The Student Room Group

GCSE EDEXCEL HISTORY - Cold War - Explain 2 consequences of the Cuban Revolution

Hiii, Does anyone know how much this would score out of 4 marks? Thanks :smile:

Explain 2 consequences of the Cuban Revolution

One direct consequence of the Cuban Revolution was the humiliating American invasion of the Bay of Pigs in April 1961. Following Castro’s overthrowing of Batista, he became increasingly unpopular amongst the Americans. The USA disagreed with Castro taking over American businesses and distributing the land to Cuba’s peasant farmer population and Cuban exiles in America demanded action against Castro. Consequently, action was taken by the USA in the form of the invasion at the Bay of Pigs which acted as an attempt to overthrow the communist government set up by Fidel Castro during the Cuban Revolution.
Reply 1
Original post by SnowDragonFired
Hiii, Does anyone know how much this would score out of 4 marks? Thanks :smile:

Explain 2 consequences of the Cuban Revolution

One direct consequence of the Cuban Revolution was the humiliating American invasion of the Bay of Pigs in April 1961. Following Castro’s overthrowing of Batista, he became increasingly unpopular amongst the Americans. The USA disagreed with Castro taking over American businesses and distributing the land to Cuba’s peasant farmer population and Cuban exiles in America demanded action against Castro. Consequently, action was taken by the USA in the form of the invasion at the Bay of Pigs which acted as an attempt to overthrow the communist government set up by Fidel Castro during the Cuban Revolution.

this is a good answer, but it seems you've repeated the first consequence as the second. If that were to happen in the exam, I can imagine you'd get two marks, one for the consequence (bay of pigs) and the second for the supporting information! there are other points in there that could be used as the second consequence but you might want to rephrase so the examiner knows exactly what you're referring to! if it helps, it might be a good idea to imagine it as a bullet point format:

point 1
supporting info
point 2
supporting info

hope this helps!
Original post by toastt
this is a good answer, but it seems you've repeated the first consequence as the second. If that were to happen in the exam, I can imagine you'd get two marks, one for the consequence (bay of pigs) and the second for the supporting information! there are other points in there that could be used as the second consequence but you might want to rephrase so the examiner knows exactly what you're referring to! if it helps, it might be a good idea to imagine it as a bullet point format:

point 1
supporting info
point 2
supporting info

hope this helps!

Hi thank you so much for your reply! I'm sorry, I probably didn't make this clear but that was only 1 of the 2 points for the 8 marks, so effectively it is out of 4 marks because they are marked as separate chunks. :smile: Would that be 2 /4 then?
Reply 3
Hi thank you so much for your reply! I'm sorry, I probably didn't make this clear but that was only 1 of the 2 points for the 8 marks, so effectively it is out of 4 marks because they are marked as separate chunks. :smile: Would that be 2 /4 then?

Oh! so this is half of an eight marker! For one point, it's certainly in depth enough, and includes enough supporting information, to gain at least 3/4 marks! History mark schemes are very subjective and dependent on how kind your marker is so it's a little hard to tell, but I wouldn't worry so much! You seem to know what you're talking about! sorry for misunderstanding haha
Original post by toastt
Oh! so this is half of an eight marker! For one point, it's certainly in depth enough, and includes enough supporting information, to gain at least 3/4 marks! History mark schemes are very subjective and dependent on how kind your marker is so it's a little hard to tell, but I wouldn't worry so much! You seem to know what you're talking about! sorry for misunderstanding haha

No problem! IKR they are soooo subjective! Do you know what I could do to really push it to getting 4/4? :smile: Thanks so much for your help
Reply 5
No problem! IKR they are soooo subjective! Do you know what I could do to really push it to getting 4/4? :smile: Thanks so much for your help

Maybe just extend the answer a little more, bringing in the fact that the Bay of Pigs was a catastrophic failure and a propaganda failure for the USA. The cold war is very focused on relations and appearance, so it'll probably be worth mentioning how it affected the USA's public image :>
Original post by toastt
Maybe just extend the answer a little more, bringing in the fact that the GreatBay of Pigs was a catastrophic failure and a propaganda failure for the USA. The cold war is very focused on relations and appearance, so it'll probably be worth mentioning how it affected the USA's public image :>

Great! Thanks :smile: Do you happen to also be an expert on the 12 mark explain questions for Weimar Germany (police state)? ahahah
Reply 7
Great! Thanks :smile: Do you happen to also be an expert on the 12 mark explain questions for Weimar Germany (police state)? ahahah

I'm not an EXPERT, but i can certainly do my best to help! I passed history with a grade 8 last summer, so hopefully, it's still fresh in my memory. I might be able to dig up my old books and see if i can find some sample answers maybe?
Original post by toastt
I'm not an EXPERT, but i can certainly do my best to help! I passed history with a grade 8 last summer, so hopefully, it's still fresh in my memory. I might be able to dig up my old books and see if i can find some sample answers maybe?

Sorry for taking so long to reply. That would be amazing, thank you! :smile:
Reply 9
Sorry for taking so long to reply. That would be amazing, thank you! :smile:

Aight, unfortunately, I couldn't find my Weimar Germany book, but I do have my old schoolbooks for Elizabethan, Cold war and Medicine! let me know if any of these are helpful!
Original post by toastt
Aight, unfortunately, I couldn't find my Weimar Germany book, but I do have my old schoolbooks for Elizabethan, Cold war and Medicine! let me know if any of these are helpful!

Sorry I never answered this! Coincidentally i am doing the exact same options for the course so that would be extremely helpful! :smile:
Reply 11
Sorry I never answered this! Coincidentally i am doing the exact same options for the course so that would be extremely helpful! :smile:

Oh nice! Yeah, let me know if there's anything at all you need help with! Medicine was one of my best, but i got a grade 8 in history so i can probably help with a few other things too :>

Quick Reply

Latest