The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

2020 Cambridge PhD in Education

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EduEnthusiast
Has anyone else heard back this week? I’m starting to get really nervous...

Not sure if this is reassuring, but they're apparently (from a conversation with a faculty member) making decisions through end of term, and leaving many decisions til after this term. It would seem they're ruling out the outliers- outstanding apps they want to snap up quickly and clear rejections.

I will tell you I've gone through a 24-hour whirlwind-- I was rejected for the PhD, then contacted and told it was because my MA came from a school that apparently did some not-great things recently, then was told I was being reconsidered due to my dates of attendance there (prior to their nonsense), and now that there's a serious possibility that I might be referred to an MA, or sent to an English PhD, or an English MA. I'm not sure how I could have made this whole process any more complicated if I tried!

So long story short, not worth trying to guess what is happening or guess what they're doing. I don't think they're as concerned as we are :smile: because they have a lot going on!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by noynpod
Hi! So I applied for an M.Phil in Education and moved to the GAO on 22nd January. I am presently a bit worried about it as I might be the first person to go to Cambridge from my Indian university and the GAO looks for the standard of the programme. While the programme is rigorous, and two Cambridge alumni (one M.Phil and PhD and another BA, MA and M.Phil from Cam) do teach there, it is a relatively new university at 10 years old.
Got an email asking for an interview as the GAO has asked the department to make an academic case for me. What should I expect? Does anyone have any insight or advice for me on this?

Hello! I am from India too and got conditional offers for the two MPhil Education courses I applied for.

Congratulations on ur admit.

You need not worry about it and it's jus that Cambridge need a confirmation!
Reply 42
Original post by Sekhar4dev
Hello! I am from India too and got conditional offers for the two MPhil Education courses I applied for.

Congratulations on ur admit.

You need not worry about it and it's jus that Cambridge need a confirmation!

Wow many congratulations! :biggrin:

I am still at GAO though. The interview went well and I think I do have the department's support. Hopefully the GAO will approve my academic case.

What were the two courses you applied for? Did you attend a well-known/ranked university for undergrad?
Original post by noynpod
Wow many congratulations! :biggrin:

I am still at GAO though. The interview went well and I think I do have the department's support. Hopefully the GAO will approve my academic case.

What were the two courses you applied for? Did you attend a well-known/ranked university for undergrad?

You will be in the league sooner!
I have applied for MPhil Education and Psychology and MPhil Education Leadership and School Improvement.

No!
So it looks like I will be in the Children’s Lit strand if I attend. Wonder if I can take classes in the Ed/ Psych realm anyway? It would really help my intended research!
Original post by jillybean06
So it looks like I will be in the Children’s Lit strand if I attend. Wonder if I can take classes in the Ed/ Psych realm anyway? It would really help my intended research!

It would depend on the program you're in and if your required courses clash with those (This is more likely if you're an MPhil or MEd). I doubt anyone would decline your request to join a lecture. I wouldn't focus too heavily on course work though. Cambridge aims to develop independent researchers, so independent reading, discussions with your supervisor, and networking with people involved in EdPsych are just as valuable (if not more) than attending lectures in EdPsych. If you're a PhD student your lectures are research based, and not specific to your area of study anyway. But there would be EdPsych people in your cohort. Also, if you're doing a PhD you will get a supervisor and an advisor. So if your research is in children's lit but related to EdPsych then maybe you'll have a supervisor in children's lit and an advisor in EdPsych.
Original post by s2nielse
It would depend on the program you're in and if your required courses clash with those (This is more likely if you're an MPhil or MEd). I doubt anyone would decline your request to join a lecture. I wouldn't focus too heavily on course work though. Cambridge aims to develop independent researchers, so independent reading, discussions with your supervisor, and networking with people involved in EdPsych are just as valuable (if not more) than attending lectures in EdPsych. If you're a PhD student your lectures are research based, and not specific to your area of study anyway. But there would be EdPsych people in your cohort. Also, if you're doing a PhD you will get a supervisor and an advisor. So if your research is in children's lit but related to EdPsych then maybe you'll have a supervisor in children's lit and an advisor in EdPsych.

That’s really good info! Thank you!
Reply 47
I have applied for MPhil Education and Psychology and MPhil Education Leadership and School Improvement.

No!

Awesome! Thank you so much. That was very reassuring to hear. :smile:
Original post by jillybean06
Not sure if this is reassuring, but they're apparently (from a conversation with a faculty member) making decisions through end of term, and leaving many decisions til after this term. It would seem they're ruling out the outliers- outstanding apps they want to snap up quickly and clear rejections.

I will tell you I've gone through a 24-hour whirlwind-- I was rejected for the PhD, then contacted and told it was because my MA came from a school that apparently did some not-great things recently, then was told I was being reconsidered due to my dates of attendance there (prior to their nonsense), and now that there's a serious possibility that I might be referred to an MA, or sent to an English PhD, or an English MA. I'm not sure how I could have made this whole process any more complicated if I tried!

So long story short, not worth trying to guess what is happening or guess what they're doing. I don't think they're as concerned as we are :smile: because they have a lot going on!

Thanks for sharing this info. So do you think if I haven't received an MPhil Ed offer yet then it is more likely to be a rejection? I interviewed on Jan 22nd and am still at the under review by department stage. It seems like a lot of MPhil Ed offers have gone out already. Given my unrelated BA degree and relatively short (~2 years) work experience in the ed sector, it seems that perhaps my chance are not so good.
Hi everyone! I also applied for an MPhil in Psychology and Education, and didn't see any change in my application status so far (still under department review). By reading this thread, it seems like I should brace for a disappointing result. Oh well..
Reply 50
Original post by Kenansadhu
Hi everyone! I also applied for an MPhil in Psychology and Education, and didn't see any change in my application status so far (still under department review). By reading this thread, it seems like I should brace for a disappointing result. Oh well..

Hi! I applied for the same program by the 5 Dec. ddl, and my application status has been under department review for two months... maybe no news is good news?
Reply 51

No!

Congrats!! I also applied for the MPhil in psychology and education. Would you mind share about your timeline? thx:biggrin:
I submitted on 5 Dec, and then under department review till now...now trying to prepare myself for a rej letter...
Original post by haha126
Hi! I applied for the same program by the 5 Dec. ddl, and my application status has been under department review for two months... maybe no news is good news?

I certainly hope so!
Reply 53
Hi there! I applied to the same program and moved to GAO yesterday, so I think they are still in the process of sorting through the applications. Good luck to you both!
Original post by haha126
Congrats!! I also applied for the MPhil in psychology and education. Would you mind share about your timeline? thx:biggrin:
I submitted on 5 Dec, and then under department review till now...now trying to prepare myself for a rej letter...

Yeah, basically the same timeline for me (I submitted it a day before the funding deadline). Still stuck on department review. Good luck to you too!
Original post by Mav1234
Hi there! I applied to the same program and moved to GAO yesterday, so I think they are still in the process of sorting through the applications. Good luck to you both!

Hey congratulations! From what people are saying, you're basically accepted, right? It's great to see any movement in the application process. Please let us know when you got an offer!
Reply 56
Original post by Mav1234
Hi there! I applied to the same program and moved to GAO yesterday, so I think they are still in the process of sorting through the applications. Good luck to you both

Congratulations!! Many thanks for your updates! :biggrin:
Reply 57
I just got my conditional offer for M.Phil in Education (Knowledge, Power and Politics)!
Submitted : 2nd December
Under review by department : 6th December 2019
GAO : 22nd January 2020
Offer: 5th February

Thank you to everyone on this forum who have helped me and reassured me throughout! :smile:
Hi guys,
Congrats for those who received an offer.
Any news updates yet on PhD-applications? I have submitted my application on the 3th of December (on the funding deadline) and still under review by the department. So I'll take this as: no news, is good news (stay positive :smile: )
Original post by doornroosje123
Hi guys,
Congrats for those who received an offer.
Any news updates yet on PhD-applications? I have submitted my application on the 3th of December (on the funding deadline) and still under review by the department. So I'll take this as: no news, is good news (stay positive :smile: )

I had a look at last year's Ed PhD forum, and it seems as though PhD news started to trickle out late Feb/Early March. I believe supervisor recommendations were due 2 weeks ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending