The Student Room Group

Need info

Is there any service obligation or some sort of contract for Oxford's medicine students?
Original post by Aegyst
Is there any service obligation or some sort of contract for Oxford's medicine students?

What do you mean? You will have an agreement with the uni - a code of conduct or whatever - as well as accommodation contract where applicable.

There is no obligation to work for the NHS afterwards. The UK's medical system is very unusual though, and it would be very hard to work as a doctor abroad straight after graduation.
Reply 2
Original post by nexttime
What do you mean? You will have an agreement with the uni - a code of conduct or whatever - as well as accommodation contract where applicable.

There is no obligation to work for the NHS afterwards. The UK's medical system is very unusual though, and it would be very hard to work as a doctor abroad straight after graduation.

Oo.. I see.. But what do you mean that it would be hard to work abroad after graduation? Do I need to have work experience first in UK?

Thanks by the way..
Original post by Aegyst
Oo.. I see.. But what do you mean that it would be hard to work abroad after graduation? Do I need to have work experience first in UK?

Thanks by the way..

Yes. So its only after working 1 year in the NHS that you are considered equivalent to when a European graduates med school, for example (you only have provisional registration before then, a step no other country has). And then if you do the second year, there is a natural career break that will make it vastly easier to come back to the UK again after going abroad, so most people complete that too.
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
Yes. So its only after working 1 year in the NHS that you are considered equivalent to when a European graduates med school, for example (you only have provisional registration before then, a step no other country has). And then if you do the second year, there is a natural career break that will make it vastly easier to come back to the UK again after going abroad, so most people complete that too.

Okay, I understand now.. Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending