The Student Room Group

Coronavirus positive woman on flight with quarantined Brits

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/woman-coronavirus-same-flight-brits-17690614

A woman from Belgium on the evacuation flight with the Brits quarantined at Arrow Park has tested positive for the virus. This means there’s a chance a few of the British people may have caught it and then, since its infectious during incubation, may have passed it on to others being quarantined, since apparently they were (and still are) in physical contact with each other.

Will this mean if one Brit tests positive the rest will have to stay for another 14 days in individual quarantine since the incubation period is 14 days? Or will they just be let out and risk having the virus spread?

This comes after the U.K. government has urged around 30,000 British citizens to come back from China (obviously they can’t quarantine this number of people).

Will there be an epidemic in the U.K. and are we witnessing the start of the next global pandemic?

Considering 20% of cases are “critical” and the virus appears to have mutated to be more infectious, this seems like something the U.K. may not be prepared for if too many people get infected at the same time due to limited hospital space and supplies.

Additionally while there have been over 400 deaths, there has only been a bit over 700 recoveries, so the death rate may not only be 2% (which only compared total case numbers with deaths), however if the recoveries isn’t acknowledging those with mild symptoms the mortality rate may not be as high as these numbers suggest.
Reply 1
all those on the flight were quarantined for 14 days i think so it greatly reduces any chances of spread to the public- also the vaccine is being developed and well underway so I am hopeful that acctually corona will be halted by summer or autumn at least
Reply 2
Original post by tzouii
all those on the flight were quarantined for 14 days i think so it greatly reduces any chances of spread to the public- also the vaccine is being developed and well underway so I am hopeful that acctually corona will be halted by summer or autumn at least

Bear in mind SARS lasted from November 2002 - April 2004, although only 4 cases were in the U.K. and SARS only infected a total of 8000 people in over a year and was less infectious than n2019-coronavirus which has already infected over 20,000 in 1-2 months.

I can’t see it being sorted that soon, unless there are extreme (potentially global) travel restrictions placed which again I can’t see happening due to the economy. Of course if a vaccine is developed, that will influence the timing of the end of the soon-to-be pandemic. This vaccine would have to be distributed fairly quickly in case the virus mutates to become resistant,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending