The Student Room Group

BMAT 2021 entry discussions megathread (Updated 20th October)

[scroll]If you wanted your essay looking at, post to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6765780[/scroll]

https://www.admissionstesting.org/campaigns/coronavirus/

Last updated: 20th October 2020

Covid-19: important information for BMAT candidates

Here’s a summary of the changes to BMAT November due to Covid-19:

BMAT November will still be taken at your chosen centre on 4 November but you will take it on a computer rather than with pen and paper. The test format will remain the same.

Your school/centre will be able to advise whether you should bring your own laptop or if a computer will be provided for you.

Candidates taking BMAT in Thailand or Singapore, please note your test will remain paper-based.

You should register for the test through your school/centre in the usual way.

To cover the additional costs of delivering the test during the Covid-19 pandemic, the test fees have changed.

A reimbursement scheme is in place for those who cannot afford the standard test fee.

For full details of the test fee changes and reimbursement criteria, please visit the BMAT November dates and costs page.

We understand you will have questions about computer-based test delivery. Subscribe to our Support Site article for the latest updates and frequently asked questions (FAQs).

Unable to access a test centre due to Covid-19?
For candidates who are unable to access a test centre due to Covid-19 restrictions, we can offer a remote proctored test service. This means you can take the test on a laptop or computer in your preferred location. For the full criteria and how to apply, please read our Support Site article.

Here is the BMAT 2020 thread (discussion of tests taken in 2019)
Here is the BMAT 2019 thread (discussion of tests taken in 2018)

What is the BMAT?
The BMAT (Biomedical Admissions Test) is a 2 hour examination required for entry to a number of Medical Schools in the United Kingdom, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Spain and Netherlands as well as a selection of Dentistry and Biomedical Science courses.

When is the BMAT?
The BMAT examination can be taken on one of two dates in 2019. The first date is 31st August 2019, and is suitable for all BMAT applicants except Oxford applicants. The second BMAT examination date is 30th October 2019; this is suitable for all BMAT applicants. Students can choose to take the BMAT examination on either one of these dates at a registered centre/school.

Who has to take the BMAT?

Undergraduate Medicine Applicants to: University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, University College London, Brighton and Sussex Medical School, Lancaster University, University of Leeds, Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (Singapore), University of Malaya (Malaysia), Thammasat University CICM, (Thailand), Mahidol University (Thailand).

Graduate Medicine Applicants to: University of Oxford, Imperial College London.

Biomedical Science Applicants to: University of Oxford.

Dentistry Applicants to: University of Leeds, Thammasat University (Thailand), University of Melbourne (Australia)

How to Prepare for the BMAT?
The first and most important step is to consider the BMAT like any other A-Level or GCSE examination, and ignore any mention of the BMAT as 'an examination that cannot be prepared for.' There is a statistically significant correlation between the amount one prepares for the BMAT, and one's BMAT score.

Section 1 (Aptitude and Skills) - 35 MCQ, 60 Minutes
Question Types: Problem Solving, Data Handling & Critical Thinking

A) Resources - Make use of the abundance of free practice resources available for Section 1. In addition to the Official BMAT Past Papers, Oxford TSA Past Papers provide additional practice for Problem Solving questions whilst OCR Critical Thinking Unit 2 is a very useful practice resource for Critical Thinking Questions.

B) Recognise Pitfalls - In contrast to most A-Level examinations, BMAT Section 1 is full of tricks and trips, intended to misguide students. Fortunately, there are only so-many tricks that the BMAT are able to use. Hence, each time you come across one of these, add it to your 'personal list', to avoid making the same mistake in future practice.

Section 2 (Scientific Knowledge and Applications) - 27 MCQ, 30 Minutes
Question Types: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics

A) Official Resource Guide - With this being the official resource guide, there really is no better resource for Section 2 preparation. Most students find it best to quickly review the whole guide and highlight any topics which they have not covered at GCSE level for further learning. Bear in mind that whilst Section 2 is supposed to be 'GCSE Level'; the examination can assess topics which you may not have covered until AS and sometimes even A2 due to variation in exam board specifications.

B) Timing - Half the challenge of Section 2 is the limited time; hence, it essential to practice this section under strict timed conditions. Fast mental maths, confident use of fractions and a good background Biology knowledge, will ensure that you have additional time for those challenging Physics and Chemistry calculations.

C) Resources - Once you have completed all official and BMAT specific resources, GCSE Bitesize is of some use, whilst you may wish to also consider practicing GCSE Maths Calculator papers, without a calculator in order to further improve your mental maths.

D) BMAT Subject Guide - Past Papers are categorised by subjects. Useful resource if you are stronger/weaker in certain subjects.

Section 3 (Written Task) - 1 Essay (Choice of 3), 30 Minutes
Question Types: Topical Medical Issues, Medical Ethics, Medical Philosophy, Veterinary Medicine

A) Address all parts of the question - Each question normally has three or four parts. Regardless of how good your essay is, if you do not address all parts of the question, your essay will be capped at 3/3.5 as per the Section 3 Official Marking Criteria.

B) Plan - With 30 minutes, and one A4 sheet provided, this section is the least time restricted. Essays which score highest are those which are well structured and address all parts of the question, bringing in additional topical examples and knowledge.

Free BMAT Resources
A) Official BMAT Past Papers (Style 1)
B) Official BMAT Past Papers (Style 2)
C) Past Paper Worked Solutions
D) Section 1 Practice Questions
E) Section 2 Practice Questions
F) Practice Questions
G) BMAT Subject Guide
H) BMAT Articles

Essential Books
A) Preparing for the BMAT: The Official Guide to the Biomedical Admissions Test
B) BMAT Past Paper Worked Solutions (2003-Present)

(adapted from post by rmd141)

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I’ve applied to Imperial for medical biosciences - the new biomedical sciences course - and did not need to take the BMAT (although I did take it for Oxford). As far as I know, BMAT hasn’t been required for entry to Imperial for biomedical sciences from 2017 onwards, when the degree was revised.
Reply 2
Hi all! I'm planning to apply to Leeds University for the Dentistry course, which requires the BMAT test to be taken. Therefore, I was wondering when did people who have taken the test previously begin to revise and are there any FREE useful resources online? Thanks!
Original post by klywi03
Hi all! I'm planning to apply to Leeds University for the Dentistry course, which requires the BMAT test to be taken. Therefore, I was wondering when did people who have taken the test previously begin to revise and are there any FREE useful resources online? Thanks!

I took the bmat in august 2019 and began revising about a month before. i recommend just going through the past papers on the bmat website and timing it exactly as in the real thing then marking it and trying to figure out why you went wrong. its hard to really predict the things that come up for sections 1 and 2 because it is so random. but the writing section has some themes which are quite easy to figure out and predict then revise accordingly
Reply 4
Original post by klywi03

Hello! I'm a first year dental student at Leeds and I started my BMAT revision around March time but only properly began to do past papers etc in the summer holidays
I just used the specification and past papers on the BMAT website which are all free :smile:

Hope this helps!
Hiya, I know its early, but I'm scoping out the best BMAT resources and have been looking at BMAT ninja. Does anybody know if and when it expires once you've bought it? Thank you for any help
Reply 6
Original post by beatriceaj71
Hiya, I know its early, but I'm scoping out the best BMAT resources and have been looking at BMAT ninja. Does anybody know if and when it expires once you've bought it? Thank you for any help

Not early because there's a thread already!

Have you looked at last years' threads? (linked in the first post)

I had a quick scan through, but I couldn't see the answer to my question. However, its likely I may have missed it
(edited 4 years ago)
done a few practice papers from these years under timed conditions. currently averaging 6.5 to 7 - are these a lot easier than current papers?
Original post by forbearne
done a few practice papers from these years under timed conditions. currently averaging 6.5 to 7 - are these a lot easier than current papers?

2003-05 btw
2003-05 btw

Yh they’re easier cos the spec changed x
for section 1 (for example) should I do all the questions ive found then redo them in timed conditions on a seperate day? I just dont know how im supposed to do them in timed conditions cos id be doing the same questions if that makes sense
how am I supposed to do questions in timed conditions? im going to do all the questions ive found etc but do I then redo them on a different day in timed conditions?thx
Original post by PastelColours
for section 1 (for example) should I do all the questions ive found then redo them in timed conditions on a seperate day? I just dont know how im supposed to do them in timed conditions cos id be doing the same questions if that makes sense

Section 1 isn’t really that time pressured - try under timed conditions first and then do without time pressure to see if you get a different answer. Btw are you yr 12 too?
Section 1 isn’t really that time pressured - try under timed conditions first and then do without time pressure to see if you get a different answer. Btw are you yr 12 too?

ok will do thanks, how much time should I give myself for each question? yep! im assuming you are too?!
I'd do them in timed conditions first time round? You do them in timed conditions by working out how long you would have per question in the exam and give yourself that much time
There are hundreds out there so you probably won't run out
It's a bit early to do BMAT revision yet though
Original post by PastelColours
how am I supposed to do questions in timed conditions? im going to do all the questions ive found etc but do I then redo them on a different day in timed conditions?thx

Have you looked at last years' threads linked in the first post?

nope will do thanks x
For Oxford, what BMAT would be sufficient to get an interview - I have 10 A*.
For Oxford, what BMAT would be sufficient to get an interview - I have 10 A*.

It will depend where you rank relative to the other applicants in the October BMAT cohort.

Great job on the 10 A*s

Latest

Trending

Trending