The Student Room Group

Will I be on apprentice wage?

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone knows and can help me, I’ve got a job interview this afternoon at a nursery 40 hours a week, I’m 20 years old, 21 in July, a couple of years ago I completed my Level 2 childcare certificate at a different nursery on apprentice wage, this new nursery if I’m successful I will be completing my level 3 qualification. I’ve googled and it says that if your in your first year apprenticeship you will be on £3.90 apprentice wage, whereas if your on your second year you will be on the national minimum wage for your age, which would be £6.15 until I turn 21. I’m just wondering wether I’d be classed as a first year apprenticeship in a new setting, even though I’ve already qualified as a level 2 and done my first year? I’m just asking as I have a daughter who will be coming in to nursery with me 3 days a week and childcare fees are very expensive and so I’d be working full time just to pay those fees if I was on apprentice wage. If anyone can help me I’ll be great full Thankyou!
3.90 is the minimum apprentice wage, not all apprenticeships pay that, they usually pay more. so it will depend on the company
Reply 2
Original post by Gent2324
3.90 is the minimum apprentice wage, not all apprenticeships pay that, they usually pay more. so it will depend on the company

Thankyou, I just wasn’t sure to wether they’d see me as a first year or second year apprentice!
i started my apprenticeship when i was 16 last July ans i started on £4.40 im now 17 and still on £4.40 i was lucky enough to get put on a bit more then the minimum as soon as i started, as far as i knew i thought that it had to be your duration of you apprenticeship and that particular workplace so in would've thought you'd been on less then your minimum wage until you finish your first year. i don't know weather this helps or not but i would recommend that you contact the employer and explain your situation and inquire about the wage :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by chlveward
i started my apprenticeship when i was 16 last July ans i started on £4.40 im now 17 and still on £4.40 i was lucky enough to get put on a bit more then the minimum as soon as i started, as far as i knew i thought that it had to be your duration of you apprenticeship and that particular workplace so in would've thought you'd been on less then your minimum wage until you finish your first year. i don't know weather this helps or not but i would recommend that you contact the employer and explain your situation and inquire about the wage :smile:

Ahhhh okay thankyou! I was just getting confused as I’ve already done my first year apprenticeship but didn’t know if with it being at a different setting I’d be classed as first year again even tho I’d be doing my level 3 and not 2 x
Original post by sophholtx
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone knows and can help me, I’ve got a job interview this afternoon at a nursery 40 hours a week, I’m 20 years old, 21 in July, a couple of years ago I completed my Level 2 childcare certificate at a different nursery on apprentice wage, this new nursery if I’m successful I will be completing my level 3 qualification. I’ve googled and it says that if your in your first year apprenticeship you will be on £3.90 apprentice wage, whereas if your on your second year you will be on the national minimum wage for your age, which would be £6.15 until I turn 21. I’m just wondering wether I’d be classed as a first year apprenticeship in a new setting, even though I’ve already qualified as a level 2 and done my first year? I’m just asking as I have a daughter who will be coming in to nursery with me 3 days a week and childcare fees are very expensive and so I’d be working full time just to pay those fees if I was on apprentice wage. If anyone can help me I’ll be great full Thankyou!

This varies from company to company but typically companies (unless on a strict program like a BAE systems or Rolls Royce apprenticeship) will pay you based on your prior experience. This means that you having completed a certificate already should mean that the company will pay you more than someone with no prior experience. This doesn't mean that you won't be considered a first year because you probably will but the pay may not take any bearing on the length of time you have been employed with the specific company.
Original post by sophholtx
Ahhhh okay thankyou! I was just getting confused as I’ve already done my first year apprenticeship but didn’t know if with it being at a different setting I’d be classed as first year again even tho I’d be doing my level 3 and not 2 x

i think as long as you are staying in the same industry in your case childcare i think you should go onto the minimum wage when you start as youve already done a year, i was interested to find out myself so i asked my assessor and thats what she had told me the other day.again i could be completely wrong but it came from someone who deals with apprenticeships x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending