The Student Room Group

Welcome to the #LaidlawLounge!

Hey everyone! :hi:
Welcome to the Laidlaw Lounge. For prospective and current scholars alike, this is a place to chill, talk about research and generally meet some really cool people!

So What is the Laidlaw Scholarship?
All of the info about the scholarship can be found on this page!
It is essentially a fully funded research/leadership scholarship that takes place over summer, though specifics vary from one university to another.

Can I be a Scholar?
As long as your university offers the programme and you are either a 1st year student on a 3 year degree or a 1st/2nd year student on a 4 year degree, you can apply! There are no requirements for household income or home/away fee status.

I think this is it for now, feel free to enjoy the thread and have some cool discussions! :love:
Original post by barror1
Hey everyone! :hi:
Welcome to the Laidlaw Lounge. For prospective and current scholars alike, this is a place to chill, talk about research and generally meet some really cool people!

So What is the Laidlaw Scholarship?
All of the info about the scholarship can be found on this page!
It is essentially a fully funded research/leadership scholarship that takes place over summer, though specifics vary from one university to another.

Can I be a Scholar?
As long as your university offers the programme and you are either a 1st year student on a 3 year degree or a 1st/2nd year student on a 4 year degree, you can apply! There are no requirements for household income or home/away fee status.

I think this is it for now, feel free to enjoy the thread and have some cool discussions! :love:

Never new about this when i went through Uni.

This looks like an amazing opportunity for freshers who are ambitious to develop some new skills, get something impressive on your CV and potentially even give them an opportunity to do some real research which no doubt would be invaluable on a dissertation, in industry or if any of these applicants ever look onto a PhD etc!

Hopefully some TSR freshers can take advantage of this :beard:
Original post by mnot
Never new about this when i went through Uni.

This looks like an amazing opportunity for freshers who are ambitious to develop some new skills, get something impressive on your CV and potentially even give them an opportunity to do some real research which no doubt would be invaluable on a dissertation, in industry or if any of these applicants ever look onto a PhD etc!

Hopefully some TSR freshers can take advantage of this :beard:

It is honestly so cool! I am applying this year so we'll see how it goes! :woo:
Original post by barror1
It is honestly so cool! I am applying this year so we'll see how it goes! :woo:

Did you get it?
I want to apply this year and the information seems vague. Haven’t really found anything useful to make a strong application
Original post by salviakasana03
Did you get it?
I want to apply this year and the information seems vague. Haven’t really found anything useful to make a strong application

Hey yes I did! Going into my second year as a scholar at York :yes: I assume you will be applying to be a scholar in 2022 since the 2021 scholars have been announced, definitely check your eligibility for the scholarship with your uni before anything else :smile:
My best piece of advice is to not present yourself as the perfect applicant. The whole point of the Scholarship is that you are able to grow as a person during your time on it. Also try and find a 2020/2021 scholar at your uni to walk you through it- depending on your department, there may be some scholars there or there should be a Laidlaw email for each university
The main thing is that you are enthusiastic, willing to learn, and yourself!
Best of luck, if you have any other questions feel free to ask :hugs:
Original post by barror1
Hey yes I did! Going into my second year as a scholar at York :yes: I assume you will be applying to be a scholar in 2022 since the 2021 scholars have been announced, definitely check your eligibility for the scholarship with your uni before anything else :smile:
My best piece of advice is to not present yourself as the perfect applicant. The whole point of the Scholarship is that you are able to grow as a person during your time on it. Also try and find a 2020/2021 scholar at your uni to walk you through it- depending on your department, there may be some scholars there or there should be a Laidlaw email for each university
The main thing is that you are enthusiastic, willing to learn, and yourself!
Best of luck, if you have any other questions feel free to ask :hugs:

Okay thank you so much, yeah I’m starting uni this September at Leeds. I wanted to know how long did you work on your application does it take more than a week?
Okay thank you so much, yeah I’m starting uni this September at Leeds. I wanted to know how long did you work on your application does it take more than a week?

I'm not sure how similar the application process is for Leeds but at York we had to write a research proposal and a personal statement. The personal statement isn't too bad, though if you can get a previous scholar or mentor to look over it that will always help. The thing that *may* take over a week is the research proposal. Because your research needs to be realistic in the timeframe and you need a mentor, I can take a little while longer to get it written to a high standard.
With all of that being said, all universities give students loads of time to apply, so you have time to think about all of this in-depth. :smile:
Original post by barror1
I'm not sure how similar the application process is for Leeds but at York we had to write a research proposal and a personal statement. The personal statement isn't too bad, though if you can get a previous scholar or mentor to look over it that will always help. The thing that *may* take over a week is the research proposal. Because your research needs to be realistic in the timeframe and you need a mentor, I can take a little while longer to get it written to a high standard.
With all of that being said, all universities give students loads of time to apply, so you have time to think about all of this in-depth. :smile:

Okay Thank you for giving me insight on this I thought I’d have to put in an application all by myself
Okay Thank you for giving me insight on this I thought I’d have to put in an application all by myself

No problem! You will need to find a mentor to submit your research anyway so you will probably not have to submit on your own :smile:
Reply 9
hello hello! has anyone here gone for an interview after submitting their application?
Hey has anyone applied this year? Or do any previous scholars have advice for the interview please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending