The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ironic that one person was holding a sign saying "education not indoctrination". Always funny.
Reply 2
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
Ironic that one person was holding a sign saying "education not indoctrination". Always funny.

How is that ironic?
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
I think he would certainly benefit from attending the No Outsiders lessons, he might actually learn something.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/03/dad-refuses-send-son-school-lgbt-lessons-facing-jail-12175523/

I think you should be able to choose. I'm not sure how it is now but when I was in high school religious families didn't want their kids to learn about other religions in Religious Studies and so the kids had to leave the class because of their parents and the media didn't moan about it. If he has taken his son entirely out of school then yes, that is wrong, but if he doesn't want his son to attend those lessons he shouldn't be prosecuted. If it was for a religious reason, such as a Muslim family not wanting their child to hear those things because it is against there religion I'm sure there wouldn't be this much attention. Anyway, just my view.
Original post by Napp
How is that ironic?

Really? Most religion is continued by the indoctrination of children, and that women in the picture was against the education of children due to their religion, which was a result of indoctrination. Basically she was against education because of her indoctrination, therefore irony.
Original post by Capitalist_Lamb
I think you should be able to choose. I'm not sure how it is now but when I was in high school religious families didn't want their kids to learn about other religions in Religious Studies and so the kids had to leave the class because of their parents and the media didn't moan about it. If he has taken his son entirely out of school then yes, that is wrong, but if he doesn't want his son to attend those lessons he shouldn't be prosecuted. If it was for a religious reason, such as a Muslim family not wanting their child to hear those things because it is against there religion I'm sure there wouldn't be this much attention. Anyway, just my view.

It is for a religious reason, they don't want any sort of lgbt education because it goes against their religion.

The lessons are mandatory and this school has been in the media a lot due to the Muslim protesters. The defendant appears to be Muslim rather unsurprisingly.
Reply 7
Really? Most religion is continued by the indoctrination of children, and that women in the picture was against the education of children due to their religion, which was a result of indoctrination. Basically she was against education because of her indoctrination, therefore irony.

She was against a small and very specific aspect of the teaching. That is hardly 'again education'.
Reply 8
The lessons are mandatory and this school has been in the media a lot due to the Muslim protesters. The defendant appears to be Muslim rather unsurprisingly.

They have not an insignificant amount of support from various other religious quarters. What with all abrahamic faiths taking a rather dim view on homosexuality though.
Original post by Napp
She was against a small and very specific aspect of the teaching. That is hardly 'again education'.

If she is against the learning of information, then I'm afraid she is against education.
Reply 10
If she is against the learning of information, then I'm afraid she is against education.

Err no? She is quite clearly not against all education - which is what youre trying to say.

It is for a religious reason, they don't want any sort of lgbt education because it goes against their religion.

I think that there is no problem here. I think people should be able to, out of there own free will choose what they want to and what they don't want to hear. They want to hear it, sure, they don't not an issue. It's good to learn about these things but a parent has the right to raise their child how they want (if they are not doing anything criminally wrong) until it is old enough to make its own decisions.
Original post by Napp
Err no? She is quite clearly not against all education - which is what youre trying to say.

I don't think it is what I was saying, when did I say all?

Religious reasons aren't good enough for an excuse. There are gay Muslims. There are trans Muslims. They are still Muslims.
Same with Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Jewish people, every religion has LGBT members an an LGBT history.
Being religious is every day life, and for some gay and trans people its part of their every day life.
If this father is so uneducated about his own religion that he thinks being gay or trans is incompatible with it? I feel so terribly sorry for how bland and narrow his world must be.
I think that there is no problem here. I think people should be able to, out of there own free will choose what they want to and what they don't want to hear. They want to hear it, sure, they don't not an issue. It's good to learn about these things but a parent has the right to raise their child how they want (if they are not doing anything criminally wrong) until it is old enough to make its own decisions.

The aim of the education was to try and decrease the amount of hate crimes and general hatred towards the lgbt community. They learn about sex and drug education, so why not some lgbt education?
Reply 15
I don't think it is what I was saying, when did I say all?

By saying 'she is against education' the only real way to interpret that is you saying she is against all education. Especially as you said she is not against a specific aspect of education.
I think he would certainly benefit from attending the No Outsiders lessons, he might actually learn something.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/03/dad-refuses-send-son-school-lgbt-lessons-facing-jail-12175523/

Surely denying a child their education does warrant child abuse?
Original post by Napp
By saying 'she is against education' the only real way to interpret that is you saying she is against all education. Especially as you said she is not against a specific aspect of education.

That's the way you interpreted it, which is not what it says. You're just trying to start an argument or discussion probably because you're bored. I won't fall for it. There is no need for me to include 'some areas of education' because it's clearly implied that my use of education was tied in with the thread.
Original post by princetonalec
Religious reasons aren't good enough for an excuse. There are gay Muslims. There are trans Muslims. They are still Muslims.
Same with Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Jewish people, every religion has LGBT members an an LGBT history.
Being religious is every day life, and for some gay and trans people its part of their every day life.
If this father is so uneducated about his own religion that he thinks being gay or trans is incompatible with it? I feel so terribly sorry for how bland and narrow his world must be.

I agree it should be taught I was just correcting the other poster who said something about it not relating to religion. I'm in full support of the lgbt+ community.
The aim of the education was to try and decrease the amount of hate crimes and general hatred towards the lgbt community. They learn about sex and drug education, so why not some lgbt education?

The thing is it could be deemed a hate crime towards there religion as you are going against it and saying it's okay to be gay, bi, etc, etc. I don't think either is a hate crime but you could spin it this way. Also, kids only have to take part in the scientific areas of sex education, the part about reproduction, etc. The rest is not compulsory and so the parent can withdraw the child from those lessons.

Source - https://www.gov.uk/national-curriculum/other-compulsory-subjects

Latest

Trending

Trending