The Student Room Group

A new country, a fresh beginning. We move forward.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Wired_1800
No need for independence

Not independence, resolution.
Original post by gjd800
Not independence, resolution.

What resolution do you suggest?
Reply 62
What resolution do you suggest?

Britain out. NI wouldn't be 'independent', it'd be Irish. The change will happen organically, no rush to force it
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You see, this is why people think leavers are massive prats who lack any answers or justification, and why as a result many remainers spit in the face of uniting behind the result. You can't offer any serious response or argument over how the root cause of all our issues lies deeper than the EU and that, while not having to have harmful economic policy dictated to us (like it was to the Greeks) is potentially useful, it's no good when we're lock step with that economic policy anyway, instead you just try to gloat.

The occupation of the six counties ending and complete Irish independence would be a good start. Also Scotland freeing itself of the sassenachs

You are correct, I agree with everything you say my little punk.
Does that make you happier?
I have stated time and time again the reasons which I feel are good enough for me to have voted to leave the EU and still be happy with that, lots of people on here don't agree that they are good enough reasons and have constantly berated and attempted to belittle what I personally see to be important for the future of this nation so please forgive my, admittedly slightly tart reaction, but I don't feel that many of us have covered ourselves in any glory in the last nearly 4 years now when it comes to magnanimity.
Maybe this should be a time to attempt at least to put all of that behind us and get back to some semblance of normality in looking to do whatever is necessary to move forward and get on with running the country.
Original post by gjd800
Britain out. NI wouldn't be 'independent', it'd be Irish. The change will happen organically, no rush to force it

Wow. Are your anti-British?
Reply 65

How can you possibly infer that?

Don't you recognise gjd800s avatar?
It's Michael Collins- Director of Intelligence of the Irish Republican Army. :lol:
Original post by gjd800
How can you possibly infer that?

From your avatar...
Original post by londonmyst
Don't you recognise gjd800s avatar?
It's Michael Collins- Director of Intelligence of the Irish Republican Army. :lol:

Wanted him to say it
Wanted him to say it

TSRs resident Irish republican nationalists are very willing to say it and have lots to say. :vroam:
TSRs resident Irish republican nationalists are very willing to say it and have lots to say. :vroam:

Do you think Irish reunification may happen in the near future?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
The only way it's a fresh beginning is if we dump this government in the sea tomorrow morning. You're about to learn first hand what we've been telling you for years - the problems this country faces are home made and perpetuated by a succession of poor governments. The EU is far from perfect, it's far too attached to neoliberalism as an ideology and as a result happily enforces the development of a stark wealth gap and the destruction of communities being choked by the "invisible hand of the free market", but you're a fool if you don't think that the UK has been a major driver of that ideology through Thatcher and her acolytes like Blair and Cameron. There will be no great improvements, because the root issue is still there - you'll never "make Britain great again" or whatever your slogan will be until you recognise your actual enemy and yeet the billionaires into the sun where they belong

Amen. Brexit will not solve the problems this country has, and will make a lot of them much worse
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 72
From your avatar...

Mick wasn't 'anti-British', he was anti-Britain-in-Ireland.
Reply 73

Aye, it's not some 'gotcha', Mick is an Irish hero.
Original post by gjd800
Mick wasn't 'anti-British', he was anti-Britain-in-Ireland.

What about you? Do you want to see the reunification? What about unionists? Should they face the guillotine for their treachery?
Do you think Irish reunification may happen in the near future?

No.
I don't think that there is much enthusiasm for it within Northern Ireland or Britain as a whole.
Within fringe circles there have always been dissident movements and hardcore revolutionaries with an aggressive separatist agenda.
Even within the fringes of the unionist loyalist side talking about an independent ulster where two counties are dumped upon the Republic of Ireland.

That said, there is a lot of anger and social tension within mainstream circles in NI that trouble-making elements are trying to exploit for their own ends.
Nationalism & religion have long been the main and most effective propaganda tools.
Attempting to weaponize issues like: changes to NIs abortion laws, introduction of civil partnerships & gay marriage, brexit, annual loyalist parades and heritage/language teaching in schools.
Reply 76
What about you? Do you want to see the reunification? What about unionists? Should they face the guillotine for their treachery?

I already answered that question earlier on. Of course I want a unified Ireland.

Again, putting words in my mouth. You engage in bad faith, it is not endearing
Original post by gjd800
Aye, it's not some 'gotcha', Mick is an Irish hero.

Depends which Irish circles are asked for their opinions on the subject.
The hibs seem to detest Michael Collins even more than the orange order and fundamentalist church ranters do.
Reply 78
Depends which Irish circles are asked for their opinions on the subject.
The hibs seem to detest Michael Collins even more than the orange order and fundamentalist church ranters do.

Never understood the notion the he sold out by endorsing the deal for partition when it was clear that it was either that or nothing, but the civil war is very messy and it's hard to draw clear lines really
Original post by gjd800
I already answered that question earlier on. Of course I want a unified Ireland.

Again, putting words in my mouth. You engage in bad faith, it is not endearing

Wired is just teasing you.

Whereas I am genuinely annoyed at the fact that I can't wear my tartan miniskirt in Belfast without getting major hassle from the republican
nationalists. :whip:
The orange lot only come after me when they see my tartan microskirt. :tongue:
Or on a Sunday.

Quick Reply

Latest