The Student Room Group

Legal Self Defence Options

I am moving to a rough area and due to my working hours and lifestyle the easiest time for me to get a walk in as exercise is in the evening, usually when it is dark. I have heard from someone else that lived in this area that once two people tried to mug him. I have also lived in a rough area before and was once asked for a fight just for walking past a group of yobs.

I know the UK has pretty much zero tolerence in carrying anything for self defence and I'm not going to argue with that as that is a debate for another day.

I know "better to run away" or avoid going out altogether but if I do then my only idea is to take a bright torch with a strobe setting and buy some gloves to protect my hands in case I ever get attacked and can't run. I know that hard knuckled gloves or MMA gloves aren't an option but what about the following below which I have saw online:

Cut proof gloves laced with steel wire
Kevlar gloves
Kevlar cut proof sleeves
Stab proof vest

Do you think that the police would argue that having any of these in public is an offence? Would they argue that steel laced cut-proof gloves are an offensive weapon or that kevlar sleeves are not neccessary? Or if anyone else has any other ideas let me know
Original post by alex282
I am moving to a rough area and due to my working hours and lifestyle the easiest time for me to get a walk in as exercise is in the evening, usually when it is dark. I have heard from someone else that lived in this area that once two people tried to mug him. I have also lived in a rough area before and was once asked for a fight just for walking past a group of yobs.

I know the UK has pretty much zero tolerence in carrying anything for self defence and I'm not going to argue with that as that is a debate for another day.

I know "better to run away" or avoid going out altogether but if I do then my only idea is to take a bright torch with a strobe setting and buy some gloves to protect my hands in case I ever get attacked and can't run. I know that hard knuckled gloves or MMA gloves aren't an option but what about the following below which I have saw online:

Kevlar gloves
Kevlar cut proof sleeves
Stab proof vest

Do you think that the police would argue that having any of these in public is an offence? Would they argue that steel laced cut-proof gloves are an offensive weapon or that kevlar sleeves are not neccessary? Or if anyone else has any other ideas let me know

If you can't hurt someone with something then it's fine.

Trouble with this country is all the bleeding heart liberals, and bent lawyers, care far more about the rights of criminals than the rights of decent folk to defend themselves.
Reply 2
Original post by David Getling
If you can't hurt someone with something then it's fine.

Trouble with this country is all the bleeding heart liberals, and bent lawyers, care far more about the rights of criminals than the rights of decent folk to defend themselves.

Some of the laws are so open to interpretation that you never know where you stand sometimes. If the police and prosecution are having a quiet month then I wouldn't be surprised if they argued something like cut proof gloves are unneccesary and intended to hurt someone.

I suppose on one side we have good people that should have right to defend themselves, and on the other we don't want people walking around with weapons as there's no way to tell whether they are are the one that is out to mug someone or the one that just wants to exercise without being attacked for their phone or wallet
vests can get quite uncomfortable, quite quickly. Also, decent ones can cost quite a lot of cash. I don't think it's a legal issue as much as a lractical one. Also, you shouldnt really need it unless you plan on coming into contact with local gang crime.
Original post by alex282

Kevlar gloves
Kevlar cut proof sleeves
Stab proof vest

Get some of that UK grade paper spray online if your in the USA Taser
Original post by Here2HelpUrun
Get some of that UK grade paper spray online if your in the USA Taser

There is no ''uk grade'' for that stuff. It's either illegal, or it doesn't work.

Tasers are illegal in the UK. Even If it's not carried in public and it's never used, you can still end up in prison for it. Let alone if some moron tries to use it on somebody.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Stupidity is deliberately putting yourself at risk in areas known to be dodgy.

Go to a ****ing gym you moron.

Going out for a walk isn't stupidity. I go to a gym and could easily lift more weights than you.
Reply 7
Original post by alex282
Going out for a walk isn't stupidity. I go to a gym and could easily lift more weights than you.

Knowingly putting yourself at risk is the dictionary definition of stupidity.

And ducks' quacks don't echo.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
Knowingly putting yourself at risk is the dictionary definition of stupidity.

And ducks' quacks don't echo.

I can squat 120kg or 130kg and bench press 80kg x5.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Go to a ****ing gym you moron.

That didn't stop professional boxer Kell Brook being stabbed on 2 separate occasions...
Original post by alex282
I can squat 120kg or 130kg and bench press 80kg x5.

I can say the alphabet backwards.

See, I can post random, meaningless facts too...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending