The Student Room Group

Spain wants to annex Gibraltar

It's pretty petty off Spain to demand Gibraltar when it has been British since 1766.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-trade-talks-eu-to-back-spain-over-gibraltar-claims

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Onde
Maybe they intend to return Ceuta and Melilla at the same time.

XD
I dont think it will happen.
There has been rumblings on this very subject for many years, yet it is still under the uk.
I think that tells us everything we need to know.
Original post by Karisa96
I dont think it will happen.
There has been rumblings on this very subject for many years, yet it is still under the uk.
I think that tells us everything we need to know.

Indeed, Spain will be bought into line soon enough.
Original post by ColinDent

Let's hope so.
Original post by Ferrograd
It's pretty petty off Spain to demand Gibraltar when it has been British since 1766.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-trade-talks-eu-to-back-spain-over-gibraltar-claims

perhaps they have difficulty with the translation of "in perpetuity"
Reply 6
Pfft absolute hypocrites. Look at the conflict between Morocco with Ceuta and Melilla, and they sent armed forces to occupy a random rock so the Moroccans couldn’t have it.
Would be very interesting to see the people of Gibraltars view on this. If my memory serves me correctly they voted heavily to remain. I would think, they would be very happy to have Spain annex them.
Original post by imlikeahermit
Would be very interesting to see the people of Gibraltars view on this. If my memory serves me correctly they voted heavily to remain. I would think, they would be very happy to have Spain annex them.

On your first point yes they did vote heavily to remain, about 96%.
On your second point however, not a fooking chance.
On your first point yes they did vote heavily to remain, about 96%.
On your second point however, not a fooking chance.

Really? Don’t think they’d fancy it? Given that their interests will be heavily in line with Spain’s?

Are you joking? They are very proud of being British
Really? Don’t think they’d fancy it? Given that their interests will be heavily in line with Spain’s?

Gibraltar had their first referendum in 1967 and the pro-Spain movement got all of 44 votes.
In 2002 Gibraltar had its second referendum when Labour tried to betray them and go for joint sovereignty, that got all of 187 votes.
As of 2012 83.2% of people living there were either born there or in the UK, the number of Spanish natives amounts to 2.1%.

More pertinent to this argument though, in October they had their elections and pro-British parties won about 80% of the vote.

Personally i believe that our overseas territories should actually be granted the right to join the United Kingdom proper.

No I don't.
Original post by Ferrograd
Are you joking? They are very proud of being British

But for how long?
Original post by Rakas21
Gibraltar had their first referendum in 1967 and the pro-Spain movement got all of 44 votes.
In 2002 Gibraltar had its second referendum when Labour tried to betray them and go for joint sovereignty, that got all of 187 votes.
As of 2012 83.2% of people living there were either born there or in the UK, the number of Spanish natives amounts to 2.1%.

More pertinent to this argument though, in October they had their elections and pro-British parties won about 80% of the vote.

Personally i believe that our overseas territories should actually be granted the right to join the United Kingdom proper.

That may be the case, but also 96% voted to remain. Back in October, leaving did not seem 100% certain, now it does, perhaps they may be swayed.
No I don't.

Fair enough.
But for how long?

That may be the case, but also 96% voted to remain. Back in October, leaving did not seem 100% certain, now it does, perhaps they may be swayed.

Fair enough.

A few swayed perhaps, to drop from 80% to anywhere near 50%, no.

Are you for real?
Yeah Spain has moaned about this...forever. I doubt the populace would expect to get any better treatment from the Spanish really.
Reply 17
The main problem will likely be the border crossing ,given the lack of space in Gibraltar a large number of individuals, especially younger individuals, live in Spain but work in Gibraltar, border crossing delay issues getting in and out mornings/evenings will likely be the main issue.
But for how long?

Fair enough.

What you are trying to argue for is pure fallacy, it's probably only a fraction more likely than Falkland Islanders voting to become part of Argentina.
Do you know or have you ever spoken to someone from Gibraltar, they have about as much yearning to be part of Spain as Nicola Sturgeon has to be English.
Reply 19

How so?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending