The Student Room Group

Could the U.K ever rejoin the EU?

Would it be possible? Would E.U leaders ever accept Britain re applying?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeesideEwan

Would definitely be possible as many leaders have welcomed, but the EU would accept no negotiation of any rebates..
Yes, in a heartbeat.

I think the most likely thing now is that the EU leaders will try to make it into an integrated federal superstate, but this will fail under pressure from their own populations and from the US and Russia. They will then at last go down a more relaxed genuine loose association path and the UK will join that in some sort of semi-detached way around 2030 or so.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Would definitely be possible as many leaders have welcomed, but the EU would accept no negotiation of any rebates..

Obviously it would be possible, would it be likely however is another question.
As you correctly state we would lose our rebate, we would also have to commit to joining up to Schengen and adopting the Euro.
Those things alone I feel would be enough to stop the likelihood of us rejoining for a fair amount of time, let alone the fact that I believe our independence will be a success.
Britain is like a violinist who has flounced out of a symphony orchestra and ends up busking on the pavement outside.
Original post by the bear
Britain is like a violinist who has flounced out of a symphony orchestra and ends up busking on the pavement outside.

More like Vanessa-Mae, successful and hot.
Original post by the bear

Who doesn't quite know what tune to play and who has been offered a new book of american tunes with titles like "just do as we say" and "give us all your money and you'll be fine" which he is nervously thumbing.
In theory yes but not on the terms we've had - there would be no rebate or opt out from the euro, Schengen etc., which would likely put it beyond the interests of most of the public for a long while - even large portions of the remain campaign were after the status quo we had and not a closer union with the EU
Reply 8

As others have alluded to it is likely that we could rejoin if we chose to albeit as part of the core rather than keeping our detached relationship.

Whether it’s likely is another question and largely depends on a number of factors from our own policy, the EU’s policies, the global backdrop. In theory the majority of today’s europhile youth will reach median electoral age in 15-25 years so if there is a push it is most likely to succeed then however if we have not rejoined by 2040 then it’s unlikely we ever will as that generation becomes old and is replaced by one without the kind of emotional attachment that some of today’s young have.

My own belief is that we probably won’t. The EU is on the course to a more federal future and the UK would never surrender it’s own currency or armed forces.
Reply 9
No, hopefully Italy and Poland will leave soon too
Populism is the way forward
(edited 4 years ago)

The UK will probably never join. We don't subscribe to the authoritarian approach from the EU. Single currency, single bank, single army, single parliament and no sovereignty.
Original post by Rakas21
My own belief is that we probably won’t. The EU is on the course to a more federal future and the UK would never surrender it’s own currency or armed forces.

Apart from Macron and the Commission, very few people in Europe seem to be actually pressing for this now. I feel dubious that the glorious federal superstate has much of a reality future.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Apart from Macron and the Commission, very few people in Europe seem to be actually pressing for this now. I feel dubious that the glorious federal superstate has much of a reality future.

I suspect that people thought the same before 1986 and then again the year before there was an actual single currency.

The EU eventually originating from a collection of about three dozen states means things can’t happen all at once overnight but the direction of movement each year has been clear (even without a treaty over the last decade they still cemented a banking union) and that is even with a dubious UK as a member. Even now they have Balkan States wanting to join and adopting the Euro despite the loss of sovereignty.

Italy (and if polls are to be believed Belgium) may be able to slow further integration after their elections in 2023 and 2024 but with Macron and a new a German europhile in place by 2022 they will seek a new batch of intergration.
Original post by Rakas21
I suspect that people thought the same before 1986 and then again the year before there was an actual single currency.

The EU eventually originating from a collection of about three dozen states means things can’t happen all at once overnight but the direction of movement each year has been clear (even without a treaty over the last decade they still cemented a banking union) and that is even with a dubious UK as a member. Even now they have Balkan States wanting to join and adopting the Euro despite the loss of sovereignty.

Italy (and if polls are to be believed Belgium) may be able to slow further integration after their elections in 2023 and 2024 but with Macron and a new a German europhile in place by 2022 they will seek a new batch of intergration.

Not sure you're picking a good example with the banking union - that was more of a piece with the panic measures after the financial crash and the efforts of the ECB to be a genuine central bank (it still isn't in reality) and not just a tool of German banking policy.

Maybe you're right about the other states, but I see so much resistance from people across Europe to federalism that I really don't think Macron can push it much further without hitting some major brick walls. That's if he lasts himself - he's hardly Mr Populaire at home maintenant.
The answer is yes, however its unlikely, for the next decade or two anyway.
Original post by ColinDent
More like Vanessa-Mae, successful and hot.

Given how overweight and badly dressed the average British person is, any comparison to Vanessa Mae seems comical.
Original post by Kitten in boots
Given how overweight and badly dressed the average British person is, any comparison to Vanessa Mae seems comical.

It was obviously not a comment about singular people, it was about our great country.
Oh no, have I committed sacrilege on here and praised the UK?
Original post by ColinDent
It was obviously not a comment about singular people, it was about our great country.
Oh no, have I committed sacrilege on here and praised the UK?

You racist :tongue::wink::biggrin:
Stay European - the campaign to retain individual EU membership.
https://www.stayeuropean.org/?fbclid=IwAR0cJ-68nXertLe9ucImiFPZ6OE3ZgIBwepgEw4MBhw-f-7bkBS2rpgzGX0

Sounds good. :drool:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Stay European - the campaign to retain individual EU membership.
https://www.stayeuropean.org/?fbclid=IwAR0cJ-68nXertLe9ucImiFPZ6OE3ZgIBwepgEw4MBhw-f-7bkBS2rpgzGX0

Sounds good. :drool:

If not wholly unfeasible.
I may be wrong but I can't see the EU going for this , but if they do then fill your boots.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending