suggesting up to 20% become seriously ill, and the more people infected the less space and supplies there will be to treat them. I think a study in the first 41 then 99 patients indicated 11% and 14% mortality rates (not sure which was first). Hopefully those with mild symptoms have not been documented, but due to the panic level I’d expect they too would go to get tested.
Original post by Em.-.
Will likely be more than 2%, since many of the cases will account for people who will eventually die. For the first 3000 there were 500-600 critically ill or dead, suggesting up to 20% become seriously ill, and the more people infected the less space and supplies there will be to treat them. I think a study in the first 41 then 99 patients indicated 11% and 14% mortality rates (not sure which was first). Hopefully those with mild symptoms have not been documented, but due to the panic level I’d expect they too would go to get tested.

As you say we only have data on the cases that have been ill enough to seek medical attention. The chances are there are large numbers of cases that have gone unreported because their symptoms were mild - how often do you bother to go to a GP when you get a virus? - I'd stick it out at home if I could. No point landing up with a load of infected people.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Compost
As you say we only have data on the cases that have been ill enough to seek medical attention. The chances are there are large numbers of cases that have gone unreported because their symptoms were mild - how often do you bother to go to a GP when you get a virus? - I'd stick it out at home if I could. No point landing up with a load of infected people.

That’s what I said, hopefully most with mild symptoms haven’t looked for help. However I expect those with symptoms, as the virus became a large concern, probably would have out of fear. The Chinese government is taking it seriously (as they should), so the citizens must be concerned.
Not to scare anyone but I heard 2 students in Bethnal Green school got it, and it’s in London now too. They tend to put people that come from wuhan in isolation and check if they have it.

I don’t understand why they just don’t ban them from getting out of wuhan? They are travelling around the world and spreading it everywhere.

WTFFF that's not even far from where I live!!!!!
You clearly just have anxiety and you’re probably worried about 50 other things at the minute. You’re being incredibly irrational.

I saw online that 73 people or so have been tested negative so I don't know what you're even on about kmt.
I saw somewhere that 2000 people from wuhan have arrived in the U.K. in the past week or 2 weeks.

And only around 100 of those people have been tested for the virus. And thankfully it was -ve.

I feel like the only thing I can do at the moment is buy a face mask, stay away from humans and strengthen my immune system by drinking my vitamins.

But the thing is I have so much anxiety that im too scared to wear a face mask outside because ppl will think I’m weird. But I’ve got to suck it up and just wear it for protection.

I’m fracking scared

That coronavirus case in a hotel in York is five minutes away from my house (piece of **** hotel btw, they replaced a swimming pool to build it). I'm a relatively anxious person but I'm dealing with this with the knowledge that it's basically a ramped up version of the cold that only really effects people over 50, and if you keep decent hygiene e.g. wash ur hands there's not much to worry about. Even if I have caught the virus theres not much I can do and given the survival rate is 98% I like my chances. Stuff like this happens all the time, if you live far away from York or major cities I'd recommend worrying about other things.

Lol it’s not even far from where I live, I live in poplar, and I have severe anxiety because of health issue after health issue, but I just think like if we die we die, nothing we can do about it. We will all die one day. If we die from the coronavirus, that’s just the way you’re supposed to go.
Original post by ffisher1
That coronavirus case in a hotel in York is five minutes away from my house (piece of **** hotel btw, they replaced a swimming pool to build it). I'm a relatively anxious person but I'm dealing with this with the knowledge that it's basically a ramped up version of the cold that only really effects people over 50, and if you keep decent hygiene e.g. wash ur hands there's not much to worry about. Even if I have caught the virus theres not much I can do and given the survival rate is 98% I like my chances. Stuff like this happens all the time, if you live far away from York or major cities I'd recommend worrying about other things.

Those two in York are from one Chinese family one of which is a student at York University.
They were moved to an isolation ward at the RVI in Newcastle and the authorities are trying to fund anyone that has been in contact with the two of them especially around the University
Relax, what about when swine flus were going around? Were you that scared then?

A girl in my school was affected by swine flu, but she’s alive today. Just relax.

Did you realise these kind of flus/viruses come from animals? I heard swine flu was from pigs, and this coronavirus is probably because of the ridiculous stuff that Chinese people eat.

A girl in my school was affected by swine flu, but she’s alive today. Just relax.

Did you realise these kind of flus/viruses come from animals? I heard swine flu was from pigs, and this coronavirus is probably because of the ridiculous stuff that Chinese people eat.

Yeah it's cos they eat dogs and snakes and s***

Just because it’s different doesn’t mean it’s ridiculous x
Yeah it's cos they eat dogs and snakes and s***

As well as camels, badgers, weasels, rodents, bats to be sold for food!
Reply 77
I saw somewhere that 2000 people from wuhan have arrived in the U.K. in the past week or 2 weeks.

And only around 100 of those people have been tested for the virus. And thankfully it was -ve.

I feel like the only thing I can do at the moment is buy a face mask, stay away from humans and strengthen my immune system by drinking my vitamins.

But the thing is I have so much anxiety that im too scared to wear a face mask outside because ppl will think I’m weird. But I’ve got to suck it up and just wear it for protection.

I’m fracking scared

You are grossly over reacting. And it is quite bizarre that you care about looking "weird" when wanting to protect your own health! What is that about?
coronavirus attack mainly old people...so if you r young i doubt you have anything to be worring about
Thank you! A comment I can actually relate to that has answers! I'm currently in the same position as you and have also came to the conclusions of wearing masks, but I read that they don't protect you for it so I'm not going to buy one. This whole event though, its making me have anxiety like I've never had before. Now I constantly feel uneasy (even now) and I have got a small, tickly cough and its scaring me.. I keep having panic attacks and dizziness spurts and when I close my eyes to sleep, all my mind is focused on is everything in my life that terrifies me. I haven't slept well in a few months, but now I've heard of this virus, I've been getting no sleep at all. Urgh.

The only thing I suggest that we do is don't breathe unless we are far away from people. I'm not taking any chances. Or the more sensible way is to not look at the news stuff anymore and see if the stress dies down, but I personally find that extremely hard to do.. So ima just stick with option 1 and panic til I die. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest