The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Just got an offer.
Reply 81
Question for everyone: why did you choose this program? (was it because it's barts, cause of malta, etc)
Original post by pbgstl
Question for everyone: why did you choose this program? (was it because it's barts, cause of malta, etc)

I am UK national but living abroad, classified as international student. Studying in UK will be prohibitively expensive, so I am applying to Barts Malta and University of Nicosia Med School. Can't decide between the two.
Reply 83
Original post by Maltese Falcon
I am UK national but living abroad, classified as international student. Studying in UK will be prohibitively expensive, so I am applying to Barts Malta and University of Nicosia Med School. Can't decide between the two.

Isn't the MBBS degree in Uni of Nicosia 6 years?
Original post by RaabM
Isn't the MBBS degree in Uni of Nicosia 6 years?

Yes, it's a 6 year MD. You are also awarded BSc Med Sci. (earns you points in applying to Foundation posts, like an intercalated degree would). UNIC med school is in a proper campus / city, whilst the QMUL experience seems so disjointed (isolated living away from campus on the sister island - Gozo - of Malta, where community placements are (travel takes 3 to 4 hours each way)). UNIC also offers the opportunity of 2 years clinical training in the UK leading to full (not provisional) registration with GMC. On the other hand, Barts Malta offers QMUL degree and a straight (not indirect) path to qualifying as a doctor in the UK, plus it will cost less as it takes 5 years. As I said, I can't decide between the two, though I am leaning in favor of Barts Malta
Reply 85
Does anyone know if there are any scholarships available for MBBS Malta?
Original post by RaabM
Does anyone know if there are any scholarships available for MBBS Malta?

I believe there are none
Reply 87
I believe there are none

I have a friend of mine who applied to QMUL Malta in 2018 and he applied for a 50% scholarship and received it but didn't end up going. He told me you only receive the scholarship email once an offer is given. But I received an offer but no such email was given to me. So I'm confused
In 2017 and 2018, the fee was €35,000 so everyone would receive a €15,000 scholarship. They did away with that sham last year, reducing fee to €19,500 with no scholarship (increased this year to €20,500 with no scholarship). On a separate note, have you already done the UCAT or is your offer conditional on UCAT?
Reply 89
In 2017 and 2018, the fee was €35,000 so everyone would receive a €15,000 scholarship. They did away with that sham last year, reducing fee to €19,500 with no scholarship (increased this year to €20,500 with no scholarship). On a separate note, have you already done the UCAT or is your offer conditional on UCAT?

I've already given my UCAT thankfully.
I just need to get a 2:1 degree classification for my conditional offer.
Reply 90
I'vd been reading some threads from previous years where some people said the malta course was a lot worse than the london one, and that it is not worth it to go there. However, it' been 2 years since that and I think things have improved. I visited the campus about a month ago and everything looks very new and great. I also talked to some professors and some even said that they believe the education is better in malta than london since smaller classes mean students get to do more. At the hospital there's also a greater opportunity to actually do things rather than just watch.
My main concern rn is about the GMC, but I doubt it will be a problem. Does anyone know what would happen if the GMC didnt approve of the course? would malta students be able to finish the course in london?

I'd like to know your opinions on these things:smile:
Got an offer and I'm inclined to accept but I'd like to have as much info as possible
Reply 91
Original post by pbgstl
I'vd been reading some threads from previous years where some people said the malta course was a lot worse than the london one, and that it is not worth it to go there. However, it' been 2 years since that and I think things have improved. I visited the campus about a month ago and everything looks very new and great. I also talked to some professors and some even said that they believe the education is better in malta than london since smaller classes mean students get to do more. At the hospital there's also a greater opportunity to actually do things rather than just watch.
My main concern rn is about the GMC, but I doubt it will be a problem. Does anyone know what would happen if the GMC didnt approve of the course? would malta students be able to finish the course in london?

I'd like to know your opinions on these things:smile:
Got an offer and I'm inclined to accept but I'd like to have as much info as possible

When I asked them they had said we sold get a degree from QMUL London. They also said it will surely get GMC approved, and not to worry about it.
Reply 92
who's thinking of accepting their offer?
Reply 93
Original post by pbgstl
who's thinking of accepting their offer?

I'm still waiting on another interview. I have it on the 11th of March. Do you think they'll extend the deadline for accepting the offer for a few weeks? Currently they gave me till 31st March but I think I'll need another week or two.
Original post by Halal69
I'm still waiting on another interview. I have it on the 11th of March. Do you think they'll extend the deadline for accepting the offer for a few weeks? Currently they gave me till 31st March but I think I'll need another week or two.

I hope they do as I'm waiting on 2 interview decisions and I've yet to complete 1 interview (is your interview on the 11th at QUB by any chance? Mine is on the same day as yours)
Reply 95
Original post by theuglypanda
I hope they do as I'm waiting on 2 interview decisions and I've yet to complete 1 interview (is your interview on the 11th at QUB by any chance? Mine is on the same day as yours)

Hey yeah it is! Where else have you given interviews?
Original post by Halal69
Hey yeah it is! Where else have you given interviews?

Imperial and Lancaster (10th and 12th Feb respectively). Did you get any apart from QUB?
Reply 97
Original post by theuglypanda
Imperial and Lancaster (10th and 12th Feb respectively). Did you get any apart from QUB?

That's really nice! I got an offer from UClan and Malta so far. Hopefully QUB interview goes well. My BMAT didn't go too well so lost 2 of my choices there.
Original post by Halal69
That's really nice! I got an offer from UClan and Malta so far. Hopefully QUB interview goes well. My BMAT didn't go too well so lost 2 of my choices there.

Between QMUL Malta and UNIC, which one would you choose? I am facing that choice and am leaning in favour of Malta
Reply 99
Between QMUL Malta and UNIC, which one would you choose? I am facing that choice and am leaning in favour of Malta

I don't know tbh. I didn't do too much research on UNIC. But Malta doesn't seem too bad for an international campus.

Latest

Trending

Trending