The Student Room Group

Should England leave the UK?

Hey guys I'm half English and proud and I love England, I also love my other two countries but I was born and I live in England and I wanna be close to my English family and black family who live here too. Hopefully I will be able to go on holidays to visit my family who live abroad and stay in contact with all of my fam

My question is should England leave the UK, what are the pros and cons? Personally I think we could do it if we wanted to and it could work with the right leader

Scroll to see replies

No.
We could certainly do it we're the 8th largest economy in the world and Im not sure of all of the cons but I agree with the right leader it could be better than UK performance
Original post by Treetop321
No.

Why?
Original post by SavageRyan
We could certainly do it we're the 8th largest economy in the world and Im not sure of all of the cons but I agree with the right leader it could be better than UK performance

We just need a decent petition and then a majority
Reply 5
As a Scottish born man who has lived in Yorkshire since the age of 2 I consider our great United Kingdom to be my country, not just one part of it.

On the basis that I consider separatism to be tantamount to treason I naturally oppose the idea as do millions of our fellow people.
England basically is the the UK. Hence why there is nationalist movements in the none-england parts of the UK.
Reply 7
Original post by Mixedraceguy
We just need a decent petition and then a majority

And for the Conservative and Unionist Party to disband?
Yes. Then my home could have Jerusalem as it's national anthem.
Are there disadvantages to the United Kingdom?
I dont think that would be right

Wtf? Scotland isn’t nearly the 8th largest economy. Not even close.
Reply 12
Original post by Maximus 190

Scotland isnt the subject of the thread you know....
Original post by Quady
Scotland isnt the subject of the thread you know....

Oh yeah. Well England isn’t going to be 8th if we left
Oh yeah. Well England isn’t going to be 8th if we left

UK GDP is about $2.8tn, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish GDP is a little over $300bn so yeah although independence would be terrible thing psychologically and damaging to society at large, England would continue to power ahead.

England is, the subject is england separating from the uk and I don't see why that's a bad idea
Original post by Rakas21
UK GDP is about $2.8tn, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish GDP is a little over $300bn so yeah although independence would be terrible thing psychologically and damaging to society at large, England would continue to power ahead.

What would make it damaging to society?
What would make it damaging to society?

Losing land, territory, resources, people plus the psychological impact. It would be like losing a finger. You can live without it but you'll always feel something is missing.

Not to mention that we are one nation despite what separatists like to think.
Original post by Rakas21
Losing land, territory, resources, people plus the psychological impact. It would be like losing a finger. You can live without it but you'll always feel something is missing.

Not to mention that we are one nation despite what separatists like to think.

We would only lose like 8 million people but yh sure for some people it might feel like a blow

But do we actually need Scotland and Wales and Northern island even
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Burton Bridge
I dont think that would be right

Why?
Original post by Quady
And for the Conservative and Unionist Party to disband?

Pretty much I think
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Yes. Then my home could have Jerusalem as it's national anthem.

Seriously?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending