The Student Room Group

Newcastle A100/A101 2020 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VoteLabour
Around Jesmond area which is where the majority of students live, you should easily find a room in a 5+ bedroom house for 70+ quid a week (often cheaper but the houses won't be amazing obviously haha) so it is so much cheaper. I did my UG in the South and paid 630+ a month so it's a massive difference.

I would advise against Uni student accommodation because this starts at around 100 quid.

Thank you, that's really helpful! I'm assuming the £70 isn't including bills? I see that often uni accommodation is more, but because bills are included it often works out similar.
Original post by Laycity
Coronavirus patients being treated in RV hospital next to uni, one of only 4 suitably equipped hospitals in the country.

Current medics there must be buzzing.

Haha! It’s an interesting one that’s for sure. I only hope it isn’t spread further- fresher’s flu 2.0!!
Reply 42
Does anybody know how many A100 offers Newcastle give out each year? (just out of interest)
Original post by Marni_
Thank you, that's really helpful! I'm assuming the £70 isn't including bills? I see that often uni accommodation is more, but because bills are included it often works out similar.

*Usually*, yes. It doesn't include bills. Having said that, if you're flexible on location you can get bills inc. for between £75 and £100 a week. There are places in Jesmond for £100 incl. bills.

Newcastle is exceptionally walkable, so don't feel you need to be uber close to the Med School if you don't want to be. I lived down in a place called Arthur's Hill (not the greatest part to be honest) a couple years back and paid £75 a week incl. bills. It would have taken me maybe 10 minutes to walk to the Med School if I was quick about it.
Original post by tecwhizz
*Usually*, yes. It doesn't include bills. Having said that, if you're flexible on location you can get bills inc. for between £75 and £100 a week. There are places in Jesmond for £100 incl. bills.

Newcastle is exceptionally walkable, so don't feel you need to be uber close to the Med School if you don't want to be. I lived down in a place called Arthur's Hill (not the greatest part to be honest) a couple years back and paid £75 a week incl. bills. It would have taken me maybe 10 minutes to walk to the Med School if I was quick about it.

Thank you, that's really informative. So do you think many med students have a car to get to placements etc? What's the parking situation like (for outside houses, med school and placements)? I was thinking of bringing mine but now that's making me reconsider.
Original post by Marni_
Thank you, that's really informative. So do you think many med students have a car to get to placements etc? What's the parking situation like (for outside houses, med school and placements)? I was thinking of bringing mine but now that's making me reconsider.

Well, as I'm not a Medical student at the moment I can't speak with much authority on the matter with regards to Medicine specific things! However, most of the houses in Jesmond, Heaton and Sandyford are eligible for parking permits. They cost £25 for the first vehicle and £75 for a second. (You can only have two permits.) There's a full listing of what streets and addresses are eligible for permits here: https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Permit%20schemes%20-%20Eligible%20Properties%20and%20zones%2026.09.19.pdf. Note a different, more expensive, scheme runs for city centre houses with full details available here: https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/parking-roads-and-transport/parking-permits/city-centre-resident-permits.

Most Purpose-Built Student Accommodation won't have parking, and won't be eligible for permits. It should also be noted that Jesmond, Heaton and Sandyford streets can get busy, so you won't have a guarantee of being able to park close to your door.

There is no parking available at the Medical School for students unless you are a Blue Badge holder. Or, in fact, anywhere on campus. I would discourage strongly you taking a car into the city centre. Parking is difficult and can be expensive. If you want to live further out, the Metro has a few stations with park and ride facilities which are vastly preferable to driving in. Bus coverage is good, though be warned that season tickets covering more than just one company aren't cheap.

I have friends on the undergrad course who do not own cars (they aren't eligible for a licence in fact), and they get on OK. I believe the Med School takes into account whether you have a car when they are placing you so do be aware that having a car might get you put into some further afield places. Public Transport to most hospitals is good (varying between regular bus connections and/or nearby Metro stops through to a full blown train station outside). For GPs it's much more variable, with often patchy bus service.
Original post by tecwhizz
Well, as I'm not a Medical student at the moment I can't speak with much authority on the matter with regards to Medicine specific things! However, most of the houses in Jesmond, Heaton and Sandyford are eligible for parking permits. They cost £25 for the first vehicle and £75 for a second. (You can only have two permits.) There's a full listing of what streets and addresses are eligible for permits here: https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Permit%20schemes%20-%20Eligible%20Properties%20and%20zones%2026.09.19.pdf. Note a different, more expensive, scheme runs for city centre houses with full details available here: https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/parking-roads-and-transport/parking-permits/city-centre-resident-permits.

Most Purpose-Built Student Accommodation won't have parking, and won't be eligible for permits. It should also be noted that Jesmond, Heaton and Sandyford streets can get busy, so you won't have a guarantee of being able to park close to your door.

There is no parking available at the Medical School for students unless you are a Blue Badge holder. Or, in fact, anywhere on campus. I would discourage strongly you taking a car into the city centre. Parking is difficult and can be expensive. If you want to live further out, the Metro has a few stations with park and ride facilities which are vastly preferable to driving in. Bus coverage is good, though be warned that season tickets covering more than just one company aren't cheap.

I have friends on the undergrad course who do not own cars (they aren't eligible for a licence in fact), and they get on OK. I believe the Med School takes into account whether you have a car when they are placing you so do be aware that having a car might get you put into some further afield places. Public Transport to most hospitals is good (varying between regular bus connections and/or nearby Metro stops through to a full blown train station outside). For GPs it's much more variable, with often patchy bus service.

Wow thanks so much for all the info, that's so helpful! Sorry I assumed you were because you mentioned the distance from your house to the med school. Congrats on your offer though, maybe see you there in September!
Original post by Marni_
Wow thanks so much for all the info, that's so helpful! Sorry I assumed you were because you mentioned the distance from your house to the med school. Congrats on your offer though, maybe see you there in September!

No bother! I'm a regular at the Med School for evening programming stints as it's one of the quieter places to study at night as the rest of the Uni doesn't realise it's there! The library there is very good.

Thanks, and indeed!
Reply 48
Does anyone know if Newcastle will do an offer holder day just for medics as I want to find out more about the medical school itself. How do offer holder days work? Are they for all students or do different subject/subject department hold different offer days?
Reply 49
Original post by Gia007
Does anyone know if Newcastle will do an offer holder day just for medics as I want to find out more about the medical school itself. How do offer holder days work? Are they for all students or do different subject/subject department hold different offer days?

I think on their website it says there will be one in April, but doesn’t give a specific date
Reply 50
A100 here. Thinking of firming Newcastle so will hopefully see you all in September🤞🏼
Reply 51
Original post by cid2002
I think on their website it says there will be one in April, but doesn’t give a specific date

April one seems to be for everyone... hopefully they offer a tour of the med school as well
Original post by Gia007
April one seems to be for everyone... hopefully they offer a tour of the med school as well

They offered this before/after interview?
I’m having a bit of trouble as I currently have a car that’s almost 2 years into PCP however would like to live in halls for the first year at least - I know there’s not much point in having a car given that Newcastle city centre is so easily walkable (+ the metro) but I can’t do anything about the car except leave it at home, which would be a pain coz it’s so useful for getting to and from my home town
Original post by JakeyLank
I’m having a bit of trouble as I currently have a car that’s almost 2 years into PCP however would like to live in halls for the first year at least - I know there’s not much point in having a car given that Newcastle city centre is so easily walkable (+ the metro) but I can’t do anything about the car except leave it at home, which would be a pain coz it’s so useful for getting to and from my home town

Well some of the accommodation has parking available- some free, some for an additional charge. All info on this can be found on the uni website: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/current-students/parkingandtravel/car-parking/
I don't know if this is what you're asking?
Original post by nicole3315nicole
Well some of the accommodation has parking available- some free, some for an additional charge. All info on this can be found on the uni website: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/current-students/parkingandtravel/car-parking/
I don't know if this is what you're asking?

Yeah I ended up having a gander, although I’m again unsure as to which accommodation a graduate medical student would be eligible for. Does anyone have any info on this as I can’t seem to find any online?
Hi does anyone know when we will receive the forms it says to fill out? I’m assuming we will get them in an email directly from the uni or via post
Did you guys receive an email from the university confirming anything yet? my track updated with the offer yesterday but I haven't received anything from Newcastle, guessing something will be sent out in due course?
Original post by LeapFrog02
Did you guys receive an email from the university confirming anything yet? my track updated with the offer yesterday but I haven't received anything from Newcastle, guessing something will be sent out in due course?

I think a day after my offer I got a we offered you a place email that basically said other stuff would be sent out later
Original post by DGeorge13
I think a day after my offer I got a we offered you a place email that basically said other stuff would be sent out later

Ditto, don't worry @LeapFrog02 - I spent all night convinced it was a glitch/mistake bc I hadnt heard anything from Newcastle then had an email the next day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending