The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford MSc Clinical and Therapeutic Neuroscience Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lpylb4
They disregard the lowest marks? I've never heard of that! Hopefully my uni does that too haha
Wow you have a lot of experience that should help you loads and show your commitment.

Did you apply to other places? I applied to UCL and Kings, but just really want to hear back from this course now even if it is a rejection which I'm sure it will be :')

Yeah I think the “dropping the two lowest marks” is a Brookes thing.

I applied to King’s and got rejected. They say that they didn’t read the letter of reference, and just looked at the transcript. I’m waiting for my marks from last semester to come out. I might apply to UCL (unless the deadline has passed?). Have you heard back from those two?
(edited 4 years ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by neuropathology
they were shortlisting :smile:

Oops, sorry about that!
Reply 42
Original post by QueenBizzle
Yeah I think the “dropping the two lowest marks” is a Brookes thing.

I applied to King’s and got rejected. They say that they didn’t read the letter of reference, and just looked at the transcript. I’m waiting for my marks from last semester to come out. I might apply to UCL (unless the deadline has passed?). Have you heard back from those two?

That's strange they specifically said they didnt look at your references or anything just transcript, I thought they had to look at everything?

I have offers from ucl in clinical and kings in clinical and cognitive at the moment.
Original post by lpylb4
That's strange they specifically said they didnt look at your references or anything just transcript, I thought they had to look at everything?

I have offers from ucl in clinical and kings in clinical and cognitive at the moment.

Yeah they said competition was too fierce and that the grades were the most important factor.

And congrats! That’s amazing! Do you vaguely know what your first choice would be?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 44
Yeah they said competition was too fierce and that the grades was the most important factor.

And congrats! That’s amazing! Do you vaguely know what your first choice would be?

Ah that sucks! What did you apply for at kings?

Pretty sure it will be UCL, it is more expensive but its regarded really well for neuroscience I think.
Original post by lpylb4
Ah that sucks! What did you apply for at kings?

Pretty sure it will be UCL, it is more expensive but its regarded really well for neuroscience I think.

I applied for both Graduate medicine and neuroscience and got rejected by both. Which is pretty fair I think.

Yes I’ve heard the same thing: UCL and king’s are supposed to both be very very good for neuroscience.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 46
I applied for both Graduate medicine and neuroscience and got rejected by both. Which is pretty fair I think.

Yes I’ve heard the same thing: UCL and king’s are supposed to both be very very good for neuroscience.

Wow yeah graduate medicine is really competitive, I guess that's why you wanna do a masters first to make you stand out more.

Yeah they both have big neuroscience departments and have great REFs. I think you can still apply for UCL neuroscience until summer also?
Reply 47
Can I get in with just a BA or BSc in psychology or is work experience required? Would experience obtained during my undergraduate degree count? Not started my undergraduate degree yet but aiming for a strong first-class hopefully from Oxford if my exams go well enough to meet conditions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Can someone call in to ask?
If the department said next week, we should probably just hold tight and not bother them until next week. Last year, applicants got decisions on 6 Feb.
Plus looking at emails from the administrator, her working days are monday-thursday, so I doubt there's anything coming our way today.
Original post by Em.-.
Can I get in with just a BA or BSc in psychology or is work experience required? Would experience obtained during my undergraduate degree count? Not started my undergraduate degree yet but aiming for a strong first-class hopefully from Oxford if my exams go well enough to meet conditions.

I would recommend reading the information on the course website. It says that research experience, such as placement in a professional environment, is well regarded. I'm not sure if there are lots of opportunities for research/internship involvement in UK universities (I go to school in the US) but I would look into programs in neuroscience, neuropsychology, and therapeutics if so.

My personal advice as someone whose ideas of career aspirations changed drastically throughout undergrad -- don't let this goal of entering a specific graduate program hinder you from keeping an open mind during your undergraduate studies. Participate in what interests you and you will be happier in the long run. Personally, I never changed my degree prescription (always neuroscience) but I went from wanting to study visual arts concurrently and going into ergonomics, to diving into molecular neuroscience, to finally adding another major in public health and discovering the field of neuropsychology and consequently falling in love with that. You have time -- take advantage of it!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by kathyidk
I would recommend reading the information on the course website. It says that research experience, such as placement in a professional environment, is well regarded. I'm not sure if there are lots of opportunities for research/internship involvement in UK universities (I go to school in the US) but I would look into programs in neuroscience, neuropsychology, and therapeutics if so.

My personal advice as someone whose ideas of career aspirations changed drastically throughout undergrad -- don't let this goal of entering a specific graduate program hinder you from keeping an open mind during your undergraduate studies. Participate in what interests you and you will be happier in the long run. Personally, I never changed my degree prescription (always neuroscience) but I went from wanting to study visual arts concurrently and going into ergonomics, to diving into molecular neuroscience, to finally adding another major in public health and discovering the field of neuropsychology and consequently falling in love with that. You have time -- take advantage of it!

Neuropsychology is the area I’m most interested in however I will wait to decide once I’m doing my undergraduate degree as something else may interest me more. 🙂
Reply 53
Original post by Em.-.

A few of us, including myself, studied psychology at undergrad, so you'd be totally fine if that's what you wanted to do!

Work/research experience is always encouraged, so it's good to ask your professors and/or careers service at your uni for advice. But if somehow you don't manage to get work experience by your final year (which would be understandable tbh) and you want to jump straight into the MSc, I'm sure your undergrad research projects would count towards research experience, especially if it fits the scope of the course. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Are we meant to hear anything back today?
Reply 55
Original post by palalalalalalK!

Definitely this week I think but hope is today!
Will anyone volunteer to call in today? (or has called in already)
Will anyone volunteer to call in today? (or has called in already)

I’ve already called them several times, and each time they say they’ll get back to us when they’re ready. You’re welcome to call again, but I doubt that it will change anything.

The graduate studies administrator’s working hours are Mon-Thurs 7:30-4 so I think the email would be sent in that time frame. Hopefully this week!
Reply 59
Original post by kathyidk
The graduate studies administrator’s working hours are Mon-Thurs 7:30-4 so I think the email would be sent in that time frame. Hopefully this week!

Not to be today then, let's keep fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending