The Student Room Group

Help with what to do next about clearing/ucas extra

ok so:
- my predicted grades are ABC, but i think i can defo get AAB minimum
- ive got 3 rejections (Queen Mary's/Kings/Manchester) and 1 offer from Loughborough, still waiting on Warwick but pretty sure im not getting an offer
- need AAA/AAB for these unis
what should i do next, because im considering either adding Nottingham through UCAS Extra, but that would mean declining my only offer, but they need AAB (achievable imo) plus they have a 75% acceptance rate according to which. Otherwise i could try to apply to Warwick or Notts through clearing but im not sure whats better for me to do.

Help appreciated!
what course i s this for btw?
Original post by shush2011
ok so:
- my predicted grades are ABC, but i think i can defo get AAB minimum
- ive got 3 rejections (Queen Mary's/Kings/Manchester) and 1 offer from Loughborough, still waiting on Warwick but pretty sure im not getting an offer
- need AAA/AAB for these unis
what should i do next, because im considering either adding Nottingham through UCAS Extra, but that would mean declining my only offer, but they need AAB (achievable imo) plus they have a 75% acceptance rate according to which. Otherwise i could try to apply to Warwick or Notts through clearing but im not sure whats better for me to do.

Help appreciated!

What course is this for and what subjects have you taken/predicted for. I am somewhat concerned for you as usually Queen Mary and Kings are more likely to make offers than Warwick. If you apply extra you will be applying with your predicted grades but for clearing you will be based on actual grades. You have also have the option of firming Loughborough and going for another university in adjustment if your grades are better tan their offer. Is there any other universities you might be interested in.
Reply 3
Original post by PrazzPrazz
what course i s this for btw

accounting and finance
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
What course is this for and what subjects have you taken/predicted for. I am somewhat concerned for you as usually Queen Mary and Kings are more likely to make offers than Warwick. If you apply extra you will be applying with your predicted grades but for clearing you will be based on actual grades. You have also have the option of firming Loughborough and going for another university in adjustment if your grades are better tan their offer. Is there any other universities you might be interested in.

its for accounting and finance, im doing econ (A) maths (B) and physics (C), but idk apparently Queens and Kings are getting more picky as of recent, tbh Warwick and Notts are the only unis im really interested in, if i dont get into them this year i'll take a year out. If i apply extra and don't get an offer from Notts could i not just apply through clearing for them again?
If you could tell me the pros and cons of each option (rejecting loughborough & trying for notts through ucas extra/firming loughborough then trying through clearing or adjustment) that would be much appreciated
its for accounting and finance, im doing econ (A) maths (B) and physics (C), but idk apparently Queens and Kings are getting more picky as of recent, tbh Warwick and Notts are the only unis im really interested in, if i dont get into them this year i'll take a year out. If i apply extra and don't get an offer from Notts could i not just apply through clearing for them again?
If you could tell me the pros and cons of each option (rejecting loughborough & trying for notts through ucas extra/firming loughborough then trying through clearing or adjustment) that would be much appreciated

There is no advantage to rejecting Loughborough at this stage. If you get rejected by Warwick which seems likely as they are looking for AAA predictions not ABC, then you just have to accept that you aimed a little too high with your choices. You may feel that you can get AAB but the unis are more likely to believe your school's predicted grades than yours, so I think your best shot at trading up lies in Adjustment. In August, if you perform better than the offer that Loughborough have made you, you will be able to apply to other unis without risking your place

If Warwick and Notts are the only universities you are prepared to go to then it is pointless firming anything else. Like Harrysbar has said I suspect you might be aiming too high and I would accept Loughborough and go through adjustment if your grades are better than they have offered. If you prefer you could take a gap year and apply with your actual grades next year. However there is no guarantee that even if you take a gap year you will get offers from Nottingham or Warwick. There is also no guarantee they will be in clearing or adjustment for this subject. I suspect it isnt so much the ABC that is the problem but the fact you are not predicted an A in Maths as this is often a requirement in most universities for this type of course. I would also look at the possibility of Lancaster in extra/clearing/adjustment as they are an excellent university who generally dont have the same Maths restriction if you really do not fancy Loughborough although I suspect that Loughborough might prove your best option.
It is unlikely that you will improve your predicted grades in 2 subjects. The evidence shows schools overpredict. 75% do not reach their grades whilst less than 10% actually exceed their predictions. Exceeding predictions in 2 subjects is even more unlikely.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/12/08/one-six-a-level-students-predicted-right-grades-teachers/
Reply 8
my school doesn’t overpredict bc it’s a grammar school, they’ve been very stubborn with everyone’s grades. i’ve been getting As and Bs in physics since september but my school said these tests ‘aren’t a good enough indicator of progress’ even though they had said in year 12 they would be used to boost our predicteds. i honestly think i will be able to get AAB as i got almost all 9s at gcse plus my landmark performance so far. tbh if loughborough is the only option i have i would rather take a gap year and reapply with actual grades to warwick and notts
Reply 9
It is unlikely that you will improve your predicted grades in 2 subjects. The evidence shows schools overpredict. 75% do not reach their grades whilst less than 10% actually exceed their predictions. Exceeding predictions in 2 subjects is even more unlikely.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/12/08/one-six-a-level-students-predicted-right-grades-teachers/

econ was the only one who didn’t act stubborn and moved me from a C (end of year12) to an A (start of yr13)
my school doesn’t overpredict bc it’s a grammar school, they’ve been very stubborn with everyone’s grades. i’ve been getting As and Bs in physics since september but my school said these tests ‘aren’t a good enough indicator of progress’ even though they had said in year 12 they would be used to boost our predicteds. i honestly think i will be able to get AAB as i got almost all 9s at gcse plus my landmark performance so far. tbh if loughborough is the only option i have i would rather take a gap year and reapply with actual grades to warwick and notts

I understand what you mean about grammar schools as my son went to one and they don't overpredict so much but at the same time, what have you got to lose by Firming Loughborough? If you do end up with ABC you might prefer to take it rather than face a year of resits, and if you get AAB you will be able to trade up in Adjustment or Clearing. You won't be forced to go to Loughborough whatever happens, it just keeps that option open.

Grammar schools are more likely to overpredict. They want their students in high end universities to be able to sell themselves so make higher predictions to get that. 3/4 of all grades dont get achieved and that includes grammar schools. If you prefer a gap year fine but if you dont meet the required grades especially Maths there is no guarantee you will be accepted next year.
Reply 12
Grammar schools are more likely to overpredict. They want their students in high end universities to be able to sell themselves so make higher predictions to get that. 3/4 of all grades dont get achieved and that includes grammar schools. If you prefer a gap year fine but if you dont meet the required grades especially Maths there is no guarantee you will be accepted next year.

bro no disrespect but i know my school and my teachers better than you will, and i’ve spoken to my teachers who are unwilling to overpredict. if you read what i said about landmarks earlier you would understand my point
Reply 13
Original post by harrysbar
I understand what you mean about grammar schools as my son went to one and they don't overpredict so much but at the same time, what have you got to lose by Firming Loughborough? If you do end up with ABC you might prefer to take it rather than face a year of resits, and if you get AAB you will be able to trade up in Adjustment or Clearing. You won't be forced to go to Loughborough whatever happens, it just keeps that option open.

will Notts and Warwick still have places in adjustment/clearing do you think
bro no disrespect but i know my school and my teachers better than you will, and i’ve spoken to my teachers who are unwilling to overpredict. if you read what i said about landmarks earlier you would understand my point

You have never actually sat an A level so you are not in a position to know what your likely results will be. Your teachers have seen others go through A level so are far better able to judge. If your teachers believe you will achieve higher grades they will predict them. There is absolutely no benefit for teachers to under predict. Getting students into the best university's is in your teacher's and schools best interest. That is why 3/4 get over predicted. Grammar school's in particular sell A level places on how successful they are getting student's into top universities. They do not under predict for that reason. Whatever excuse you try to make your teachers believe those are the grades you will achieve and I believe them with their experience before you who have none. The evidence shows only 9% exceed their predicted grades and you think you are going to achieve in 2 subjects. It is highly unlikely but good luck anyway.
will Notts and Warwick still have places in adjustment/clearing do you think

I don't know for accounting and finance but Notts did have places in Law last year in Adjustment & Clearing for students getting their standard offer (which in the case of Law is AAA).

No one can say for sure which unis will have vacancies this year and for which subjects though
Reply 16
Original post by harrysbar
I don't know for accounting and finance but Notts did have places in Law last year in Adjustment & Clearing for students getting their standard offer (which in the case of Law is AAA).

No one can say for sure which unis will have vacancies this year and for which subjects though

cool no worries, i'm most likely going to firm loughborough now and try to get AAB for Notts then see if they'll accept through clearing/adjustment. thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending