The Student Room Group

MA/MPhil and PhD English Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jillybean06
Dang! Well here’s hoping indeed!

In the meantime... it looks like we’re all interested in some varied areas, and like @SixteenHundred pointed out, nobody is being snooty about their reading. So what’s been everyone’s least favorite assigned books? 😁 Mine is definitely My Antonia. Why write a whole book about a place whose greatest achievement to date is “Car Henge”, and even that didn’t exist yet in the book?

Oh g o d, we had to read My Antonia in Michaelmas. Drove me crazy - that was like war flashbacks, I tell you.
Cather's is a strong contender, but it would have to go to Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. The bikes were the best bit, and that's saying something...
Reply 41

In the meantime... it looks like we’re all interested in some varied areas, and like @SixteenHundred pointed out, nobody is being snooty about their reading. So what’s been everyone’s least favorite assigned books? 😁 Mine is definitely My Antonia. Why write a whole book about a place whose greatest achievement to date is “Car Henge”, and even that didn’t exist yet in the book?

Ooh, I haven’t heard of My Antonia, what is it?

Mine has to be Riddley Walker. I believe it was very popular when it was published but getting through it was the hardest struggle of my reading life to date lol. I found the plot confusing enough, and then the whole thing is written in a made up dialect, just to make it even harder.

Omg no!!! I'm writing my dissertation on My Antonia (+ Pale Fire & The Black Prince) and I'm sad to hear you don't like it! I LOVE it, although think it's more interesting as a novel if you read Jim as an unreliable narrator. As for my least favourite books, all the course reading I've hated has (strangely) been contemporary - we did some genuinely *bad* novels for a global queer reading course I did, although I think that is probably more to do with the fact that there still isn't an huge range of LGBT fiction being published, esp. outside of Europe/America. Have also hated every Margaret Atwood novel I've ever studied - I don't understand why people love her so much!
(edited 4 years ago)

Sounds oddly fascinating!

Uhm... you know that's a surprisingly hard question, to spark some controversy I have to say Tristram Shandy because I have hated nothing in my life like that book. It's brilliant and radical in so many ways, but I still hate it. Every aspect of it. I have grown to hate it even more because, since it's considered such an important book, I have had to read it twice already and god I hope it won't come across it again in my studies.

Also, while not a book, having to read Freud's writing about femininity (to quote: "it seems that women have made few contributions to the discoveries and inventions in the history of civilisation...") was pretty painful!
Original post by martaganger
Also, while not a book, having to read Freud's writing about femininity (to quote: "it seems that women have made few contributions to the discoveries and inventions in the history of civilisation...") was pretty painful!

o u c h
Anyone contacted the AD to ask how strikes will affect the application process? And has anyone heard back from other places they've applied to? :smile:
Original post by 1998Anonymous
Anyone contacted the AD to ask how strikes will affect the application process? And has anyone heard back from other places they've applied to? :smile:

No, I'd imagine they're not sure yet based on previous strikes last year. And I have an offer for a PhD at one other university (which came through gratifyingly fast!), but it's a little meaningless without funding for me, as I can't self-fund.
Reply 47

Uhm... you know that's a surprisingly hard question, to spark some controversy I have to say Tristram Shandy because I have hated nothing in my life like that book. It's brilliant and radical in so many ways, but I still hate it. Every aspect of it. I have grown to hate it even more because, since it's considered such an important book, I have had to read it twice already and god I hope it won't come across it again in my studies.

I hated Tristram Shandy too! Yay for solidarity
Hi everyone! English PhD (medieval) applicant here! Waiting anxiously to be moved from degree committee like everyone. I am currently an Mphil student here at Cambridge.
Currently re-reading the Morte Darthur as I am writing my Mphil dissertation on it :smile:
Original post by SixteenHundred
No, I'd imagine they're not sure yet based on previous strikes last year. And I have an offer for a PhD at one other university (which came through gratifyingly fast!), but it's a little meaningless without funding for me, as I can't self-fund.

Congrats! I hope your funding works out somewhere :smile: I’m in a similar boat with two wait-list emails for US schools this week, but I can’t imagine anyone turning down their spots. Did you apply to several schools?
Original post by alevin11
Hi everyone! English PhD (medieval) applicant here! Waiting anxiously to be moved from degree committee like everyone. I am currently an Mphil student here at Cambridge.
Currently re-reading the Morte Darthur as I am writing my Mphil dissertation on it :smile:

I love the Morte Darthur! I'm not a medievalist but I had a great time reading it at undergrad. What's your dissertation about?

Congrats! I hope your funding works out somewhere :smile: I’m in a similar boat with two wait-list emails for US schools this week, but I can’t imagine anyone turning down their spots. Did you apply to several schools?

Thank you - and people do have to turn spots down, especially if they apply to multiple places! I have a friend who was waitlisted for funding in London last year and received an offer. I applied to three UK PhD programmes including Cambridge, and three separate funding consortia - not many but it was still very time-consuming!
Original post by SixteenHundred
I love the Morte Darthur! I'm not a medievalist but I had a great time reading it at undergrad. What's your dissertation about?

Thank you - and people do have to turn spots down, especially if they apply to multiple places! I have a friend who was waitlisted for funding in London last year and received an offer. I applied to three UK PhD programmes including Cambridge, and three separate funding consortia - not many but it was still very time-consuming!

My dissertation is on agency and consent in the morte. I absolutely love my dissertation topic and want to expand it in the PhD (If they'll let me haha).
(edited 4 years ago)

Oh, cool! Does that mean you're supervised by James Wade then? He taught me medieval when I was an undergraduate there. Lovely bloke :smile:
AAppreciate it's only February, but man does it feel like Eng fac are taking their time this year. I wonder if they had an unusually high volume of applicants or something? Out of all the people who have applied for PhDs and, especially, MPhils, I would expected that at least a few of us would be in the first batch getting creamed off by the committee, but nothing. I honestly reckon it could be another month before we hear anything. At this rate they'll have posted the funding decisions before the basic offers!
Original post by FlexyWex101
AAppreciate it's only February, but man does it feel like Eng fac are taking their time this year. I wonder if they had an unusually high volume of applicants or something? Out of all the people who have applied for PhDs and, especially, MPhils, I would expected that at least a few of us would be in the first batch getting creamed off by the committee, but nothing. I honestly reckon it could be another month before we hear anything. At this rate they'll have posted the funding decisions before the basic offers!

I had """a feeling"""" it was gonna be today we'd hear something. Literally convinced myself that it would be today for no other reason than I wanted it to be 😂 godssake
Original post by artisadoom
Omg no!!! I'm writing my dissertation on My Antonia (+ Pale Fire & The Black Prince) and I'm sad to hear you don't like it! I LOVE it, although think it's more interesting as a novel if you read Jim as an unreliable narrator. As for my least favourite books, all the course reading I've hated has (strangely) been contemporary - we did some genuinely *bad* novels for a global queer reading course I did, although I think that is probably more to do with the fact that there still isn't an huge range of LGBT fiction being published, esp. outside of Europe/America. Have also hated every Margaret Atwood novel I've ever studied - I don't understand why people love her so much!

Wait wait— I sincerely would love to hear more about your dissertation! To be fair, I think a lot of my hate stems from the midwest’s utter obsession with her and glorification of the ideals that are, frankly, creepy as a woman here. The University of Nebraska dining halls all have these absurd ‘80s style portrait/ tributes to Cather’s characters even. I wish I could show you. It’s fantastic.

That is a Big Oof right there.
My dissertation is on agency and consent in the Morte, focusing on how rash promises can affect women's agency over their own bodies. I absolutely love my dissertation topic and want to expand it in the PhD (If they'll let me haha).

That sounds like the coolest dissertation! And so important!

And whoever said they don’t care for Mark Twain, at least let me reassure you that Missourians love Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, but nobody enjoys the prose. I also am slightly baffled that you guys are reading Cather and Twain in the UK! Like, of all of the US authors. It’s really interesting! I wonder who else you guys read that Americans tend to avoid?
Original post by TwoLimes
I had """a feeling"""" it was gonna be today we'd hear something. Literally convinced myself that it would be today for no other reason than I wanted it to be 😂 godssake

Lol. I was completely the same. Was 100% convinced that it would be last Friday, but obvs heard nothing. It's frustrating having to wait so long, but on the upside, I guess this means that the wait between offers and funding won't be so drawn out. In my head, I've kind of said to myself that it's all okay until we get to April. If I haven't heard by then them I'm going full panic mode.
Original post by FlexyWex101
Oh, cool! Does that mean you're supervised by James Wade then? He taught me medieval when I was an undergraduate there. Lovely bloke :smile:

Yes! He's been a really great supervisor so far, put him down as my PhD supervisor too :smile:
Yes! He's been a really great supervisor so far, put him down as my PhD supervisor too :smile:

Aw, best of luck to you - he was my DoS for a little while too!

Another English PhD (Medieval) applicant!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending