The Student Room Group

Is it possible to go from a grade 4 to a 7 or higher in GCSE Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ja78975
Thanks! this will help

It has links to videos explaining each topic. Get past papers from school as well.
Original post by Muttley79
It has links to videos explaining each topic. Get past papers from school as well.

will do, thanks again!
Original post by ibby68
Yes its easier than you think. I can help if your doing edexcel..

I’m doing edexcel. My target grade is a 6. But I’m only achieving 4s.
Reply 23
Original post by sddmo
I went to a 7 from a 4, just tried v hard and sacrificed a few grades in my other exams too though unfortunately but it was worth it
PAST PAPERS SAVED ME

Your right, pastpapers got me from a 6 to a 9...

I did about 55 pastpapers for Maths :wink:
Original post by 999QR

I did about 55 past papers for Maths :wink:

You went from a 6 to a 9 through literally using past papers? 😮
past paper seems to be the one. What about for someone who hasn't learnt all the content in the H spec yet? do you still recommend taking past papers? taking into account the very little time I have to prepare.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 999QR

I did about 55 pastpapers for Maths :wink:

how were you able to access so much past papers?
Original post by Ja78975
Do you want to join a group chat where we can help each other out along with other students?

Yes please
Original post by username4613962
Yes its easier than you think. I can help if your doing edexcel..

please can you help me im doing edexcel im going to year 11 after the summer ends and i am like doing so bad im like on grade 4 level or even 3
Please, please, please can you help me? I am doing Edexcel Maths Higher and I am like at grade 3 level or something, like so bad. I am going to year 11 after the Summer holidays end, do you think I'll be able to improve so much so from a grade 3ish to grade 7 if the year 11 mocks are in November 2023? It's not that I an unable student (I just got my triple science biology results on the 24th as I did them in year 10 and I got 2 marks from a 7 so I am getting that remarked- so very disappointed) I just moved schools and am very behind in Maths and lacked support (I also find it extremely challenging to study effectively in general).

Thanks anyway!
i got an A* this june for higher math edexcel so i can help you out.

so basically u gotta treat these past papers like a game. set ur timer for the allocated time mentioned on the paper and start doing the questions. when ur doing past papers, dont worry too much abt rechecking BUT make sure u do it for ur mocks and boards!!! stop the timer once ur done. i like finishing exactly 15 mins b4 the allocated time cuz it gives u time to recheck/ redo qs. if u go over the time, its okayyy it just shows u how much more u need to improve and with practice you'll be fine. now when ur attempting these past papers make sure ur doing the whole paper in ur notebook or smtg and thenn u need to check ur ans all together (basically dont do it one by one). now as ur checking ur answers, if u got somehting wrong, redo it. if ur still not getting it, try to figure out why: is it cuz it was just hard? was it cuz it involved any formulas/methods u werent familiar with? accordingly, work on those weak points by doing chapterwise qs. u have sm time so with consistent practice, im sure youll be fine. (also doing past papers just gives u an idea on common qs so yk where to focus on)

now for ur boards/mocks pls pls pls recheck ur paper. u gotta do that by doing the same q in a different method, substituting values to see if they add up etc.

also i had these bulletpoints on my notes app with imp formulas and rules and stuff like that cuz maths isnt something that u need to memorise a lot for but because of that i think we tend to leave stuff out.

our textbooks have easier qs than past papers so take them srsly. try makig urself do math like 4 times a day for like 45 mins (maybe get tuitions as the teachers would be able to support you with diff ways to look at a q, etc)
also ask help from teachers, friends etc.

good luck
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Please, please, please can you help me? I am doing Edexcel Maths Higher and I am like at grade 3 level or something, like so bad. I am going to year 11 after the Summer holidays end, do you think I'll be able to improve so much so from a grade 3ish to grade 7 if the year 11 mocks are in November 2023? It's not that I an unable student (I just got my triple science biology results on the 24th as I did them in year 10 and I got 2 marks from a 7 so I am getting that remarked- so very disappointed) I just moved schools and am very behind in Maths and lacked support (I also find it extremely challenging to study effectively in general).

Thanks anyway!

My advice would be practice, practice, practice. The more maths you do the better. I would recommend Corbett maths 5-a-day. It's really good for general practice and keeping on top of everything if you don't have time to do an entire paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending