The Student Room Group

UK January 6th warmest on record

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2020-02-03/january-2020-mild-and-dull-5th-warmest-on-record-for-northern-england/

Another rubbish winter, even worse than last year so far, hopefully no ridiculous temps like 21C this month though.

I like Britain, but our winters are so rubbish even Las Vegas seems to get more snow than say London. We had four years without snow from where I was between 2013 and 2017.

Scroll to see replies

Same here in Poland. There used to be lots of snow and -10 to -20 degress celsius in January, and this year there is no snow and temperatures vary from +5 to +15
I don't want snow tbh, i live up an incredibly steep hill and i would rather not need a toboggan to get to uni
i thought it was saying that January 6th was the warmest on record :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Oh, there would have been warmer days during the medieval warming period and it wasn't the end of the world. Bad news for ski resorts though.
Reply 5
Original post by Ferrograd
https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2020-02-03/january-2020-mild-and-dull-5th-warmest-on-record-for-northern-england/

Another rubbish winter, even worse than last year so far, hopefully no ridiculous temps like 21C this month though.

I like Britain, but our winters are so rubbish even Las Vegas seems to get more snow than say London. We had four years without snow from where I was between 2013 and 2017.

i'm happy tbh

i hate the cold. february has been warm so far, lets hope it continues :h:
I miss the snow,especially at Christmas. It is definitely milder these days.
The UK is lucky it is so far North as it wont suffer drought and will just have warmer weather.
The real people to suffer are those countries that were already challenged on having enough water and high temps.
Serious implications for them, but I dont think the unaffected care.
Original post by z-hog
Oh, there would have been warmer days during the medieval warming period and it wasn't the end of the world. Bad news for ski resorts though.

I don't doubt it, 1916 was far warmer but I'm just complaining about a general lack of snow and cold weather
Original post by PTMalewski
Same here in Poland. There used to be lots of snow and -10 to -20 degress celsius in January, and this year there is no snow and temperatures vary from +5 to +15

I have seen snow forecasted for lots of poland actually, Warsaw and Krakow although the former is mixed with rain
Original post by 999tigger
The UK is lucky it is so far North as it wont suffer drought and will just have warmer weather.
The real people to suffer are those countries that were already challenged on having enough water and high temps.

I don't know whether you can attribute this particular winter to climate change; the Arctic is very cold, much colder than average this year which is why its warmer here. It's often been 20c colder in places there. There has been no SSW like last year which caused the cold in the USA.

Well the UK could have its water supply challenged as early as 2035 according to the EA.

That said, unless maybe I've misunderstood something, more rain is forecasted at the same time so :/
Original post by ANM775
i'm happy tbh

i hate the cold. february has been warm so far, lets hope it continues :h:

Whether you hate ir or not, it shouldn't be warm in february, albeit your definition of warm is subjective. it's been a little mild start but that will stop from today according to most forecasts and frosts will begin.

I like the cold in winter, and the hot in summer, in summer between 25c and 32c. But 35+ is too hot.
Original post by z-hog

The MWM has been debunked before. Europe was warmer, doesn't mean the rest of the world was.

I'd argue the Roman period is actually a better example to use given vineyards were grown as far north as Hadrian's wall.
I'm just hoping this winter doesn't mean another hot hot summer. Having looked at mild winters and where they've led to before, they don't appear to lead to any correlation, and if they are warmer it is only by 1c. in the past uk mild winters have led to rubbish summers like 2007, 2008 and 2012.

Surprisingly, last winter was actually average, well at least january was, it was just a few days in february that changed everything
Original post by 999tigger

Not only that, we are also an island so most of the heat from europe is lost at that point ,hence why we haven't really ever exceeded 39C. Even last year we only exceeded the last record by 0.2c, which was skeptical given at first they were sure it wouldn't be broken. That said, in winter we will be mild mild, not hot, so rubbish temps like 10c-15c which is too warm for snow but still too cold for anything else. All we're getting this winter is southwesterly winds
Reply 14
The MWM has been debunked before. Europe was warmer, doesn't mean the rest of the world was.

The MWP has not been debunked, it is disputed by people paid to push the man-made global warming narrative and it was accepted as fact before we embarked on this charade. We can go by this..

.167505_10150125593854180_540729179_7892891_5644148_n.jpg

or this...

Medieval Warm Period1.jpg

or by this, the 'official' chart where it never happened...

hockeystick.jpg

It's a jungle out there.

I'd argue the Roman period is actually a better example to use given vineyards were grown as far north as Hadrian's wall.

If only people paid to push the man-made global warming narrative could rewrite historical records too...

There's far too much open to questioning, the whole edifice rests on the validity of Mann's hockey stick and that is even more disputed than the medieval warm period.
Original post by z-hog
The MWP has not been debunked, it is disputed by people paid to push the man-made global warming narrative and it was accepted as fact before we embarked on this charade. We can go by this..

.167505_10150125593854180_540729179_7892891_5644148_n.jpg

or this...

Medieval Warm Period1.jpg

or by this, the 'official' chart where it never happened...

hockeystick.jpg

It's a jungle out there.

If only people paid to push the man-made global warming narrative could rewrite historical records too...

There's far too much open to questioning, the whole edifice rests on the validity of Mann's hockey stick and that is even more disputed than the medieval warm period.

The thing is, you don't understand do you? 97% of scientists agree climate change is real, and that it is being caused by humans.

Put it this way. Why would they benefit by lying? How would governments benefit from lying? It's anything but beneficial.
Reply 16

I don't know why this is even news anymore tbh. We've known the world is getting warmer for about a century now or longer. Its hardly surprising anymore considering we've done very little to rectify the situation.
Original post by RJ224
I don't know why this is even news anymore tbh. We've known the world is getting warmer for about a century now or longer. Its hardly surprising anymore considering we've done very little to rectify the situation.

No, that's not true, global warming theories started in the 70s after the global cooling ones. and even then most people who talked about it were viewed as nutjobs like prince charles.

And I'd be more concerned if the arctic was also warm or very warm at this time, but its not. last year it was warmer but the midwest of the usa was very cold as a result.

These mild winters are more likely, but its still nowhere near as mild as January 1916. Or 2007. Or 2008.

And I'm only raising awareness. Most media aren't reporting this as its in theory not that mild compared to others, but a lot of people have no understanding of what real cold is
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
No, that's not true, global warming theories started in the 70s after the global cooling ones. and even then most people who talked about it were viewed as nutjobs like prince charles.

And I'd be more concerned if the arctic was also warm or very warm at this time, but its not. last year it was warmer but the midwest of the usa was very cold as a result.

These mild winters are more likely, but its still nowhere near as mild as January 1916. Or 2007. Or 2008.

And I'm only raising awareness. Most media aren't reporting this as its in theory not that mild compared to others, but a lot of people have no understanding of what real cold is

Nope tyndall was probably one of the first to theorise about it and he died eons ago. Sagan was warning about it in the 70' s and exxon recently testified in Congress that they knew about it even back then. In fact their predictive models have proven to be very accurate. It's just that they chose to put profit above the environment.

And its called global warming remember. The USA was having blizzards last year but that's just one particular area. Overall the world is getting warmer. Doesn't mean it will never be cold again. Its an average.
Original post by RJ224
Nope tyndall was probably one of the first to theorise about it and he died eons ago. Sagan was warning about it in the 70' s and exxon recently testified in Congress that they knew about it even back then. In fact their predictive models have proven to be very accurate. It's just that they chose to put profit above the environment.

And its called global warming remember. The USA was having blizzards last year but that's just one particular area. Overall the world is getting warmer. Doesn't mean it will never be cold again. Its an average.

As I said, that was because of an SSW in the arctic which meant temps in the air over there increased by over 50C and the arctic was much warmer than average. For the last month or so, I've been checking tempreatures in Europe, North America and the arctic. Arctic is about 20c colder than average in some parts, as is Canada, whilst some parts of europe have been ridiculously mild for the time of year, with southern europe having temps over 25c. And Russia had the mildest January.

Quick Reply