The Student Room Group

Best Geotechnical Engineering MSc in United Kingdom ?

Which university has the best course ? and which of these has the best reputation (please rate them all)..please help me to select the degree out of these which will help me most in securing post study work !

Imperial College (soil mechanics MSc) - Bit expensive compared to others and I am not sure whether they`ll offer me a place

University of Birmingham
University of Leeds
University of Surrey (offer received)
University of Dundee
University of Nottingham
University of Exeter
University of Portsmouth

Related degrees
University of Cardiff ( MSc in applied geololy and environmental science) - and they have a 5 month placement (will it be helpful ?)
University of Warwick (Tunnel Engineering)

BTW I am an international student with BSc.(hons) in Geology(University of Plymouth) and a MSc in Engineering Geology + 5 years of work experience as a Geotechnial Engineer in Sri Lanka (0 years of UK experience!)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Rameshrajie
Which university has the best course ? and which of these has the best reputation (please rate them all)..please help me to select the degree out of these which will help me most in securing post study work !

Imperial College (soil mechanics MSc) - Bit expensive compared to others and I am not sure whether they`ll offer me a place

University of Birmingham
University of Leeds
University of Surrey (offer received)
University of Dundee
University of Nottingham
University of Exeter
University of Portsmouth

Related degrees
University of Cardiff ( MSc in applied geololy and environmental science) - and they have a 5 month placement (will it be helpful ?)
University of Warwick (Tunnel Engineering)

BTW I am an international student with BSc.(hons) in Geology(University of Plymouth) and a MSc in Engineering Geology + 5 years of work experience as a Geotechnial Engineer in Sri Lanka (0 years of UK experience!)

Hi!! I already applied for
Imperial College London (Soil Mechanics MSc),
University of Warwick (Tunnelling and Underground Space MSc),
University of Birmingham (Geotechnical Engineering MSc),
University of Leeds (Geotechnical Engineering MSc),
and University of Exeter (Geotechnical Engineering MSc)

However, I am an international student as well....
Reply 2
Im an international student BEng Civil Eng (Swansea) and applied for Msc Geotechnical Eng in

Leeds
Soton
Birmingham
Newcastle
Imperial

The last two were highly recommended by my professors and tutor.

I havent heard anything back yet but it has only been 3 weeks since I applied.
Reply 3
Original post by hgeo999
Im an international student BEng Civil Eng (Swansea) and applied for Msc Geotechnical Eng in

Leeds
Soton
Birmingham
Newcastle
Imperial

The last two were highly recommended by my professors and tutor.

I havent heard anything back yet but it has only been 3 weeks since I applied.

ICL is on top without a doubt.
But I have a question.... actually my condition is to emphasize in Tunnel or underground construction.

Are Exeter’s modules of MSc geotechnical engineering really famous in UK ? any suggestions?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Not entirely sure about Exeter's reputation but if tunnel and underground construction are your thing, look at the course modules and see which ones work for you. Each uni focuses on different things sometimes. But all in all Geotech covers tunnel and underground construction overall anyway, at least theoretically.

Leeds has a programme MSc Transport Infrastucture if that is something you're willing to explore
Reply 5
as I am an international student from Thailand. I got an advice from my senior who graduated MSc geotechnical eng from newcastle and PhD from bristol that Exeter’s tunnelling course is the best in UK. That is what he said and that is why I am trying to find more information about it in this thread. Can anyone help me confirm this? btw I am also waiting for ICL offer and it is now on week 9 of waiting...
(edited 4 years ago)
I received offers from Exeter and leedsI know imperial is world class but how about leeds ? How is it compared to Newcastle ?
How do

Original post by hgeo999
Not entirely sure about Exeter's reputation but if tunnel and underground construction are your thing, look at the course modules and see which ones work for you. Each uni focuses on different things sometimes. But all in all Geotech covers tunnel and underground construction overall anyway, at least theoretically.

Leeds has a programme MSc Transport Infrastucture if that is something you're willing to explore
Reply 8
I received offers from Exeter and leedsI know imperial is world class but how about leeds ? How is it compared to Newcastle ?

Congrats! How long did you wait on a Leeds offer?
Original post by hgeo999
Congrats! How long did you wait on a Leeds offer?

It took me about 5 weeks. Do you have any idea about its reputation ? Specially compared to new castle, exter and Birmingham ?
Original post by armerity
as I am an international student from Thailand. I got an advice from my senior who graduated MSc geotechnical eng from newcastle and PhD from bristol that Exeter’s tunnelling course is the best in UK. That is what he said and that is why I am trying to find more information about it in this thread. Can anyone help me confirm this? btw I am also waiting for ICL offer and it is now on week 9 of waiting...

Hi! which course did you settle for in the end? Also, is Exeter still offering that course as I can't find it on their website anymore :/
Original post by allyxanderz
Hi! which course did you settle for in the end? Also, is Exeter still offering that course as I can't find it on their website anymore :/

Hi I just finished the Geotech MSc at Leeds (well, the thesis is yet to submit). I am an international student but I still managed to get a job even before I got graduated. And I had offers from 2 more companies

I would recommend you Leeds or Birmingham. There is a massive shortage of geotech engineers in North (Manchester/Leeds/Birmingham area). My office (which is one of the best for geotech design) is full of Leeds graduates
Reply 12
Hi I just finished the Geotech MSc at Leeds (well, the thesis is yet to submit). I am an international student but I still managed to get a job even before I got graduated. And I had offers from 2 more companies

I would recommend you Leeds or Birmingham. There is a massive shortage of geotech engineers in North (Manchester/Leeds/Birmingham area). My office (which is one of the best for geotech design) is full of Leeds graduates

Hi,
If you dont mind, would u share your email so that I can ask u more regarding securing jobs in geotechnical area before u graduated? Im currently studying MSc in one of Uni in the UK and is now looking to get a job once I finish my master next year. Thanks in advance.
Original post by annsbila
Hi,
If you dont mind, would u share your email so that I can ask u more regarding securing jobs in geotechnical area before u graduated? Im currently studying MSc in one of Uni in the UK and is now looking to get a job once I finish my master next year. Thanks in advance.

I messaged it
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply