The Student Room Group

Prince William furious over ‘all-white Bafta nominations’

PRINCE WILLIAM is reported to be furious about the lack of racial diversity at tonight's Bafta awards, leading organisers fearing he could raise the issue in his speech, according to reports.

The Bafta’s are due to be hosted by Graham Norton in London’s Royal Albert Hall. However according to the Sun on Sunday Prince William has raised the lack of racial diversity with Bafta chief executive Amanda Berry.

The paper also reports the Prince could reference this in his speech at the event in a move which could embarrass organisers.

There is an absence of ethnic minority nominations for leading actress, leading actor, supporting actress and supporting actor.

Speaking to the Sun on Sunday royal sources said Prince William is deeply concerned.

One commented: “He supports Bafta but is concerned and disappointed.

“He recognises there is so much talent in the industry, so for all the nominations to be white again isn’t good enough.

“It’s not about one year in isolation. It’s about the fact we’re having this conversation every year.

“Something is systematically wrong here."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1236763/Prince-William-news-Duke-of-Cambridge-Bafta-royal-Leonardo-DiCaprio-Joaquin-Phoenix

Scroll to see replies

I'd be very skeptical about believing things from the Scum on Sunday.
"Racist newspaper sensationalises feelings of a man about something inconsequential" - ok?

Here is a great article from that scaremongering newsrag
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/186563/One-in-5-Britons-will-be-ethnics
Well, clearly the judges didn't witness Idris Elba's triumphant performance as Macavity the Mystery Cat.
Reply 4
I don't watch movies so couldn't comment on the scene but Harry is accusing BAFTA of being racist (what's he angry at?) and being racist himself by suggesting they ought to nominate people based on the colour of their skin. There's a contradiction of sorts there somewhere. .
Let’s be brutally honest here. Does anyone outside the media/film world really care about the BAFTAs?

It is sort of a non story really.
Original post by z-hog
I don't watch movies so couldn't comment on the scene but Harry is accusing BAFTA of being racist (what's he angry at?) and being racist himself by suggesting they ought to nominate people based on the colour of their skin. There's a contradiction of sorts there somewhere. .

The BAFTA nominations were the height of silly film academy noncery. Margot Robbie got two nominations in the same category ffs. When a white woman's nominated twice over literally anybody else it's unsurprising such points are raised.

But then we can't expect a lot out of these awarding bodies anyway: Any time you look at the nominations it gets very clear that they only watch about 6 films a year and then call it a day.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
PRINCE WILLIAM is reported to be furious about the lack of racial diversity at tonight's Bafta awards, leading organisers fearing he could raise the issue in his speech, according to reports.

The Bafta’s are due to be hosted by Graham Norton in London’s Royal Albert Hall. However according to the Sun on Sunday Prince William has raised the lack of racial diversity with Bafta chief executive Amanda Berry.

The paper also reports the Prince could reference this in his speech at the event in a move which could embarrass organisers.

There is an absence of ethnic minority nominations for leading actress, leading actor, supporting actress and supporting actor.

Speaking to the Sun on Sunday royal sources said Prince William is deeply concerned.

One commented: “He supports Bafta but is concerned and disappointed.

“He recognises there is so much talent in the industry, so for all the nominations to be white again isn’t good enough.

“It’s not about one year in isolation. It’s about the fact we’re having this conversation every year.

“Something is systematically wrong here."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1236763/Prince-William-news-Duke-of-Cambridge-Bafta-royal-Leonardo-DiCaprio-Joaquin-Phoenix

More virtue signalling. If there was actual evidence that the BAFTA committee were purposefully excluding BME people (which given that last year a Mexican won best director, a black man won best supporting actor, a black man won best screen play, a black actress won the rising star award, Black Panther won best visual effects (and this is all without mentioning BME nominations) I find it hard to believe) then I would see a point. But there isn't.

MAYBE (shock, horror) no BME actor/actress etc. was good enough to be nominated this year?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Retired_Messiah
The BAFTA nominations were the height of silly film academy noncery. Margot Robbie got two nominations in the same category ffs. When a white woman's nominated twice over literally anybody else it's unsurprising such points are raised.

I don't even know who she is but... are you suggesting she was nominated twice because she's white?
Original post by z-hog
I don't even know who she is but... are you suggesting she was nominated twice because she's white?

I'm suggesting that it's easy to see why other people might suggest that. I personally think the bafta committee is just full of dumbasses.
I'm not sure what to think of this. You have a guy who comes from a family where behaviour like the following is not unusual:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-harry-called-a-fellow-soldier-his-little-paki-friend-1299804.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1481148/Prince-Harry-faces-outcry-at-Nazi-outfit.html

criticising the Baftas for not being diverse. I do not approve of quotas but everyone now looks at white people as racists. Every little thing they do is looked at with suspicious eyes. So the lack of diversity can be the result of discrimination. This paranoia is a natural consequence of decades of marginalisation, ostracisation and racism towards others by this race of people. Its a bit of a conundrum. How do you deal with this issue? Do you allow people like William to have a say in this matter? Do you question his motives? Do you support him? Is what he is insinuating correct? This entire affair is so murky.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I'm suggesting that it's easy to see why other people might suggest that. I personally think the bafta committee is just full of dumbasses.

It's easy for people who put everything through a racial lens first and foremost, otherwise it isn't. To me, that's racism.
If more “white” people this year were better then they should be nominated for the awards, as soon as people start saying there should be equal representation then people from all sides are missing out on nomination because of something as trivial as skin colour.
Original post by Pinkisk
I'm not sure what to think of this. You have a guy who comes from a family where behaviour like the following is not unusual:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-harry-called-a-fellow-soldier-his-little-paki-friend-1299804.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1481148/Prince-Harry-faces-outcry-at-Nazi-outfit.html

criticising the Baftas for not being diverse. I do not approve of quotas but everyone now looks at white people as racists. Every little thing they do is looked at with suspicious eyes. So the lack of diversity can be the result of discrimination. This paranoia is a natural consequence of decades of marginalisation, ostracisation and racism towards others by this race of people. Its a bit of a conundrum. How do you deal with this issue? Do you allow people like William to have a say in this matter? Do you question his motives? Do you support him? Is what he is insinuating correct? This entire affair is so murky.

But since there are lots of famous and well-acknowledged black actors and actresses and directors etc, it isn't racism.
The actual answer is, at least in this country, most people in the film industry had rich parents that could afford to set them up in it. Since most black people aren't rich (due to relatively recent migration) they will be under represented. Same is true for any working class group (including white people). All the other claims (racism and discrimination) is bollox and comes from a victim complex.

So the best answer would be to create free drama academies that talented yet poorer people could go to and get trained.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by laurawatt
... something as trivial as skin colour.

Ha, but to Harry that isn't trivial. It's of the utmost importance, by the look of it.
I've been over the baftas since seeing noms that aren't British...what does baftas even stand for at this point..
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
But since there are lots of famous and well-acknowledged black actors and actresses and directors etc, it isn't racism.
The actual answer is, at least in this country, most people in the film industry had rich parents that could afford to set them up in it. Since most black people aren't rich (due to relatively recent migration) they will be under represented. Same is true for any working class group (including white people). All the other claims (racism and discrimination) is bollox and comes from a victim complex.

So the best answer would be to create free drama academies that talented yet poorer people could go to and get trained.

I don’t doubt that there are reasons other than racism causing the disparities. At the same time, I do not doubt for a second that racism contributes significantly to the lack of diversity.
Original post by z-hog

There is a reasonable likelihood that she was, not only because she is white but because she is a woman. I have come across countless feminists in positions of authority that openly admit to discrimination in favour of women. They tend to always discriminate in favour of white women.

I attend the feminist society at my university. There is a girl in it who heads a competition for students at the university on a course outside of the society. She has openly admitted to me that she discriminates in favour of women in the competition. She thinks I’m a feminist like her. She takes her discrimination a lot further too. She bullies and abuses male students that attempt the competition. Those ones she thinks are in with a chance of winning get the most abuse. She does this, I do not doubt, in an effort to make them quit. She is very good at it too. Most wind up quitting. She doesn’t admit to targeting male students but it’s obvious that she does.

Discrimination is real and it’s highly prevalent and it is highly destructive.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Pinkisk
I don’t doubt that there are reasons other than racism causing the disparities. At the same time, I do not doubt for a second that racism contributes significantly to the lack of diversity.

Meh I disagree. Last year there were numerous BME nominees and winners, in fact they were probably over represented. I don't doubt racism exists I just disagree that actors this year were overlooked because of it. The BAFTA committee isn't full of subconsciously racist people
Reply 19
Irrelevant person makes irrelevant statement on irrelevant awards... meh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending