The Student Room Group

Can I get funding for nursing as a second degree?

Hello!

I'm currently in my final year of an undergraduate education (BA) degree. However, I want to apply to study a Nursing BSc degree soon. Would I be eligible for student loans? I've been told told for nursing courses funding is slightly different.

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Barack Obama
Hello!

I'm currently in my final year of an undergraduate education (BA) degree. However, I want to apply to study a Nursing BSc degree soon. Would I be eligible for student loans? I've been told told for nursing courses funding is slightly different.

Thank you!

yes generally you should be eligible for funding as it's a second degree which is funded.
Original post by Barack Obama
Hello!

Thank you!

Hi Barack Obama,

You will be pleased to know that if you are studying Nursing, Midwifery or an AHP course, any previous study or Equivalent Level Qualification you hold will be disregarded.

Nursing is classed as an exception course and you will be eligible to apply for full support as a second degree.

Regards Rona
Hi rona, I'm considering applying for an AHP course. I already hold an arts BA and an MA. Would I be eligible for funding? If yes, would this just be tuition fees or full support? Myself and my partner are on low income and I am dyslexic.Thanks :smile:
Hi chicken31,

Can you confirm what course your wishing to do? Would you be doing the course full time or part time?
Thanks
Claire
Hi , I have a BA degree in sociology from few years ago. I now want to study midwifery. I am also an EU citizen with indefinite leave to remain in the UK. Would I be able to get funding to help pay for the tuition fees?
Hi @Rahmz2020 ,

As Midwifery is classed as a Allied Health Professional (AHP) course your previous study would be disregarded and you should be eligible for funding.

Regards, Aisha
Hi, i have a bachelors and a separate msc degree in engineering and was wandering if i woud be eligible for funding for another sscond masters in nursing or second bachelors degree
Original post by Coilygirl
Hi, i have a bachelors and a separate msc degree in engineering and was wandering if i woud be eligible for funding for another sscond masters in nursing or second bachelors degree

Hi,

Can you confirm your course details so that we can check that for you?

Thanks, Chanel
Hi,I have a midwifery degree which was funded by student finance. Could I get funding for second degree in mental health nursing? Thanks, Emma
Original post by Emmaleeen
Hi,I have a midwifery degree which was funded by student finance. Could I get funding for second degree in mental health nursing? Thanks, Emma

Hi Emma,

Yes you can apply for a second degree as this is an exception to previous study rules and both courses are a different field.

Thanks, Chanel
I’m studying a FDSC in health an social care. When I’ve finished I will of used three years of funding. I’m hoping to go on to study an honours degree in nursing. Will I receive funding?
Original post by SophieS199
I’m studying a FDSC in health an social care. When I’ve finished I will of used three years of funding. I’m hoping to go on to study an honours degree in nursing. Will I receive funding?

Hello Sophie,

Yes, you should be eligible for funding as nursing degrees are an exception to our previous study rules.

Thanks, Erin N.
Reply 13
I have a marketing related BA (hons) degree - woud I qualify for full funding to study nursing?Many thanks in advance for any information you can provideAdam
I have a degree (BSc marine biology) but now want to change career and study a nursing degree - which it sounds like I would get funding for? So assuming the second degree will be funded by student finance, I want to know how my two degrees’ loans will be paid off - will the two loans for both degrees be added together into one big pot that I pay off the same way as if it was just one loan (pay 9% of my income over £26000). Or will they be treated as seperate loans that I’ll have to pay 9% of my income for each degree (essentially meaning I’d pay 18% of my income over £26000)? Sorry if I worded it in a confusing way, I hope the question makes sense. Thanks, Mel.
Original post by FlyBown
I have a marketing related BA (hons) degree - woud I qualify for full funding to study nursing?Many thanks in advance for any information you can provideAdam

Hi there,

Are you professionally registered in the field of nursing?

Thanks,
Chanel
Original post by Mel.1996
I have a degree (BSc marine biology) but now want to change career and study a nursing degree - which it sounds like I would get funding for? So assuming the second degree will be funded by student finance, I want to know how my two degrees’ loans will be paid off - will the two loans for both degrees be added together into one big pot that I pay off the same way as if it was just one loan (pay 9% of my income over £26000). Or will they be treated as seperate loans that I’ll have to pay 9% of my income for each degree (essentially meaning I’d pay 18% of my income over £26000)? Sorry if I worded it in a confusing way, I hope the question makes sense. Thanks, Mel.

Hi there,

Are you professionally registered in the field of nursing?

In regards to repaying your student loan, both loans will be combined and you'll start repayment once you're earning above the threshold.

Thanks,
Chanel
Reply 17
Hi, does anyone know where I stand with this?I previously completed my first year and the first semester of my second year in midwifery. Unfortunately the university wasn’t for me and I withdrew from the course. I’m wanting to reapply to a different university to study midwifery but I’m unsure whether I would get funding for the 2 years I’ve attended for?
Original post by CHill95
Hi, does anyone know where I stand with this?I previously completed my first year and the first semester of my second year in midwifery. Unfortunately the university wasn’t for me and I withdrew from the course. I’m wanting to reapply to a different university to study midwifery but I’m unsure whether I would get funding for the 2 years I’ve attended for?

It’s an exception course so you should be funded as long as you are not already a registered midwife. If you repeat so many times the assessors may not award funding, you should apply ASAP to get an official decision.
Hi,I am about to graduate with a BA in Musical Theatre; would I be eligible for a fully funded nursing undergraduate course?Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending