The Student Room Group

Tuition fees.

If I make an application for a tuition fee loan during the end of July 2019, are you going to have enough time to process it? Is the university going to receive the tuition fees on September/October or no? Is important to make my application on time so they can receive the tuition fees on time.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi John,

Is there a reason that you are not able to make the application for finance until July? For example will you be waiting for ID evidence until then?

We recommend that you apply as early as possible particularly if you are applying as an EU student, Migrant Worker or for supplementary grants.
Applications generally take 6 weeks to be processed once we have all of the documents we need however this can increase during busy or peak periods such as close to September.

Thanks, Tégan
Original post by SFE Tegan
Hi John,

Is there a reason that you are not able to make the application for finance until July? For example will you be waiting for ID evidence until then?

We recommend that you apply as early as possible particularly if you are applying as an EU student, Migrant Worker or for supplementary grants.
Applications generally take 6 weeks to be processed once we have all of the documents we need however this can increase during busy or peak periods such as close to September.

Thanks, Tégan

@SFE Tegan I am waiting for the university to give me a letter as I want to make an application for compelling personal reasons.And then do my application for the tuition fee loan.

What month do you recommend me to apply for the tuition fee loan in order for you to have enough time to process the application?!

I know that it takes 6 weeks for you to process the application for compelling personal reasons. That it's a month and 2 weeks. I was planning to send the documents during March (10th March the latest) and do my application for the tuition fee loan during May (at the end of it as it takes you a month and 2 weeks to process the application) but now I might have to do the application for the tuition fee loan during July as the university does not give me the letter that I want and they told me that they will contact me in a few months.
Original post by john2019
@SFE Tegan I am waiting for the university to give me a letter as I want to make an application for compelling personal reasons.And then do my application for the tuition fee loan.

What month do you recommend me to apply for the tuition fee loan in order for you to have enough time to process the application?!

I know that it takes 6 weeks for you to process the application for compelling personal reasons. That it's a month and 2 weeks. I was planning to send the documents during March (10th March the latest) and do my application for the tuition fee loan during May (at the end of it as it takes you a month and 2 weeks to process the application) but now I might have to do the application for the tuition fee loan during July as the university does not give me the letter that I want and they told me that they will contact me in a few months.

Hi there,

We advise new students to apply for their funding by the end of May normally to ensure funding is in place for starting in September.

Thanks, Erin
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there,

We advise new students to apply for their funding by the end of May normally to ensure funding is in place for starting in September.

Thanks, Erin

Hi, @Erin SFE thanks for your reply. I will try to do my application until May but I don't think that I am going to be able to apply during May. I think that I will apply during July.

1)What would happen if I apply during July?
2)are you not going to pay the university on time?
3) are you going to pay the university? or is there a chance that you are not going to pay it at all?
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, @Erin SFE thanks for your reply. I will try to do my application until May but I don't think that I am going to be able to apply during May. I think that I will apply during July.

1)What would happen if I apply during July?
2)are you not going to pay the university on time?
3) are you going to pay the university? or is there a chance that you are not going to pay it at all?

Hi John,

As this would be after our guideline date for funding to be in place for September we can't guarantee your funding to be in place for you starting. Until we have all your information and evidence we aren't able to assess your application. Once we do receive this we will do our best to approve this for you as quickly as possible.

Thanks, Erin
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi John,

As this would be after our guideline date for funding to be in place for September we can't guarantee your funding to be in place for you starting. Until we have all your information and evidence we aren't able to assess your application. Once we do receive this we will do our best to approve this for you as quickly as possible.

Thanks, Erin

@Erin SFE Okay thanks
@Erin SFE Okay thanks

You're welcome John! Let us know if you require any further advice.

Thanks, Jen
Original post by Jen SFE
You're welcome John! Let us know if you require any further advice.

Thanks, Jen

Hi, @Jen SFE

I want to make an application for compelling personal reasons. I have evidence only for the second semester and not for the first one.

1)Do I need to find evidence for both semesters?
2)if so what kind of evidence?
3)can you accept a letter from the university?(If I manage to get one)
4) Do you know if it is against the data protection act to share my application for extenuating circumstances?(that was for one of my exams during first semester) and if is not against it, can you accept it? Shall I ask the university if I can share it or not?

Actually for the first semester I have a letter from the hospital which was saying that I had to go to the hospital as I was involved in an accident. This was during one of my exams. But how can I prove that? I mean how would you know that, that day I had exams? Shall I download my application for extenuating circumstances and send it to you? But even if I send you my application for extenuating circumstances how would you know that they approved it? And that is only for one exam. Can you accept it?
Is it against the data protection act to send you my application for extenuating circumstances?

What am I supposed to do about the rest of the exams of the first semester? From where can I get a letter for it? (and what kind of letter? My doctor cannot give me another letter. (for the first semester). Shall I get a letter from the university?
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, @Jen SFE

I want to make an application for compelling personal reasons. I have evidence only for the second semester and not for the first one.

1)Do I need to find evidence for both semesters?
2)if so what kind of evidence?
3)can you accept a letter from the university?(If I manage to get one)
4) Do you know if it is against the data protection act to share my application for extenuating circumstances?(that was for one of my exams during first semester) and if is not against it, can you accept it? Shall I ask the university if I can share it or not?

Actually for the first semester I have a letter from the hospital which was saying that I had to go to the hospital as I was involved in an accident. This was during one of my exams. But how can I prove that? I mean how would you know that, that day I had exams? Shall I download my application for extenuating circumstances and send it to you? But even if I send you my application for extenuating circumstances how would you know that they approved it? And that is only for one exam. Can you accept it?
Is it against the data protection act to send you my application for extenuating circumstances?

What am I supposed to do about the rest of the exams of the first semester? From where can I get a letter for it? (and what kind of letter? My doctor cannot give me another letter. (for the first semester). Shall I get a letter from the university?

Hi John, you don’t need to provide evidence for both semesters, however the evidence for Compelling Personal Reasons is assessed on a discretionary basis, so the more evidence you can provide the better and then the assessors can see the full picture. Also, it isn’t against Data Protection for you to share this information with us as it is your information.
Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
- Letter from University on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
- Death Certificate
- A Birth Certificate

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence is:
- Signed and dated
- Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

As long as we can clearly see the impact on your studies and what the situation was at this time then this is something we may be able to accept and look to award a year of funding back. Thanks, Aaron.
Original post by SFE Aaron
Hi John, you don’t need to provide evidence for both semesters, however the evidence for Compelling Personal Reasons is assessed on a discretionary basis, so the more evidence you can provide the better and then the assessors can see the full picture. Also, it isn’t against Data Protection for you to share this information with us as it is your information.
Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
- Letter from University on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
- Death Certificate
- A Birth Certificate

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence is:
- Signed and dated
- Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

As long as we can clearly see the impact on your studies and what the situation was at this time then this is something we may be able to accept and look to award a year of funding back. Thanks, Aaron.

@SFE Aaron okay thank you for your help!!
@SFE Aaron okay thank you for your help!!

You’re welcome John!

Thanks, Aaron.
Original post by SFE Aaron
You’re welcome John!

Thanks, Aaron.

Hi @SFE Aaron,

What are the steps that I have to follow in order to make an application for compelling personal reasons? Do I have to do first my application for compelling personal reasons and then wait for your reply (letter) and then do the application for the loan? or no? If not, please tell me what steps do I have to follow.
Hi @SFE Aaron,

What are the steps that I have to follow in order to make an application for compelling personal reasons? Do I have to do first my application for compelling personal reasons and then wait for your reply (letter) and then do the application for the loan? or no? If not, please tell me what steps do I have to follow.

Hi John, you can find out more information by clicking here. You should apply for finance and then send your CPR afterwards.
Thanks, Isaac.
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi John, you can find out more information by clicking here. You should apply for finance and then send your CPR afterwards.
Thanks, Isaac.

Hi @SFE Isaac Sorry for all these questions but I am so confused. I read the website but nobody mentions if I should send both of them at the same day?! Shall I do that? I am planning to send both of them during March (the first days of March) at the same day. Is that okay?
Hi @SFE Isaac Sorry for all these questions but I am so confused. I read the website but nobody mentions if I should send both of them at the same day?! Shall I do that? I am planning to send both of them during March (the first days of March) at the same day. Is that okay?

Hi John, you can send both together.

The reason we ask for you to apply first is because the CPR can't be accepted/applied to the application if no application exists. So if we received CPR evidence without you applying for the loan, the evidence could be reviewed but the assessor wouldn't be able to apply it.
Thanks, Isaac.
Hi John, you can send both together.

The reason we ask for you to apply first is because the CPR can't be accepted/applied to the application if no application exists. So if we received CPR evidence without you applying for the loan, the evidence could be reviewed but the assessor wouldn't be able to apply it.
Thanks, Isaac.

@SFE Isaac okay thanks!! If I call you and ask if you received my application and my evidence.. are you going to be able to answer my question or no?
@SFE Isaac okay thanks!! If I call you and ask if you received my application and my evidence.. are you going to be able to answer my question or no?

@john2019 If you are applying for the 20/21 academic year then you shouldn't of applied yet as the application hasn't launched.

You can call us on 0300 100 0607 or if you prefer you can message us on Twitter or Facebook and we can check your account to see what we have received. It currently takes 11 working days for our assessors to review new applications.
Thanks, Isaac.
@john2019 If you are applying for the 20/21 academic year then you shouldn't of applied yet as the application hasn't launched.

You can call us on 0300 100 0607 or if you prefer you can message us on Twitter or Facebook and we can check your account to see what we have received. It currently takes 11 working days for our assessors to review new applications.
Thanks, Isaac.

@SFE Isaac I am applying for the 2020/2021 academic year. Is it okay if I apply during March? (the first days of March)? or no? When the applications are going to begin?
And I do have one more enquiry.. If you refuse my application.. How can I appeal?
@SFE Isaac I am applying for the 2020/2021 academic year. Is it okay if I apply during March? (the first days of March)? or no? When the applications are going to begin?
And I do have one more enquiry.. If you refuse my application.. How can I appeal?

The application launches at the end of February. You can apply in March, we advise applying by May in order to receive funding in time. It's better if you apply as early as possible to prevent any delays.

If you are deemed ineligible and you think we have made the wrong decision, you can follow the appeals procedure by clicking here.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending