The Student Room Group

Walking at night

Kinda scared... I’m meeting with some people at their flat (university) and to get there I’ve got to walk like 30 minutes. We’re meeting at around 10pm and it’s gonna be a really dark walk to get there. It’s just so quiet at night and I’m kinda anxious about it, there’s a really lonely street with like no light at all on the way and it’s just scary walking through there alone so late. And just generally the whole walk is gonna be quiet anyway this late. I’m scared of getting mugged, attacked, kidnapped, raped... it’s SO unlikely anything bads gonna happen but like how do I keep myself safe? Just in case... Hold my keys clearly in my fist? Walk super fast? It’s just scaring me a bit... I would get a taxi but again I’m on my own and I just hate getting taxis on my own, don’t ask me why because I have no idea myself. It just makes me anxious...

Even worse, after we’ve all gone out to this club we’re going to, how do I get back? It’s gonna be so late and I’ll have to walk all the way back 30 minutes in the dark at like 3am 😭
Original post by Anonymous
Kinda scared... I’m meeting with some people at their flat (university) and to get there I’ve got to walk like 30 minutes. We’re meeting at around 10pm and it’s gonna be a really dark walk to get there. It’s just so quiet at night and I’m kinda anxious about it, there’s a really lonely street with like no light at all on the way and it’s just scary walking through there alone so late. And just generally the whole walk is gonna be quiet anyway this late. I’m scared of getting mugged, attacked, kidnapped, raped... it’s SO unlikely anything bads gonna happen but like how do I keep myself safe? Just in case... Hold my keys clearly in my fist? Walk super fast? It’s just scaring me a bit... I would get a taxi but again I’m on my own and I just hate getting taxis on my own, don’t ask me why because I have no idea myself. It just makes me anxious...

Even worse, after we’ve all gone out to this club we’re going to, how do I get back? It’s gonna be so late and I’ll have to walk all the way back 30 minutes in the dark at like 3am 😭

Can your friends meet you at a closer, more well-lit location? Or get someone to accompany you? The only other option is to get a taxi/uber.

I've actually cancelled plans with friends before when I've been expected to walk alone at night for more than a few minutes (and there's no other way around it). Better to be safe than sorry.

Headphones in, if you smoke smoke, hood up and most of all just talk to yourself in your head. Had to do this a lot walking home from nights out.
If you don't feel safe or comfortable then don't walk. It is as simple as that.

I would suggest you get an Uber to your friend's flat. Share you Uber details with a pal so they can track your Uber for you.

I'd also recommend you get an Uber back home, especially if you will be going home at 3am and possibly drunk. Even better would be if a friend would let you stay with them instead of expecting you to walk home in the early hours drunk.

You need to come up with a safe and sensible plan for yourself.

Please don't put yourself in any dangerous situations. A 30 minute walk is quite a journey on foot.

I always phone someone that way if someone knows where you are and they will be able to hear if something happens to you
Original post by mollymooxxx
I always phone someone that way if someone knows where you are and they will be able to hear if something happens to you

Yeah ^^
Jump on a phone call.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending